maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

Beloved Cape Town-based comedian Paul Snodgross has died. Snodgrass, also known as Snoodie, reportedly passed away on Thursday, Feb. 23. He was 44. At this time, Snodgrass' cause of death has not been disclosed, though unconfirmed reports suggest he died of a heart attack.

SC

• Like 1

Wally Fawkes has died aged 98. He could appear in many categories - satirist, cartoonist, clarinettist (with Humphrey Littleton), comedy writer. However he is best known for drawing Flook for the Daily Mail for 35 years & for the Mirror Group for 1 year! Flook was originally aimed at children & then became a political satire & finally the Daily Mail editor David English had had enough of it due to the satirical jibes that appeared to be aimed at Margaret Thatcher even though she was reported to  enjoy the cartoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Wally Fawkes has died aged 98. He could appear in many categories - satirist, cartoonist, clarinettist (with Humphrey Littleton), comedy writer. However he is best known for drawing Flook for the Daily Mail for 35 years & for the Mirror Group for 1 year! Flook was originally aimed at children & then became a political satire & finally the Daily Mail editor David English had had enough of it due to the satirical jibes that appeared to be aimed at Margaret Thatcher even though she was reported to  enjoy the cartoon.

I remember this from my childhood.  It looked like it was for children but was incomprehensible to me.

• Like 2

Paul O'Grady dead at 67.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Shocked 6

Oh damn. Well that‘s going to dominate the news here today once everyone wakes up…

Very weird for it to start breaking at 3am unless he died abroad. 

• Like 1

Genuinely a jaw drop on Paul O’Grady although it was known he had a duff heart. 

The story about the Met Police raid and police officers all wearing gloves because of the HIV crisis and Paul as Lily saying ‘ thank fuck we needed help with the washing up’ is the stuff of legends. 

Really sad at this. An icon and a hero to many.

My favourite story circulating Twitter right now is the time where, during the HIV crisis, police wearing rubber gloves stormed into and raided the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, while Lily was on stage, who immediately quipped “Ooh, looks like we’ve got some help with the washing up”.

• Haha 1

He had posted the other day that he was heartbroken over the death of his pet pig, I wonder if it realy did break his heart? 

Took way before his time I feel - he really did seem alright.

Very unexpected news on Paul O'Grady... Rip

4 hours ago, Philheybrookbay1 said:

Genuinely a jaw drop on Paul O’Grady although it was known he had a duff heart. 

The story about the Met Police raid and police officers all wearing gloves because of the HIV crisis and Paul as Lily saying ‘ thank fuck we needed help with the washing up’ is the stuff of legends. 

A bit surprised he didn't have his own thread given his previous heart attacks.

• Like 2

All the wailing and gnashing of teeth - the man was far from perfect. Has everyone forgotten he was a friend of Cilla Black?

• Haha 4

Well, this is a shock, nonetheless.

Paul O'Grady's turn as Lily Savage was just superb, and I was never a fan of drag queens, but Blankety Blank was a low moment for the character, and once he stopped doing Lily I never really followed his career. Out of drag, he became just another bitchy queen, imo.

Nevertheless, RIP.

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, this is a shock, nonetheless.

Paul O'Grady's turn as Lily Savage was just superb, and I was never a fan of drag queens, but Blankety Blank was a low moment for the character, and once he stopped doing Lily I never really followed his career. Out of drag, he became just another bitchy queen, imo.

Nevertheless, RIP.

I don't know I think his other daytime friendly stuff was bland and comforting but it did go to show what a magnificent creation Lily Savage was as it seemed so far from his natural personality

• Like 2

Given his heart condition I always thought he could go suddenly at any time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

come on, fuckers still warm. 

Too soon? 

Mark Russell, political musical comedian, dead at 90. DDP pick.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tracy said:

Mostly knew him for his Simpsons parody (seems to combine him with Tom Lehrer as well):

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tracy said:

There's a name I haven't heard in years; saw a TV special he did in the 80's, round the time of the Iran-Contra/Ollie North scandal!