JR976evil

Journalists

Freelance journalist Seb Patrick, who wrote for loads of places, died of a heart attack on Sunday night. I recognised his name from When Saturday Comes, but he also wrote for The GuardianEmpire, Den of Geek and was the social media manager for Red Dwarf.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

That's a sad one. I haven't a clue what he was like outside of the telly, but they're a fixture so it's a shame. Like when Dianne Oxberry went. 

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Seems alot of celebs/TV personalities are keeping their illnesses quiet nowadays. I wonder if that is partly down to us? I imagine Tony Morris would of been on alot of lists if it came out back in 2019 he had kidney cancer.

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Freelance journalist Seb Patrick, who wrote for loads of places, died of a heart attack on Sunday night. I recognised his name from When Saturday Comes, but he also wrote for The GuardianEmpire, Den of Geek and was the social media manager for Red Dwarf.

I was friends with him on Livejournal back in the day, nice guy, huge shock.   

• Like 1

Richard Gwyn, a prolific Canadian journalist who was a long-time columnist with the Toronto Star and authored several books, four of which were on first Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, has died. He was 86. Gwyn had long battled Alzheimers.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/08/15/longtime-star-columnist-richard-gwyn-86-set-the-standard-for-canadian-political-journalism.html

• Like 1

Allan Fotheringham, a prolific Canadian journalist who wrote for the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, National Post, Maclean's and Vancouver Sun, has died. He was 87. Fotheringham also appeared as a panelist on the Canadian news-related game show Front Page Challenge for a decade. The show ran from 1957 to 1995. Fotheringham was on the show from 1984 until it ended. He's the second notable Canadian journalist to die the past few days, with Richard Gwyn having passed over the weekend.

https://theprovince.com/opinion/columnists/goldstein-dr-foth-was-a-force-in-canadian-journalism/wcm/e4c71b4f-d6ff-4493-9182-0a0255dca0d4

• Like 1

Martin Short (not the actor), who investigated and reported for television for more than 40 years, has died. He was 76. Between 1969 and 1984, Short worked Thames TV’s This Week and Granada’s World in Action as a researcher before becoming a reporter.  From there he worked for The London Programme at London Weekend Television and Thames TV’s Thames Report.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/20/martin-short-obituary

• Like 1

This makes Leslie Philips the last man standing from my first DDP team. As I always suspected, really...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Interestingly Sir Peregrine's older brother is still alive, and notable in his own right. In fact, he'll obit for sure:

Author Sir Simon Towneley (wiki) will turn 99 in December.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2018 at 11:52, Spade_Cooley said:

Samuel Brittan, former economics editor at The Observer and then a long-time FT columnist, isn't doing too well from what I understand...

Dead.

• Like 1

Ken Rappoport, a long-time sports writer for The Associated Press and author of more than 100 books, died Tuesday at age 85 after a brief illness.

With the AP, Rappoport was a lead reporter on college basketball, baseball, pro football and hockey. He joined the wire service in 1963 and retired in 2000.

SC

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Vaughn McClure, a reporter for ESPN, has died. He was 48. No cause of death was given.

https://people.com/sports/espn-beat-reporter-vaughn-mcclure-dead-at-48/

Poor guy had to cover the Atlanta Falcons - probably took his own life

• Haha 1

Toodle-oo the noo as Brian Taylor, BBC Scotland's political correspondent since I was a lad, retires.

Huge, rough and breathless on his last report from Holyrood. Keep him in your sights.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Toodle-oo the noo as Brian Taylor, BBC Scotland's political correspondent since I was a lad, retires.

Huge, rough and breathless on his last report from Holyrood. Keep him in your sights.

In other words, pretty much how he's looked since you were a lad?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

In other words, pretty much how he's looked since you were a lad?

No actually. I remember him as slim and curlyish haired.

And beige. It was the 1970s way.