JR976evil

Journalists

11 hours ago, Boring Bob said:

How exactly is starring out their surnames of any use here? The first one presumably Martin Bashir, the second one answers on a postcard.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but these are BBC journalists, so seems odd to censor names. 

Anyway, good deadpoolers spotted this three weeks ago https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19262561.martin-bell-hosts-private-talk-blind-veterans/

There was no attempt to censor the names I was just drawing attention to the similarities between them. I trusted in the ability of the other intelligent deadpoolers to be able to do the mental gymnastics to identify who I was talking about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2021 at 21:56, msc said:

Blimey, looking it up, age has caught up with Martin Bell in a hurry. He was looking like he did in the 90s 18 months or so ago.

martin bell 2021.jpg

Just on the TV there at the D-Day remembrance. Doesn't sound or look great. Wonder has he had an unpublicised stroke in the last 18 months or so

• Like 1

While we're discussing the state of the race, here's an update from Gary Burgess from a month ago:

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/voices/2021/05/10/giving-advice-to-the-dying-isnt-as-simple-as-it-seems/

He "uses social media to appear busier than he is". He's in chemo every day of the week. He's ordered his affairs and his will.

He's at the low end of his given life expectancy but tries everything to smash the upper end (i.e. 12 months that take him to November).

His visible activity might be deceptive, on purpose. I assume he'll tell when the chemo stops working, which could be tomorrow....or not.

English local journalist with a bit of BBC recognition, George Makin, dead just a few weeks after announcing his illness:

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2021/news/brilliant-local-democracy-reporter-dies-weeks-after-cancer-diagnosis/

Four days after his first vaccination shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Conspiracy theorists about to go into meltdown. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

English local journalist with a bit of BBC recognition, George Makin, dead just a few weeks after announcing his illness:

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2021/news/brilliant-local-democracy-reporter-dies-weeks-after-cancer-diagnosis/

It actually says that he received his diagnosis four days after receiving his first coronavirus vaccination.  Not that he died four days after it.

Reporter diagnosed with terminal illness days after getting coronavirus jab

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

It actually says that he received his diagnosis four days after receiving his first coronavirus vaccination.  Not that he died four days after it.

Reporter diagnosed with terminal illness days after getting coronavirus jab

Damn, that's more boring.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Damn, that's more boring.

Yeah, somebody's going to be disappointed.  :evil2:

• Haha 2

Long time Herald columnist Fidelma Cook, who some of you were no doubt tracking for the DDP, has died of a heart attack while receiving cancer treatment, aged 71.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, msc said:

Long time Herald columnist Fidelma Cook, who some of you were no doubt tracking for the DDP, has died of a heart attack while receiving cancer treatment, aged 71.

Scottish journalists? Would have been another unique pick for you.

• Haha 1

Former Mirror Group editor and founder of Pride of Britain Awards, Peter Willis has died suddenly.

• Like 1

The great spanish journalist Tico Medina dies at 86.

Indisputable teacher of journalists and unique communicator:

745640.jpg.50f168859e91d7b9140a50c5545031f4.jpg

https://digismak.com/spanish-journalist-tico-medina-dies/

Between his awards, Medina has been graced with two Ondas Awards and a Golden Antenna. He has also been an honorary academic at the Granada Academy of Good Letters.

• Like 2

Deborah James, who I am salvaging from the OFFBI thread given she is a journalist and was pre-illness so let's not jump the shark. Anyhow, her cancer has started spreading again , and last week she had to have emergency surgery after suffering liver failure, and her medication started to fail. She now has cancer in the liver, guts, lungs and bones.

Dawn Foster, British journalist, has died aged 34. Quite prominent on Twitter and often on Sky/BBC paper reviews.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Dawn Foster, British journalist, has died aged 34. Quite prominent on Twitter and often on Sky/BBC paper reviews.

I know she had all kinds of ailments, plus recently had a serious fall, but that's a shocker. I once had a spat with her on Twitter over an expensive jumper (don't ask...) and rarely agreed with her politically, but 34 is no age.

5 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I know she had all kinds of ailments, plus recently had a serious fall, but that's a shocker. I once had a spat with her on Twitter over an expensive jumper (don't ask...) and rarely agreed with her politically, but 34 is no age.

Under our radars it seems, but not yours....

32 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

She was never going to make old bones, but I didn't know much about her recent ailments as I unfollowed her on Twitter a few years ago. She was somebody I would have kept an eye on had her health suddenly taken a turn for the worse (which it obviously, umm, did) but otherwise wouldn't have considered her for a while.

At least she’ll get a good rodgering from Andy Fordham as she ascends on the golden escalator.

• Confused 1

Scottish journalist Ally McLaws had problems with his treatment which had been working well so far. They now have to set him up on a different treatment.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/19450730.ally-mclaws---living-cancer-pandemic-feared-happened-now-last-line-defense/

• Like 1