Comedians & Comedy Writers

9 minutes ago, TQR said:

*asks self why I replied*

Because you just can help yourself. 

1 minute ago, Windsor said:

Because you just can (?) help yourself. 

Meh. 

Forum’s dead now anyways.

As mentioned in another topic, Rhod Gilbert being treated for cancer and will be "disappearing for a while". He also apparently had a mini stroke during lockdown.

• Sad 2

According to this Facebook post from her husband, Ruth Buzzi has had a series of strokes

09A9C2FB-5BC5-4D7A-B9AD-D962EFBF9BBB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, ajlposh said:

According to this Facebook post from her husband, Ruth Buzzi has had a series of strokes

09A9C2FB-5BC5-4D7A-B9AD-D962EFBF9BBB.jpeg

This tweet is also from today, not getting a good feeling from this. Very similar to the wording in the Facebook message. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Bristolian comedian, mayoral candidate and one time appearer on Robin of Sherwood, Stoney Garnett, being reported dead: 

• Like 1

Kevin Rooney, an Emmy-winning comedian and writer, has died at age 71. Some notable names he's worked with in his life include Jay Leno and Dennis Miller. 

• Like 3

On 14/05/2022 at 01:38, markb4 said:

Comedienne/actress, Carol Burnett, was recently spotted dining with her husband. The Daily Mail describes her appearance as "frail", but I feel she looks like how an 89 year-old should look:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10801415/Frail-Carol-Burnett-dines-husband-Brian-Miller-Mothers-Day-Montecito.html

Carol Burnett can now be watched in the final episodes of Netflix series Better Call Saul. Looks okay, I thought, good for a couple of years at least. But the black/white camera and make up might hide her real look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Carol Burnett can now be watched in the final episodes of Netflix series Better Call Saul. Looks okay, I thought, good for a couple of years at least. But the black/white camera and make up might hide her real look.

It is a AMC show/series, not Netflix. In the states the current season (which is the last) won't be on Netflix until a year from the last episode airing. 

5 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

It is a AMC show/series, not Netflix. In the states the current season (which is the last) won't be on Netflix until a year from the last episode airing. 

Okay, when I watch it, there's always a black screen at the beginning, saying "Netflix original show" or something like that.

Teddy Ray, a rising comedian known most recently for his contributions to MTV comedy clip show “Messyness,” has died at the age of 32, Comedy Central confirmed via Twitter late Friday.

SC

• Like 1

So, even the permissive Edinburgh Festival have seen fit to cancel Jerry Sadowitz' second of two scheduled shows. His shows are so far into equal opportunities offending (i.e., nobody is safe) that he makes Frankie Boyle sound tame. Dunno where else to post this. But in the wake of the Rushdie stabbing, this is probably a bad time for a festival to draw attention to the nature of Sadowitz' comedy. I've seen him a few times, too busy laughing at him to be offended.

Jerry-Sadowitz-1-1280x800.jpg

35 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, even the permissive Edinburgh Festival have seen fit to cancel Jerry Sadowitz' second of two scheduled shows. His shows are so far into equal opportunities offending (i.e., nobody is safe) that he makes Frankie Boyle sound tame. Dunno where else to post this. But in the wake of the Rushdie stabbing, this is probably a bad time for a festival to draw attention to the nature of Sadowitz' comedy. I've seen him a few times, too busy laughing at him to be offended.

Jerry-Sadowitz-1-1280x800.jpg

It’s fucking ridiculous. People know what they’re getting when they go to see Sadowitz. Nobody walked out of his first show. There were only 1 or 2 complaints which, frankly, indicates Sadowitz is mellowing in his old age.

This from the venue director makes no sense :

Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.

"While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

"This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show"

His definition of censorship must be different from everyone else's.

I don’t think choosing not to have a particular comedian appear at your venue is censorship myself. They can put on who they want and nobody has an inalienable right to appear there.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I don’t think choosing not to have a particular comedian appear at your venue is censorship myself. They can put on who they want and nobody has an inalienable right to appear there.

Except that they DID choose to have him appear there then cancelled the second show which people had purchased tickets for after a couple of whiney woke pussies complained. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

Except that they DID choose to have him appear there then cancelled the second show which people had purchased tickets for after a couple of whiney woke pussies complained. 

We don’t actually know the specific details of the complaint. You don’t know what you’re defending yet, though I understand “whiney woke pussies” is a very easy road to go down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

This from the venue director makes no sense :

His definition of censorship must be different from everyone else's.

So, for all DLers who've gotten interested, here's the current Sadowitz' tour dates: 

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/jerry-sadowitz

4 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

We don’t actually know the specific details of the complaint. You don’t know what you’re defending yet, though I understand “whiney woke pussies” is a very easy road to go down.

I’ve been to see him three times so I can hazard a guess. From what I’ve heard so far there was nothing I wouldn’t have expected to hear or see from him. The difference with Sadowitz is he almost never appears on television and doesn’t have any recorded shows available (save for a live show on vhs from 1987 that has never been reissued, and a vinyl recording of the same that was withdrawn and is very rare), and doesn’t allow any sites to upload his material, and so many people go in not knowing what to expect. It’s not uncommon to observe people walking out of his shows in my experience 

It takes seconds to google sadowitz, if you don't have a fair idea of what you bought a ticket for you're an idiot. 

I'm no fan of GB news, it's owner, its ethos or anything else, but even they have this. So basically we do know what the complaints are about.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

It takes seconds to google sadowitz, if you don't have a fair idea of what you bought a ticket for you're an idiot. 

I'm no fan of GB news, it's owner, its ethos or anything else, but even they have this. So basically we do know what the complaints are about.

Now that did make me LOL :lol:

"Nobody wants to see woke comedy, it's like women's football, it's written about in like the Guardian but it's rubbish."

• Haha 2

I must admit I enjoyed the women’s euros but am not looking forward to the return of the mens game with bitchiness, bad hairdos, diving, dissent and overpaid players. Try  convincing me that ManU players are professional and give value but they are a bunch of non funny comedians.You can bet the majority of football supporters look at the pictures in the Sun, Mirror or Mail and voted for Brexit, football not generally supported by the intelligentsia.

Discuss, but not with me IDGAF.

Edited by Charlotte's Controller

This has all made me want to go and see Jerry Sadowitz.  Where's he on next?  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

This has all made me want to go and see Jerry Sadowitz.  Where's he on next?  :D

I posted this a few posts above - seen him a few times, always howled with laughter, but he is genuinely sick as fuck, then he gets even sicker

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/jerry-sadowitz

• Thanks 1