JR976evil

Journalists

Tbh, the last few weeks I thought she would end up dying before Phelan as the latter seems at least a bit stable for the time being whereas James just seems to be going through way too much

Reading that makes me feel a bit guilty for choosing her as my Joker

I know we joke about bedblockers around here but Deborah James still being alive truly is a miracle, she's seemingly had every possible complication of bowel cancer thrown at her in the past six months. Would be stunned if she's alive for Eurovision tbh, but she's proven me wrong before.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I know we joke about bedblockers around here but Deborah James still being alive truly is a miracle, she's seemingly had every possible complication of bowel cancer thrown at her in the past six months. Would be stunned if she's alive for Eurovision tbh, but she's proven me wrong before.

Reminds me of Kate Granger. Clearly made of hardy stuff, got lucky with some newer treatments responding for a bit, but in the end, terminal cancer always wins. 

tbh my first thought was "her poor kids". The youngest is only about ten. 

23 minutes ago, msc said:

but in the end, terminal cancer always wins.

Wilko Johnson says hi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

Wilko Johnson says hi

He was misdiagnosed, doesn't count.

Re Deborah James - you get the impression we'll be well informed throughout. Highly questionable whether she's a stunning performer in the semi-final of the DL Cup, but the homecare may just get her over the line: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61388961

It’s a bit late at night to work this out to the day but I think if Deborah James dies in 4 or 5 days she will be exactly (to the day) the same age as Rachael Bland when she died.

EDIT: I've worked it out now and think the day where their life spans would both be 40 years 227 days is 16th May.

Barbara Gloudon, outstanding Jamaican journalist, talk show host and playwright, has died. Mrs Gloudon died in hospital on Wednesday night. Her death was confirmed by her family.

In the early 1980s she entered the field of broadcasting as host of Radio Jamaica's talkshow, Hotline. There she attracted a huge following with her folksy delivery and wit, coupled with the empathy she exuded in her interaction with listeners.

She also presented the weekly Anglican radio show, Think on These Things, on Radio Jamaica for many years.

Outside of journalism, she was an accomplished playwright, and eventually became the chief writer and producer for the Annual Pantomime.

SC

• Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 18:00, Book said:

Seems like the end is near for Deborah James. She moved to hospice at home care, her body can't go on for much longer...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=569638568066986&id=100050625423302

Also reported by The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/18512083/sun-deborah-james-instagram-goodbye/amp/

Made a Dame

Guessing she was intially to be announced in the birthday honours next month

9 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Made a Dame

Guessing she was intially to be announced in the birthday honours next month

I’m surprised at that.  

46 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Made a Dame

Guessing she was initially to be announced in the birthday honours next month

She's incredibly brave and has done a huge amount of good, but the lengths this government will go to to buy positive PR is genuinely sickening. This is what happens when you elect a populist government who govern solely based on what plays well in their media.

I doubt she was ever getting a damehood until a few days ago when she announced she was on the way out. The money for charity obviously made a difference but I don't remember Jane Tomlinson getting this kind of treatment. The Captain Tom effect perhaps. Or perhaps 'Northern Ireland's on fire, the EU hate us, the Met have issued another 50 Covid fines, what can we do to change the story?! Quick, give the dying cancer woman a damehood! Genius!'

Let me just make clear, I'm not having a go at Deborah at all, just a government exploiting a dying woman for their own motives.

• Like 6

It's the captain Tom effect I think.The media and fundraising made it inevitable and it had to be done imminently owing to her health.Kate and William praised her also so had the royal seal of approval.

She is already making the headlines and will continue to do so until a few days after she dies so it doesn't really take up any extra column space just gives the headline in advance.If it wasn't for the Damehood the top story in most papers and most morning news would have been her hitting the 4 million mark.

I am sure the government want it as a distraction but this won't do it.She would have been all over the papers again today.

She hasn't hit the 4 million mark but it will happen this morning I'm sure

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Made a Dame

Oh pah-LEEEEEZ. 

One of Syracuse’s most talented, colorful, and honored journalists has died. Walt Shepperd passed away Wednesday at age 81 from complications of a stroke. He’s perhaps best known for his more than 35 years as a columnist, feature writer, and senior editor at the Syracuse New Times. The alternative weekly folded in 2019 in its 50th year of publication.

SC

Dean Fosdick, the journalist with The Associated Press who filed the news alert informing the world of the Exxon Valdez grounding and who directed AP’s coverage of what was then the nation’s worst oil spill, died April 27 in Florida. He was 80. 

His longtime career with the news service included 15 years as the bureau chief in Alaska.

SC

3 hours ago, Sean said:

It's the captain Tom effect I think.The media and fundraising made it inevitable and it had to be done imminently owing to her health.Kate and William praised her also so had the royal seal of approval.

Is it an exaggeration to say she has singlehandedly redefined the genre of 'dying cancer mum'? Mixed in with a Diana vibe.

I mean noone was offering Jade goody a damehood.

In fairness, Deborah James has yet to single-handedly cause an international incident by racially abusing a third-tier Bollywood actress. There's still time though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Let me just make clear, I'm not having a go at Deborah at all, just a government exploiting a dying woman for their own motives.

I was thinking of Alan Bates tbh, but looking it up, the memory cheats. He was given a knighthood when it was known he was dying, but he did make it to the ceremony and died not long afterwards. 

The popular Glasgow Tory MP Tam Galbraith* was announced for a knighthood in the New Years Honours for 1981/2, but I'm not sure he was even aware of it, as he was gravely ill at the time, and died on the 2nd January. 

Deborah James will likely be close to Tam than Alan. 

Anyhow, if you can judge someone on their actions when the reaper is in the room, then James's continual fundraising for cancer treatment that will only help other people now speaks highly. She'll be thought of more highly than the Prime Minister trying to curry favour off her last breaths ever will. 

*Genuinely not taking the piss, he was seen as a good local MP and held his seat as the Tories lost out everywhere else. Since his death there's hasn't been another Glasgow Tory MP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Anyhow, if you can judge someone on their actions when the reaper is in the room, then James's continual fundraising for cancer treatment that will only help other people now speaks highly.

It also gives a further opportunity for people to say all the things they would say about her when she was dead whilst she is still alive and listening which must be a positive experience in her final days..

Sometimes in life good and bad things get mixed in together - I like to look for the good.

• Like 2

I'm 99% sure somewhere on the forum we worked out the shortest distance between being awarded a major honour and dying, and it might have been the same day? I want to say it was a knighthood for a businessman but I may be miles off.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'm 99% sure somewhere on the forum we worked out the shortest distance between being awarded a major honour and dying, and it might have been the same day? I want to say it was a knighthood for a businessman but I may be miles off.

Either way, there's some tabloid hack just itching to headline the death story "Gong too Soon"