JR976evil

Journalists

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Toodle-oo the noo as Brian Taylor, BBC Scotland's political correspondent since I was a lad, retires.

Huge, rough and breathless on his last report from Holyrood. Keep him in your sights.

A relative of mine.

Edit: Should probably add that his retirement isn’t health related. Big cutbacks at Beeb Scotland. A lot of the big beasts are going as a result. Gordon Brewer is going too.

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

A relative of mine.

He will be sorely missed from our screens - proper independent voice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

He will be sorely missed from our screens - proper independent voice.

Indeed. He’s very good at maintaining neutrality, and thus a credit to the Beeb. Privately he’s a Nat. 

Dunno if you saw my edit above. There will be more but just heard that Isobel Fraser and Reevel Alderson from Reporting Scotland are going too.

60 of them going altogether. The aim is to save £6.2 million.

Michel Auger, a big name in Quebec journalism, has died. He was 76. Auger's speciality was crime reporting, something that didn't endear him to the local underworld. Auger survived a 2000 assassination attempt ordered by notorious former Quebec Hell's Angels' boss Maurice «Mom» Boucher.

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/11/01/le-legendaire-journaliste-michel-auger-est-decede

(French obit.)

Edit: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/journalist-michel-auger-has-died-according-to-quebec-media-reports

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Seymour Topping, a world renown journalist and one of the best known foreign correspondents of his generation, has died. He was 98.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2020/11/08/renowned-world-correspondent-seymour-topping-dead-at-99.html

Sounds more like a pizza correspondent....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bill Jamieson, former executive editor of The Scotsman for 11 years, has died. He also served as economics editor at The Sunday Telegraph for 7 years and contributed to Scotland on Sunday and CityAM.

Obituaries: The ScotsmanThe TimesThe Telegraph

• Like 1

First time I’ve watched University Challenge for a while, Paxo sounds slow as fuck.

Paul Callan, long-time Daily Mirror columnist, familiar face from What The Papers Say back in the day, very "old school" Fleet Street type, dead at 81.

• Like 1

Paul Jain, aka Mr. Fixit, tipster for various newspapers (most recently the Daily Record) and with a sizeable online following of various degenerate gamblers, dead at 55.

• Like 2

Betsy Wade, the first woman who edited at the New York Times (which was back in 1956) is dead at 91

• Like 1

A cheery tweet from Guardian journalist Hannah Parkinson :(

"paying £380 per hour to stay alive"

What could that mean?

32 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

She has fibromyalgia, I know that for sure.

Hmm...I’ve got that. It’s a horrendous bore but it’s completely unthreatening to life (it just makes it a bit tiring, disorientating and painful) and entirely untreatable.

The £380 per hour thing is quite puzzling. Can’t find any clues in the replies to the tweet either.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Food critic for various broadsheets, and regular face on British cooking shows (Masterchef  et al) Charles Campion is dead according to Twitter reports. DDP pick.

Fat and wheezing and not seen in recent series.

Not a surprise, but still a shock he went before Christmas dinner....:)

• Haha 1

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 15:27, Spade_Cooley said:

Food critic for various broadsheets, and regular face on British cooking shows (Masterchef  et al) Charles Campion is dead according to Twitter reports. DDP pick.

Charles Campion QO: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/breaking-charles-campion-dead-masterchef-23222273

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Good to know.

There's also a Metro obit that refers to the date of death, the 23rd.

But.... does anyone have the age?

According to a Google Search for "biography Charles Campion" he was born 17 October 1951 according to UK Who's Who (the link takes you a locked profile).

So 69?

• Like 1

Yes, I got that number from 2 sources now....so 69 it is! 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 08:57, DevonDeathTrip said:

A cheery tweet from Guardian journalist Hannah Parkinson :(

Could the staying alive refer to her business maybe? I know a few people use that turn of phrase. But it sounds most likely to refer to her health? Treatment or tablets not available on the NHS?