maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

Not watched, but  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7r2kb

has Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse doing an Out of Town/A Round with Alliss thing, and both mention heart issues.......

Mortimer had a triple heart bypass after it was found his heart was 95% blocked, all is well now apparently. Whitehouse had stents fitted before and helped his 'stent buddy' Mortimer become less of a recluse after his surgery by taking him fishing, during which time fishing seemed such an exciting pastime they decided to televise it. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone been watching 8 out 10 cats down countdown in the past couple of years and had Sean Lock on the radar? 

He was missing for so many shows last series and the one before that yet had not been replaced. He also cancelled lots of live shows. Much later he appeared in the final episode last series with a shaved head which is not his usual style. 

This series he is back with hair back to normal but has a completely different voice and is quite thin!! He is private enough that he has not addressed publicly if he has been battling anything but the best I’ve read online which fits is perhaps he had been battling cancer of the larynx.

One to watch..........

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Has anyone been watching 8 out 10 cats down countdown in the past couple of years and had Sean Lock on the radar? 

He was missing for so many shows last series and the one before that yet had not been replaced. He also cancelled lots of live shows. Much later he appeared in the final episode last series with a shaved head which is not his usual style. 

This series he is back with hair back to normal but has a completely different voice and is quite thin!! He is private enough that he has not addressed publicly if he has been battling anything but the best I’ve read online which fits is perhaps he had been battling cancer of the larynx.

One to watch..........

I saw him live in February, during which he explained the brief shaved head look (he said it was his anti-selfie look - nobody would pester him for a selfie while he's looking like a Russian war criminal). He also had the same sort of voice as the episode, the explanation for which is simply that he was at the end of an intensive 130-date tour. 

• Like 1

Ian 'Sludge' Lees, comedian who appeared on Tiswas, The ComediansSummertime Special and Live From Her Majesty'shas died aged 74.

Vaguely remember him.

Turns out he was a comic.

• Like 1

Mike Kelly, a regular on The Comedians and latterly an actor in numerous TV shows, died back in March according to his profile here.

Can't seem to find anything on how old he was.

Not sure if Mark Lamarr is a presenter, comedian or material for any thread dealing with washed up celebs

Either way; he's currently doing the kind of Boy George tribute act that doesn't need songs or a backing band: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/15/comedian-mark-lamarr-charged-with-assault-and-false-imprisonment?CMP=share_btn_fb

Johnny Vegas had to be helped off stage at Liverpool Everyman theatre. He was tired and emotional ;-)

• Like 1

Nice to see Eric and Ernie's show with Ronnie Carroll tonight.

With Ernie casually introducing "the IRA sketch"....different times...

Maureen Murphy, an Australian-born comedian who made a number of appearances on the Tonight Show in the 1980s, has died.  Fellow comedian Elayne Boosler posted the news on her Facebook.

10 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Maureen Murphy, an Australian-born comedian who made a number of appearances on the Tonight Show in the 1980s, has died.  Fellow comedian Elayne Boosler posted the news on her Facebook.

Maureen who?

21 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Maureen who?

I don’t know, but a memorial event is being co-ordinated by Diane who, Alison who, Robin who Keith who, and Elayne who.

• Haha 2

Admittedly, when I posted the Maureen Murphy bio, I'd not heard of her.  (Upon looking at her credits, I vaguely remember her New Hollywood Squares appearance.)  However, to have been booked on the Tonight Show multiple times -- particularly during the Johnny Carson era -- was of great importance to an entertainer's career in the U.S.  Carson giving you 'the nod' meant you'd made it. Murphy may have been lesser known than other comedic contemporaries, but appears to have had a respectable career doing stand-up in the 80s.  Conversely, Elayne Boosler is a name I recognize, having been a stand-up comedian by trade and having appeared on numerous American shows as herself, with a cross-section of credits as an actress.  Alison Arngrim played 'Nellie Oleson' for eight years on 'Little House on the Prairie'.  The others I don't recognize.  

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I don’t know, but a memorial event is being co-ordinated by Diane who, Alison who, Robin who Keith who, and Elayne who.

That's one of your better ones!:lol:

• Like 2

Dave Wilson at 87.

Was on Opportunity Knocks with his pal Amos, as "Dave and Amos" lol.

Sadly it didn't knock, and lead to a career in Swindon.

https://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/17396838.tributes-paid-after-death-of-dave-from-dave-and-amos/

1 minute ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

:o RIP to a very funny man.  I had no idea he was ill. Radio 4 won't be the same without him.

My first thought too - like Victoria Wood and David Bowie, some folk decide to keep news of any ill health private.

The 'upday' news ticker on my mobile phone has just told me that Jeremy Hardy has died aged 75.  I think the intern must have been the only one who made it into work today due to the snow and didn't check they'd got the numbers the right way round.  I trust the Beeb's headline that he was 57 rather more.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Squonk said:
40 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

:o RIP to a very funny man.  I had no idea he was ill. Radio 4 won't be the same without him.

My first thought too - like Victoria Wood and David Bowie, some folk decide to keep news of any ill health private.

BBC was very quick with the obit, so it was obviously expected.