JR976evil

Journalists

I could have sworn she died last year.

38 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

A bit like this year's Caroline Aherne where she took so many years you thought she'd never go.

At least she haven't have to suffer as long as Peter Falk.

• Like 1

Now hold on a second. All I'm seeing at the moment is twitter chatter, and while I certainly see a lot dead, when you look on her official site, nothing is showing up.  No announcement is showing up on the list. Now, I'm not saying it's not true, but the sources that people are posting to show that she's dead don't mention her death at all. I would wait until an obit shows up to say thats she's actually dead.

The BBC News UK Twitter account tweeted that she's dead, on top of many of the Twitter mourners being other Beeb presenters. It's legit.

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

The BBC News UK Twitter account tweeted that she's dead, on top of many of the Twitter mourners being other Beeb presenters. It's legit.

Strange. It wasn't showing up on my twitter search feed for some reason. Oh well, that's life for you...

No qualifying obit :0:0

Surely with a whole host of BBC journalists tweeting about her death one of the fuckers will have to write something nice about her in an actual article.

• Like 4

Did she actually write anything, apart from blogs?

I did have her in my DDP team a few years back, but came round to thinking she was more of a FFBI.

Pretty sure she used to appear on the national news as a reporter.

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

Did she actually write anything, apart from blogs?

I did have her in my DDP team a few years back, but came round to thinking she was more of a FFBI.

She did a few articles but she was better known as a foreign correspondent.Even after she got ill she covered some stories closer to home.I remember her doing Christoper Hitchens obituary.

• Like 1

OK, I never saw her on TV and never really heard anything about her outside her illness. 

https://twitter.com/FawkesHelen :She was tweeting four days ago and went to the polling station to vote and even said she was looking forward to voting again in the summer.Must have been a rapid final decline.

Sad. I thought she stopped cancer blogging because she was healed.

Perhaps it returned sneakily and without symptoms.

The obit might be in the hands of Mr. Secret Mirror writer.

Yeah I actually made a Windy City mistake in that I picked her for the pools at start of year then dropped her as nothing was happening on her blog and she seemed to have finished treatment.

If I had checked (done the job properly) I would have seen that she posted on 30th March saying she had been really ill and she had got married - when you've got cancer getting married seems to often be a sign it's game over.

Anyhow she has fulfilled two bucket lists of fun since she was first diagnosed and, whilst I'm sure it's been a pretty miserable and painful existence at times, she has lived the life she was given to the fullest so well done her and RIP.

There's surprisingly little of her on YouTube - I say surprising because every fucker has their life story on there, practically, it seems. But anyhow, here she is narrating Hitchens BBC obit in 2011.

She did a number of things on camera, but they don't seem to be showing up.

Rowena Kincaid stole her mojo.

For anyone still up, Fawkes Bucket List docu is being repeated in a minute or two on R5 as a tribute.

She's not on any of my lists, so this isn't self-interest speaking, but you'd think in that case they'd give a small mention on their news website!

I'm surprised she doesn't have a QO, considering she was on the Drop 40 from 2014-2016. 

As far as I can tell, all the tributes seem to have been televised, rather than written.

But, you know, Gholamreza Pahlavi managed to get a QO over a month later, so Helen still has a fawking chance.

Does it have to be a written QO? A tribute programme for 30mins you'd think would count , especially as not in a local station.

27 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

I'm surprised she doesn't have a QO, considering she was on the Drop 40 from 2014-2016. 

As far as I can tell, all the tributes seem to have been televised, rather than written.

I do have a vested interest and I agree with Charon. As I posted in Shaun's pool (but he hasn't confirmed) there was a two minute Obituary for her on Radio 4 6 o'clock news on 12th June - link on Shauns Death by Numbers thread. 

Shaun's requirement states BBC News as one of options - I would have thought BBC Radio 4 6 o'clock news was about as BBC News as you could get. 

Whilst Obituaries are more commonly written the definition does not exclude spoken word.

Has anyone checked the line up for Last Word?

Edit: I just have and she isn't on it.

17 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I do have a vested interest and I agree with Charon. As I posted in Shaun's pool (but he hasn't confirmed) there was a two minute Obituary for her on Radio 4 6 o'clock news on 12th June - link on Shauns Death by Numbers thread. 

Shaun's requirement states BBC News as one of options - I would have thought BBC Radio 4 6 o'clock news was about as BBC News as you could get. 

Whilst Obituaries are more commonly written the definition does not exclude spoken word.

I will check the letter of the obit rules for death by numbers but I think that will just scrape it.

On 6/12/2017 at 09:36, Shaun of the Dead said:

https://twitter.com/FawkesHelen :She was tweeting four days ago and went to the polling station to vote and even said she was looking forward to voting again in the summer.Must have been a rapid final decline.

Well, unless she's tweeting from beyond the grave, that's not the same Helen Fawkes.

This was her account, I believe.