maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

Guest Guest

a true legend of comedy has died today.very sad news

BBC reporting Paul Shane of Hi-de-Hi, You Rang, M'Lord?, Oh Doctor Beeching and various others, has died at 72

BBC reporting Paul Shane of Hi-de-Hi, You Rang, M'Lord?, Oh Doctor Beeching and various others, has died at 72

Bye-de-bye

Edited by Paul Bearer
BBC link added

Bye-de-bye

A tap in pun for the DDP...

Guest Guest

A very sad loss to the world of comedy. I grew up watching him in Hi De Hi ,You Rang Me Lord and Only Fools and Horses among others.

A very sad loss to the world of comedy. I grew up watching him in Hi De Hi ,You Rang Me Lord and Only Fools and Horses among others.

Only Fools & Horses?

Hotel manager in Crewe (Crewe Arms?) some years back looked and sounded very much like Paul Shane.... Very entertaining for the guests.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Only Fools & Horses?

Hotel manager in Crewe (Crewe Arms?) some years back looked and sounded very much like Paul Shane.... Very entertaining for the guests.

Sorry.Got him mixed up with David Jason I think. He was good in those 2 other things though

Bye-de-bye

The Mirror has nicked that one...

Bye-de-bye

The Mirror has nicked that one...

Sick bastards! :)

• Like 2

RIP Paul Shane sleep well big guy

With time having seen off most of the casts of the 70's stalwarts Dad's Army & Are You Being Served? Maybe we should begin to compare and contrast the 80's contributions particularly following the death of Paul Shane which programme will provide us with most fertile ground Hi-De-Hi or Allo, Allo?

With time having seen off most of the casts of the 70's stalwarts Dad's Army & Are You Being Served? Maybe we should begin to compare and contrast the 80's contributions particularly following the death of Paul Shane which programme will provide us with most fertile ground Hi-De-Hi or Allo, Allo?

Most of 'allo 'allo are dead already- Hill, Haig, Silvera, Hilary Minster(?) - played von Klinkerhoffen and the large German chappie (Richard Marner I think his name was), not to mention Jean-louis Mansi and the chap from the Carry On movies who name inexpicably fails me right now.

Most of allo allo are dead already-Hill, Haig, Silvera, von Klinkerhoffen and the large German chappie, not to menrion Jean-louis mansi and the chap from the Carry On movies who name inexpicably fails me right now.

Kenneth Connor...

Kenneth Connor...

Of course it is, thanks. My brain got stuck on Bernard Cribbins, f**k knows why and wouldn't move on from anyone called Bernard - Cribbins, Bresslaw etc.

Most of 'allo 'allo are dead already- Hill, Haig, Silvera, Hilary Minster(?) - played von Klinkerhoffen and the large German chappie (Richard Marner I think his name was), not to mention Jean-louis Mansi and the chap from the Carry On movies who name inexpicably fails me right now.

Likewise a good number of the Hi-Di-Hi cast are no longer with us Cadell, Dwyer, Bowness, Shane, Holland and Kenneth Connor (again)

But people like Sam Kelly, Gordon Kaye, Jeffrey Holland and Ruth Madoc if they survive can be the Frank Thornton and Clive Dunns of the future.

Likewise a good number of the Hi-Di-Hi cast are no longer with us Cadell, Dwyer, Bowness, Shane, Holland and Kenneth Connor (again)

Bit careless of Kenneth Connor to die twice.

Isn't the bloke who played Mr Maplin dead?

Bit careless of Kenneth Connor to die twice.

Isn't the bloke who played Mr Maplin dead?

No-one actually played him (I think) he was only ever seen in the form of a statue.

Maplin was one of those unseen characters in sitcoms such as Sheridan in 'Keeping up Appearances', Mrs Mainwearing in 'Dad's Army' and Mrs H's husband Willie in 'Shelley'...

Convinced he appeared once right at the end. My memory is pretty poor - I couldn't even remember Kenneth Connor's name.

Convinced he appeared once right at the end. My memory is pretty poor - I couldn't even remember Kenneth Connor's name.

Ah, he could have done actually, now you've mentioned it. Just as Maplins was closing...

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia, Maplin was indeed unseen, except as a statue.

Ah, he could have done actually, now you've mentioned it. Just as Maplins was closing...

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia, Maplin was indeed unseen, except as a statue.

Wikipedia also says he was intended to be played by Bob Monkouse who was unavailable for filming, so the bloke who was supposed to play Joe Maplin is indeed dead.

I think the one to watch from the Hi-di-Hi cast would be Barry Howard (b.1937) who played the professional ballroom dancer he was apparently often seen as a dame in Pantomine alongside John Inman.

Allo, Allo it is definitely Sam Kelly.

• Like 1