maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

5 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There are many threads the death of a Emmy award-winning TV director and brother of Johnny Carson could go in, but comedians and writers is not it, especially when neither brother was any relation to Frank.

My turn for the grumpy @Ulitzer95 post today.

It’s the way you tell em 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I was really shocked when I saw this on BBC News front page.

Because I've never heard of him.

He also compered "America's Funniest Home Videos" which paved the way for "You've Been Framed", which taints the memory somewhat.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

:lol:

tbf he's better known over here now than he was a decade ago due to How I Met Your Mother (which was a surprisingly good sitcom, but his is a voice only role), and the US Masked Singer getting shown en masse over here last year when the UK version turned out so popular (FAO LFN, no, I can only get Michael Owen this year, my ear for voices is clearly shite). But that's by comparison, not massively well known. I vaguely recall Full House being one of the Sky offerings, though we never watched it. Obviously a far bigger name in America but an "Oh yeah the name vaguely rings a bell" one for me thanks to HIMYM above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Same

Pedophilia/trafficking allegations about Bob Saget starting to appear all over Facebook.

I'm not going to share on here as I don't want to get the forum in any hot water, but the claims are pretty bad. Still, innocent until proven otherwise I suppose.

So I see Larry Storch turned 99 last week. :party:
He's the oldest American comedian I know of now. The top 5 oldest to my knowledge are:

Larry Storch b. Jan 1923
Woody Woodbury b. Feb 1924
Dick Van Dyke b. Dec 1925
Shecky Greene b. Apr 1926
Mel Brooks b. Jun 1926

Anybody know of any names I've missed?

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 14:17, Thatcher said:

Louie Anderson, American comedian and game show host, receiving treatment for cancer. 

This makes it sound like he won’t make the DL Cup starting gun.  

“Pauly Shore offered an update to fans about the declining health of comedy legend Louie Anderson, who is battling cancer in Las Vegas.  Shore, 53, tweeted Thursday afternoon, revealing he just left the hospital in Las Vegas, where Anderson was surrounded by his family.  Shore ‘said his good byes’”.

SC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

This makes it sound like he won’t make the DL Cup starting gun.  

“Pauly Shore offered an update to fans about the declining health of comedy legend Louie Anderson, who is battling cancer in Las Vegas.  Shore, 53, tweeted Thursday afternoon, revealing he just left the hospital in Las Vegas, where Anderson was surrounded by his family.  Shore ‘said his good byes’”.

SC

Pauly Shore is a lot of things. Reliable source is not one of them.

That being said, I tend to agree he won't make it through the new year

EDIT: Seems I was on wrong. Credit to SC/Pauly Shore 

Edited by MortalCaso

Writer and actor Robert Breck Denny Jr., a member of comedy group The Groundlings who made appearances in Curb Your Enthusiasm, Ratched, The Shrink Next Door, and recently Heels, has passed away according to Deadline. He died on Monday in Santa Barbara, California after suffering a "rare spontaneous splenic artery rupture." 34-years-old, Denny was a graduate from New York University and previously a member of the Sunday Company at The Groundlings Theatre in Los Angeles.

SC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Writer and actor Robert Breck Denny Jr., a member of comedy group The Groundlings who made appearances in Curb Your Enthusiasm, Ratched, The Shrink Next Door, and recently Heels, has passed away according to Deadline. He died on Monday in Santa Barbara, California after suffering a "rare spontaneous splenic artery rupture." 34-years-old, Denny was a graduate from New York University and previously a member of the Sunday Company at The Groundlings Theatre in Los Angeles.

SC

:clivedunn:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drol said:

:clivedunn:

Ugh :grave:

Putting together a DL Cup team meant not mentioning this one til now.  A few teams (4?) listed this guy.

Comedian Mannerson Ochieng, popularly known as Akuku Danger, has been readmitted to hospital with breathing complications, days after he was discharged after a month-long stay.

SC

On 09/01/2022 at 19:30, Thatcher said:

Bob Saget, comedian and actor, dead aged 65. Starred in Full HouseFuller House and provided the voice of Ted in How I Met Your Mother.

Local police note no foul play or drugs involved, although TMZ reporting cause unclear.

Obituaries: The SunDaily MailThe IndependentThe GuardianDaily MirrorBBC

Cause of death revealed: brain bleed after hitting his head.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Paul Byrne, comedy director who was often part of the Edinburgh Fringe, has died aged 45 after a short illness.

• Like 2

Irish comedian Ed Byrne has paid tribute to his younger brother Paul, who has passed away from Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 44. Paul, who also worked in the comedy industry, was diagnosed with the uncommon form of cancer in 2013.

His agents, Individual Artist Management, described the Irishman as "an exceptional comedy director".

Taking to Twitter on Saturday, Ed Byrne paid tribute to his "pain-in-the-arse little brother".

Paul Byrne worked as live director on dozens of stage shows, including award-winning shows by Andrew Maxwell, Roisin Conaty and Al Pitcher.

He also worked on a variety of television programmes such Dara Ó Briain's Go 8-Bit, on which he served as executive producer, and Chris Moyles' Comedy Empire, providing additional material for the BBC3 show.

SC

• Facepalm 8

^^ Literally the post above yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2