JR976evil

Journalists

Sierra Jenkins, a reporter with the Virginia-Pilot newspaper and a former CNN news assistant, has died. She was 25. Jenkins was among several individuals shot early Saturday morning outside a Virginia restaurant. She may have been an innocent bystander.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/19/us/sierra-jenkins-virginian-pilot-reporter-killed-shooting/index.html

• Sad 1

Eddie Mair is to "retire" aged 56 from his job at LBC. Often thought to be a celebrity lurker in these parts there has been in the past some speculation about his health. Health is not mention in his statement but croaking is!

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Eddie Mair is to "retire" aged 56 from his job at LBC. Often thought to be a celebrity lurker in these parts there has been in the past some speculation about his health. Health is not mention in his statement but croaking is!

Shame, there's few journos around these days willing to do this sort of stuff.

• Like 2

Peter Goddard, one of Canada's best known music journalists, has died. He was 78. Goddard was the Toronto Star's full-time pop music critic from 1972 to 1988. He has authored over 20 books.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2022/03/24/peter-goddard-the-dean-of-toronto-writers-is-remembered-for-his-brilliant-music-criticism.html

Cycling journalist Richard Moore dead at 49. Wrote for the Telegraph and Guardian, podcast host and wrote the critically acclaimed Robert Millar/Philippa York biography.

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Cycling journalist Richard Moore dead at 49. Wrote for the Telegraph and Guardian, podcast host and wrote the critically acclaimed Robert Millar/Philippa York biography.

Oh my.   I'm a paid up premium member of the Cycling Podcast and was listening to an episode hosted by Moore this morning.   Genuinely shocked by this

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I hope it’s not another example of the Scottish + cyclist = depression equation. I enjoyed his book Etape.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I hope it’s not another example of the Scottish + cyclist = depression equation. I enjoyed his book Etape.

His Book on the 100m final at the Seoul Olympics "The Dirtiest Race in History" a great read

Skip Latt, who was a longtime sports writer for The Associated Press before retiring, has died in Nashville, Tennessee. He was 73.

SC

• Like 1

Charlie Catchpole, who had career encompassing most of the tabloids from the '70s until his retirement in 2015, has died aged 76.

• Like 1

J. Michael “Mike” Rouse, a former Associated Press reporter in North Carolina who helped usher the news cooperative into the early computer age though vote tabulation and story transmission, has died. He was 82. 

He died Thursday night at a hospice in Wilmington, having been in failing health for several years. 

Rouse started in 1959 as a reporter for the Goldsboro News-Argus but left to join the AP in Charlotte in 1961, according to his retirement announcement published in 2005.

SC

So Deborah James was discharged from hospital after a month on the 14th. However, three days ago she gave a short video message to the Lorraine show to mark the start of Bowel Cancer Awareness Day/Month/Week.... and she was outside an intensive care unit while doing it. Her longevity is honestly stunning at this point but we have to be talking days rather than weeks?

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So Deborah James was discharged from hospital after a month on the 14th. However, three days ago she gave a short video message to the Lorraine show to mark the start of Bowel Cancer Awareness Day/Month/Week.... and she was outside an intensive care unit while doing it. Her longevity is honestly stunning at this point but we have to be talking days rather than weeks?

I have a similar hunch. My current Cup opponent msc has picked Deborah James and also likes to remind me that I once said that Deborah James is 6 months behind Vicky Phelan.

But I do think that their deaths now will be quite close to each other. James has been getting more and more critical. That said, if Phelan has been able to survive "like this" in/out of hospital/hospice for two, three months now, James might be able to do so, too.

Neither will survive the year, definitely.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 16:26, gcreptile said:

Deborah James's cancer, is back, back, back again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9512565/BBC-podcast-presenter-Deborah-James-39-reveals-cancer-back.html

Her treatment is getting more experimental. Her timeline seems like about 6 months behind Vicky Phelan.

Here it is.

I should have followed that advice. Still annoyed with myself tbh, I concur with the above views. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, msc said:

Here it is.

I should have followed that advice. Still annoyed with myself tbh, I concur with the above views. 

I almost NEVER follow the hoi poloi when someone who is ill is bandwagoned to dying (like that South Korean footballer e.g.).  But I caved in on Phelan for the Cup this round and boy what a mistake.  She was a poor choice.  At least 6 months of life if not more than a year still.  
‘Fool me once, shame on you

Fool me twice, won’t get fooled again’

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I have a similar hunch. My current Cup opponent msc has picked Deborah James and also likes to remind me that I once said that Deborah James is 6 months behind Vicky Phelan.

But I do think that their deaths now will be quite close to each other. James has been getting more and more critical. That said, if Phelan has been able to survive "like this" in/out of hospital/hospice for two, three months now, James might be able to do so, too.

Neither will survive the year, definitely.

Long may both of these FFBIs live

• Like 1

An editor described as a “colossus” of journalism has died suddenly aged 61.

Tributes have been paid to Jim Flanagan, who ran Belfast’s Sunday Life and the Ballymena Guardian.

Jim, pictured, also spent time as deputy editor of the Belfast Telegraph and managing editor of the Community Telegraph during a journalism career that spanned more than 40 years.

SC

Joe Albright, a legendary New Jersey journalist believed to be the longest-serving State House correspondent in the country, has died. He was 93. (He is, however, not the journalist Joe Albright who was formerly married to U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright.) 

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/video/legendary-nj-reporter-joe-albright-dies-at-93/

• Like 2

Seems like the end is near for Deborah James. She moved to hospice at home care, her body can't go on for much longer...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=569638568066986&id=100050625423302

Also reported by The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/18512083/sun-deborah-james-instagram-goodbye/amp/

• Like 1