JR976evil

Journalists

On 10/01/2022 at 09:23, Thatcher said:

Andrew Jennings, investigative journalist who worked to expose the corruption at the IOC and FIFA, has died aged 78. Contributed pieces to BBC Radio 4, World in Action and Panorama. 

Times Obit for Andrew Jennings. Died of an aortic Aneurysm.

4 hours ago, mollyafox said:

Former Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley dead at 73.

I knew him long before this site, he was a staple name in the fashion world ! I wonder what is the reason of his death… anyway a sad loss I always admired him, RIP

She did well to last so long, but I think she got cut open and sewed shut so often now, that her body is unable to recover.

• Like 1

One of Londonderry's best-known writers and broadcasters Anita Robinson has died aged 76.

Anita Robinson, who was a regular columnist with the Derry News when it launched in 2001, passed away in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast on Tuesday after a short illness. She was a regular contributor to BBC Northern Ireland, BBC Radio Foyle and wrote regularly for the Irish News.

SC

Billy Reed, the legendary Kentucky sportswriter who was both controversial and widely admired, who covered Adolph Rupp, more than 50 Kentucky Derbys and went on jogs with Muhammad Ali, has died. He was 78 and spent more than 60 years of his life covering sports.

He wasn’t revered by all, though, and he was never one to shy from controversy. Just two weeks ago, Reed posted of former Kentucky basketball coach Joe B. Hall, on the day of the coach’s death, that although Hall should be fondly remembered, he was “not as good as Denny Crum or Bobby Knight.”
SC

• Like 1

John Honderich, a former publisher and editor of the Toronto Star, has died. He was 75. His father, Beland Honderich, was also a former Toronto Star publisher and former chairman. John Honderich had been with the newspaper for over half a century.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/02/05/former-toronto-star-publisher-and-editor-john-honderich-dead-at-75.html

Wayne Bowman celebrated 28 years in journalism last September.

On September 12, the New Editor (Features) of the Trinidad Express newspaper took to his Instagram page to celebrate that accomplishment and spoke about his professional challenges and achievements during that period.  Bowman ended his post with the line: “I hope to continue to be of service to the cultural fraternity and people in general for as long as God will allow.”

Bowman, 53, passed away late Monday evening while being rushed via ambulance to the Arima Hospital after complaining about having difficulties breathing.

SC

2 hours ago, Undead In Ohio said:

Even if you don't care for his libertarian leaning politics, you should check out Bachelor Home Companion which is one of the funniest books I have ever read.

Crikey. I didn't even know he was ill (surprised that passed me by). Read loads of his work when I was at university. I didn't always agree with him but he was always worth reading. RIP.

Roy Collins, erstwhile chief sports writer for both the Sunday People & Today (the newspaper) died last month.

He was also a ghostwriter, most notably of George Best's autobiography, but also of John McEnroe's newspaper column.

He was 73 and had suffered from leukaemia.

• Like 1

Jet setting journo Dave Banks (yeah, I went who? as well), former assistant editor of The Sun and editor of The Mirror with stints in the USA and Australia, reportedly dead: 

1990s LBC and Talk Radio host.

I'm guessing he'll obit. When did journos stop reporting the news and start becoming it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Jet setting journo Dave Banks (yeah, I went who? as well), former assistant editor of The Sun and editor of The Mirror with stints in the USA and Australia, reportedly dead: 

1990s LBC and Talk Radio host.

I'm guessing he'll obit. When did journos stop reporting the news and start becoming it?

The David Banks I know of, of that age, is a bit younger and never worked for Kelvin MacKenzie, thankfully (or "excellent" I should say). 

• Haha 1

Led the scab subbing desk during the Wapping strikes iirc, won't be missed.

46 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel to leave BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60479609

One has to ask oneself why so many effective Fourth Estate challengers to the Establishment are off. Is the BBC becoming an arm of the Conservative party?

Interesting that you see it that way. Many Conservatives think that the BBC is ridiculously left leaning. Many lefties think its too cuddled up to the government etc.

The answer is it's neither. There is bias in all of their political programming to some degree. Some of it fits one person's narrative, some of it fits others.

When the BBC send their foreign correspondent to a press conference in Ukraine and despite a threat of an invasion (which has now materialised), all he wants to ask the PM at said conference are questions about a fucking cake, I ask questions.

When Maitlis, who gives the Government a hard time and has (very partisan) opening "monologues" (in reality rants) at the start of her programme and then all of a sudden leaves, you ask questions.

The BBC is a huge beast that covers all manners of programming, including tackling some very partisan areas. It's never going to please everyone, and indeed in this day and age, it's becoming ever more likely it will please nobody. The argument that we should abolish the licence fee/privatise it is becoming far more legitimate as time passes, and whilst it had fringe support even 10 years ago, the majority now back it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting that you see it that way. Many Conservatives think that the BBC is ridiculously left leaning. Many lefties think its too cuddled up to the government etc.

The answer is it's neither. There is bias in all of their political programming to some degree. Some of it fits one person's narrative, some of it fits others.

With no real axe to grind myself either way, I would say that back in the day both Westminster parties really had a right of reply, regardless of who was in power.

So a government minister would come on then an opposition member would have a right of reply. And they would all get a hard time. Since the Coalition, there has been a tendency (apart from the Marr show and maybe Newsnight and both hardly mass public friendly timing) simply to have Government reps come on for a grilling. Now, that's my job, not a journalist, because I'm allowed simply to attack whoever is in power. :lol:

Yeah, there is going to be imbalance. I simply ask why the clearout? It'll be that dame off Politics Live next, she's getting a bit to uppity with the Tories who come on her show. :P

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

With no real axe to grind myself either way, I would say that back in the day both Westminster parties really had a right of reply, regardless of who was in power.

So a government minister would come on then an opposition member would have a right of reply. And they would all get a hard time. Since the Coalition, there has been a tendency (apart from the Marr show and maybe Newsnight and both hardly mass public friendly timing) simply to have Government reps come on for a grilling. Now, that's my job, not a journalist, because I'm allowed simply to attack whoever is in power. :lol:

Yeah, there is going to be imbalance. I simply ask why the clearout? It'll be that dame off Politics Live next, she's getting a bit to uppity with the Tories who come on her show. :P

I was led to believe that there are another serious of cuts coming to the BBC(??) so I'm not at all surprised that some of the more marmite big guns are either being pushed or offered an altered role with a reduced sum that they've turned down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I was led to believe that there are another serious of cuts coming to the BBC(??) so I'm not at all surprised that some of the more marmite big guns are either being pushed or offered an altered role with a reduced sum that they've turned down.

Could save some money by axing that dreadful little Newscast.

Meaningless bubble drivel - a journos masturbatory dream down the pub brought to the masses. I've been in the Press Bar in Glasgow and heard more cogent discussion on the issues of the day. :lol:

• Like 1