maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

19 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Bob Saget, comedian and actor, dead aged 65. Starred in Full HouseFuller House and provided the voice of Ted in How I Met Your Mother.

Obituaries: The Sun

Damn, that's awful news.  He had been really struggling with Norm Macdonald's recent death as could be heard on many recent podcast appearances.  Wonder what the cause will end up being.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Bob Saget, comedian and actor, dead aged 65. Starred in Full HouseFuller House and provided the voice of Ted in How I Met Your Mother.

Local police note no foul play or drugs involved, although TMZ reporting cause unclear.

Obituaries: The SunDaily Mail

Wow. Shock death.

Something to note. Was a very close friend with Norm Macdonald who passed away last year. Circumstances of death unclear, either way sad to seem them both die so close together relatively young. RIP

• Like 2

How is it that, of the principal players from the movie Dirty Work, it's Artie Lange who lives on?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

How is it that, of the principal players from the movie Dirty Work, it's Artie Lange who lives on?

Good point. Gotta wonder how long he has left with all his issues + closest friends dropping left and right. Wouldn't have pegged him as last man standing.

This death is extremely sad and shocking. Crazy start to the year

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Local police note no foul play or drugs involved, although TMZ reporting cause unclear.

Obituaries: The SunDaily MailThe Independent

This is definitely 2022's "David Bowie moment".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Steady on. Let's not go crazy now.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Good point. Gotta wonder how long he has left with all his issues + closest friends dropping left and right. Wouldn't have pegged him as last man standing.

This death is extremely sad and shocking. Crazy start to the year

Having listened to Saget and Lange discuss Norm's death (including that Bob had a script for Dirty Work 2 ready to go) I can say that Artie sounds horrible and also seems nearly devoid of emotion.  Was actually pretty staggered how unphased he sounded about Norm.

Bob Saget, famous American comedian who was in the sitcom Full HOuse has died- a sudden death in his 60's no cause given as yet-  sounds like a heart attack to me! https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/09/bob-saget-dead-dies-hotel-comedian-full-house/

7 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

People generally know who David Bowie is outside of his home country. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

People generally know who David Bowie is outside of his home country. 

All I'm saying is that there are some similarities.

- Part of '80s culture in the US (though Saget was late '80s)

- Died in their 60s

- Both unexpected deaths to many (Bowie kept his cancer battle hidden, Saget was performing yesterday)

- Both died in early January

• Like 3

Matt Stone and Trey Parker clearly weren't fans...

41 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Oh for fuck sake.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

so much alcohol in his system that he’s practically preserved

Lots of folks need a refund.

Or they could prop his corpse up there on stage, be just ‘bout as funny as he was alive. 
SC

92D3C56A-ACF2-4045-B21E-763146F57E2B.jpeg

• Haha 2

Big-time shocker death here.  If you look at him in that social media post from last night, he looks very healthy and nowhere near 65 years of age.  Like a previous poster said, I'll guess heart attack as well.  I actually attended the live taping of the Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget in 2008.  Of the people on that dais, we've lost Greg Giraldo, Cloris Leachman, Norm MacDonald, and now Saget.  

I have a couple of Hollywood tv/movie contacts, one of whom had worked with Saget, and apparently he was an extremely kind and gracious man with anyone he came in contact with.  People loved the guy, and his reputaton among his fellow comics was sterling.  

• Like 4

Very shocking to me since I had never realized he was even that old. Even though he wasn’t in that many shows the ones he was a part of were definitely mainstays of American culture for a time.

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

There are many threads the death of a Emmy award-winning TV director and brother of Johnny Carson could go in, but comedians and writers is not it, especially when neither brother was any relation to Frank.

My turn for the grumpy @Ulitzer95 post today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There are many threads the death of a Emmy award-winning TV director and brother of Johnny Carson could go in, but comedians and writers is not it, especially when neither brother was any relation to Frank.

My turn for the grumpy @Ulitzer95 post today.

The real kicker is it was already posted in another thread today.

Been a day filled with repeated death announcements!

Well Johnny Carson was a comedian, so I'm sure his brother was pretty funny too, not to mention as director of the Tonight Show and other shows he must have done some kind of comedy writing, or have had input into the jokes, the director doesn't just press a record button. So I am sure that comedy writing was one of the strings on his bow, even if other strings were more substantial. What a tribute to such a great talent to be included on multiple threads.

17 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Well Johnny Carson was a comedian, so I'm sure his brother was pretty funny too, not to mention as director of the Tonight Show and other shows he must have done some kind of comedy writing, or have had input into the jokes, the director doesn't just press a record button. So I am sure that comedy writing was one of the strings on his bow, even if other strings were more substantial. What a tribute to such a great talent to be included on multiple threads.

When you’re wrong, take it on the chin. Don’t try and bs your way out of it.

11 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Obituaries: The SunDaily MailThe IndependentThe GuardianDaily MirrorBBC

I was really shocked when I saw this on BBC News front page.

Because I've never heard of him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I was really shocked when I saw this on BBC News front page.

Because I've never heard of him.

More known in America. I don’t think Full House was shown here in the UK and How  I met Your Mother was not as big in the UK as it was in America.