JR976evil

Journalists

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Charles otherwise Charlie Bird, Irish journalist diagnosed with MND: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/charlie-bird-opens-up-motor-25315481

Like Maire Mhac, bit of a punt on an Irish national, but journalist so probably get some coverage here....maybe...possibly...

So he wont be unique. *tears up shortlist*

:lol:

(Kidding, kidding, just diagnosed so I'd have kept him to the side for now...)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Veteran music journalist Malcolm Dome, the man who coined the term "thrash metal", dead at 66.

I think that makes all of the founders of Total Rock Radio dead?

David Lacey, former football correspondent of the Guardian, dead aged 83.

• Like 1

Riccardo Ehrman, the Italian journalist whose questions to East German government spokesman Günter Schabowski led to the opening of the BErlin Wall, has died aged 92.

• Like 3

ITV reporter Gary Burgess now got his 4th COVID jab, which seems a little excessive to me:

And yeah, seems he can't walk anymore.

Just now, gcreptile said:

ITV reporter Gary Burgess now got his 4th COVID jab, which seems a little excessive to me:

And yeah, seems he can't walk anymore.

Looks rough but still capable of making 2022 IMO.

The Joker of 2022 has died: Journalist and presenter Gary Burgess.

QO waiting to come.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2022-01-02/journalist-gary-burgess-dies-aged-46

In a final message, written for release after his death, Gary wrote:

"I've had the best life. I've had the luckiest life. I met my soul mate and the love of my life who went on to become my husband. I got to work with some of the most amazing people in newsrooms and studios doing the job I absolutely adore. And I've been able to share my own relatively short time on this planet surrounded by friends and loved ones who have enriched my life in ways they may never truly understand.

My greatest sadness is the prospect of leaving all of that and all of them behind. The thought of doing that to Alan is unfathomable to process, but I also know the very people who've shown me love and support will now wrap up those feelings around him in the coming days. It's time for me to hand over my microphone and keyboard for others to do the talking about me, so let my final words simply be 'thank you'. Every person in my life has, in their own way, helped me live my best life. That'll do."

• Like 3

Thank you for your service!

Seemed like a great person.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Thank you for your service!

Seemed like a great person.

Aye, there's half a dozen Deathracers on double points who'd second that observation

18 hours ago, Book said:

The Joker of 2022 has died: Journalist and presenter Gary Burgess.

What exactly does that mean

24 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

What exactly does that mean

If you missed all the times his name was mentioned on forum where people were praying he’d see January 1st, that’s on you 

On 17/05/2021 at 21:56, msc said:

Blimey, looking it up, age has caught up with Martin Bell in a hurry. He was looking like he did in the 90s 18 months or so ago.

martin bell 2021.jpg

Martin Bell was on GBNews last night. Looked and sounded okay. Still carrying a little bit of weight, which is quite healthy for someone in their 80s, and generally doesn't indicate they're nearing the end.

Anyways, he reflected a little on his own mortality. He's currently writing a book defending the continued existence of the British monarchy (his main argument being that a democracy is stronger with a non-political figurehead at the helm). He stated the reason he's doing it was that he fears the relatively niche republican movement in the UK will get a boost after QEII dies, and he wants to contribute to the debate, although he acknowledged that it will likely happen "after his time". Read into that what you will. I still think he could go on for another 5 years or so.

• Like 1

Andrew Jennings, investigative journalist who worked to expose the corruption at the IOC and FIFA, has died aged 78. Contributed pieces to BBC Radio 4, World in Action and Panorama. 

• Like 3

Terry Teachout (wiki), the drama critic for The Wall Street Journal, has died aged 65: https://www.wsj.com/articles/terry-teachout-wall-street-journal-drama-critic-dies-at-age-65-11642115600 (paywalled beyond first paragraph)

Don't subscribe to the Journal so I didn't read his reviews, but I've read some of his writing elsewhere, and heard him on various podcasts and other formats over the years, and he always seemed genuinely personable and well-informed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Deborah James was rushed into intensive care last week and "nearly died." Definitely looking like a 2022 point-winner.

Reptile was absolutely convinced early days of the Cmme that James case was "6 months behind Vicky Phelan". Didn't pick her in the end though she was one of the last decisions on the deadline day, and likely to be the biggest regret if she does go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Reptile was absolutely convinced early days of the Cmme that James case was "6 months behind Vicky Phelan". Didn't pick her in the end though she was one of the last decisions on the deadline day, and likely to be the biggest regret if she does go. 

Heh, I can't even remember saying that. And yet, I have them both on my team this year. Phelan might be a late January to mid-February death, so James would be an August death.

She was on my 2022 draft very early on, but then I took her off because she's very open about all the ups and downs, and she was feeling better for a while. But then Greg Gilbert died, and I thought time is running out for our long-time bowel cancer trio (Gilbert, James and Alagiah).

• Like 1

Another of those deadpooling duos, somewhat linked in our minds due to similarities in their health issues/when they became deadpool picks, who will end up dying in close proximity. Like Valerie Harper and Clive James, or Richard Overton and Shivakumara Swami.

• Like 2