JR976evil

Journalists

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

watching grand kids grow up?

I'll be 65 when my daughter graduates high school.  

12 years more like 12 months considering it has spead to his hips pelvis ribs and legs already.

Christ :(

RLP_MDG_060318TURNER_8358JPG.jpg

• Sad 2

Compare that to him a few months ago just before he was diagnosed.

sei_2225654.jpg

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I'll be 65 when my daughter graduates high school.  

My mate got married when he was 43 and his bride was pregnant at the wedding. Can't say I was envious of that part of his life starting when it did. At the same wedding - because we were out in the sticks and had some off road options available - I let my youngster drive the car for a bit of a laugh. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

My mate got married when he was 43 and his bride was pregnant at the wedding. Can't say I was envious of that part of his life starting when it did. At the same wedding - because we were out in the sticks and had some off road options available - I let my youngster drive the car for a bit of a laugh. 

Yes, a few years ago all my high school friends were posting A: photos of their children getting married, or B: photos of their children graduating from either college or high school themselves.  And I would say 'mine  is trying not to shit her diapers'. 
I guess there's always the one person who waited the longest, and in this case out of a graduating class of 620 it was Sir Creep, and his little Miss Munchkin Creep.  I admit it should have been taken care of when I was younger lol but I was 47 when my daughter arrived.  Well I'm not quite David Letterman or Ghandi, but I feel their pain.
SC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Guardian Journalist and environmental campaigner George Monbiot joins the latest line of people to reveal they have Prostate cancer

7 on the Gleason Scale.

Just for those of you who cant bear to look over a Monbiot article for that.

• Like 1

News is saying of an increase of Rickets to 130 over the last 2 years in the UK, yet we await the decrease by 1 with far more attention.

Just now, charon said:

News is saying of an increase of Rickets to 130 over the last 2 years in the UK, yet we await the decrease by 1 with far more attention.

Simon Ricketts?

Well, yes.

What's a 't' between friends.....

Michael Getler, a Washington Post foreign correspondent and editor who later led the Paris-based International Herald Tribune and served as an incisive in-house media critic at The Post and PBS, died March 15 at a hospice center in Washington. He was 82.

The cause was complications from bile duct cancer.

SC

• Sad 1

Now there are some stoic folks who read with uneasy displeasure my smarmy heartwarming puns. This entry is too easy, and you know you were thinking what I'm thinking already.  So I'll let it go.

The founder and former President of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) Les Payne passed away unexpectedly at his New York home on Monday night. He was 76.

The award-winning journalist, who was an editor at Newsday, suffered a heart attack, according to the New York Daily News. 

Les Payne.....I mean ....c'mon.
SC

Oh ok let's get this party started:
- He's in a lot Les Payne now.
- They say “Less is more”. In this case, Les is no more.  (or simply No Les, no more)
- As the funeral home's accountant says: No Payne, no gain.

• Haha 2

Jean El Laffi, a veteran journalist at FRANCE 24 and beloved head of its Arabic website, died on Tuesday after a battle with cancer. He was 59.

A tireless, ubiquitous and much-loved figure at FRANCE 24, El Laffi accompanied every step of the young news channel since its inception 12 years ago, always addressing colleagues with his broad smile and trademark greeting of “habibi” – the Arabic term for “my dear” or “my beloved”.

And with that allow me to give El Laffi a proper sendoff with an incredible song from an incredible band.
SC

Dave Behrens, a writer who was at Newsday from 1968 to 2004, was a part of the team that in 1974 won a Pulitzer Prize for the groundbreaking series “The Heroin Trail.”  

Behrens died March 24 after a brief illness. He was 84.
SC

Connie Lawn, a radio and broadcast reporter who covered the White House in the waning days of Lyndon B. Johnson’s administration, when women were a rarity there, to the first year of Donald J. Trump’s, died on Monday at her home in Falls Church, Va. She was 73.  The cause was a rare form of Parkinson’s disease.

Before death she was the Lawn, now she will be 6 feet below the lawn.
SC

Veteran journalist William Nack passed away Friday at the age of 77.   Nack joined Sports Illustrated in 1978. He mainly covered horse racing, but worked on a variety of subjects including chess master Bobby Fischer, racing legend A.J. Foyt and and the horse racing cortisone scandal in the 1990s.  In 2001, Nack left Sports Illustrated and freelanced for numerous publications, including ESPN and GQ. Nack served as an advisor to the 2010 Disney movie Secretariat. 
SC

The former publisher of The Fiji Times, Brian O'Flaherty has died.  Mr O'Flaherty passed away very suddenly last Friday night at their home in Dubbo, NSW, Australia.

The Fiji Times held a special place in his heart both from his time spent there from 1992 to 1996 and especially when we all came back in 2011.
SC

On 04/04/2018 at 04:11, Sir Creep said:

Connie Lawn, a radio and broadcast reporter who covered the White House in the waning days of Lyndon B. Johnson’s administration, when women were a rarity there, to the first year of Donald J. Trump’s, died on Monday at her home in Falls Church, Va. She was 73.  The cause was a rare form of Parkinson’s disease.

Before death she was the Lawn, now she will be 6 feet below the lawn.
SC

Damn, missed this one.

Was a regular on Up All Night back in the day, on R5 at stupid o'clock.

Don't know if there's a thread for journalists or not (maybe one of t he mods can move this post if there is )  but anyway one of the most famous CNN reporters Richard Blystone has died at 81 https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/18/homepage2/richard-blystone-obituary-intl/index.html

Edited by Death Impends
Moved to journo thread as requested, and the post by Joey mentioning such has been hidden as it looks out of place with the moving done

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Journalist Angel Gahona was shot an killed as he was broadcasting on Facebook Live using a cellphone, reporting the goings on in Nicaragua.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/angel-gahona-nicaragua-unrest-journalist-facebook-live-shot-1.4630698

D46740E5-D30C-4F5F-927F-3344FDA5E6FD.jpeg

On 1/9/2018 at 12:55, ThePrematureBurial said:

American broadcast journalist Barbara Walters has not been seen in public since July 2016. She is hold captive in her own home, according to Radar online. She shows signs of dementia, broke her hip a couple of months ago & is wheelchair-bound. 

https://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/barbara-walters-held-captive-home-bad-health/

Not exactly sure what the 'Sarah Lawrence Community' is (sounds like a school of higher ed, but I digress...), but on Jan. 18 construction officially began on the Barbara Walters Campus Center.  President Cristle Collins Judd led a special groundbreaking ceremony.  They put shovels to dirt, laying the symbolic foundation for a vision that will finally be realized in Fall 2019.

This begs the question, and maybe a poll question:  Do they break ground on Walter's burial plot prior to finishing the building dedicated to her?
SC