The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Former Yorkshire captain and one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year for 1961, Vic Wilson, has died at 87.

• Like 1

Well Gunja, two average sides produced a fairly interesting (to me, at least) series. Terrific knock from debutant Tim Southee at the death, too.

See you in the (our) summer, old bean.

You're dead right 'Arry, it was a pretty good series from both sides considering it was number five versus number seven. Not quite the same as Australia against India or South Africa but entertaining nonetheless. Funny series too, considering they've played half of it here, then five weeks off and back into over there!

Couldn't agree more about Southee's knock, good stuff indeed. Ryan Sidebottom's made himeself a few fans while here, a real competitor.

See you in the winter, although that's rugby o'clock, and no one will care.

A bit of a damp squib of a series this time, Gunjy. Still enjoyable for a diehard Test fan like me, of course. All this 20/20 nonsense has got me genuinely worried about the future of the glorious game, to be honest. It'll be 10/10 before you know it.

Hopefully a top notch summer against the Saffers will rekindle the public's interest. It can't be worse than that rubbish masquerading as football going on in Switzerland and Austria right now.

Lord, some sunshine if you please.

Well Gunja, two average sides produced a fairly interesting (to me, at least) series. Terrific knock from debutant Tim Southee at the death, too.

See you in the (our) summer, old bean.

You're dead right 'Arry, it was a pretty good series from both sides considering it was number five versus number seven. Not quite the same as Australia against India or South Africa but entertaining nonetheless. Funny series too, considering they've played half of it here, then five weeks off and back into over there!

Couldn't agree more about Southee's knock, good stuff indeed. Ryan Sidebottom's made himeself a few fans while here, a real competitor.

See you in the winter, although that's rugby o'clock, and no one will care.

A bit of a damp squib of a series this time, Gunjy. Still enjoyable for a diehard Test fan like me, of course. All this 20/20 nonsense has got me genuinely worried about the future of the glorious game, to be honest. It'll be 10/10 before you know it.

Hopefully a top notch summer against the Saffers will rekindle the public's interest. It can't be worse than that rubbish masquerading as football going on in Switzerland and Austria right now.

Lord, some sunshine if you please.

Again 'Arry, you're dead right. Most of it was pretty hard to watch, although great to see the Kiwis snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (well somewhere in greater victory, out towards the country) yet again. I hope the one dayers are more of a spectacle regardless of the result, it'd be nice just to see some decent cricket played by more than one player per innings.

the idea that that shot should be banned is so ridiculous it makes me want to spit.

It is the job of batsmen to score runs and the job of bowlers to get them out.

the fact is he hit two sixes off two loose balls having seen the opportunity to do so.

I am not a fan of Pietersenn (too inconsistent for me, I like a boring batsmen) but the idea of outlawing run scoring is insulting and killjoyish.

Anyone up for a punt on who's going to be the first to try it and make an utter twuttle of themselves?

I'd say Brendan McCullum.

Shane Warne the musical. But why didn't they use the Barmy Army lyrics? Lots of good songs to choose from.

Like this affectionate example sung to the tune of 'My Old Man's A Dustman'

Shane Warne is an Aussie

He wears a baggy cap

He wears a Nike earing

He is an Aussie twat

He's got his little flipper

He's got his box of tricks

But when he bowls at Hickey

He hits him for a six

Some interesting stuff on Bill Frindalls' blog at the Beeb

Q. I notice that you often refer to the method or location of death of cricketers. Is this an interest? What is the most unusual method of death for a first-class cricketer?

sirianblog

Bearders' Answer: When I compiled my Index of Test Cricketers for 'The Wisden Book of Test Cricket' series, I included their places of birth and, where appropriate, death. In researching my 'England Test Cricketers' I found that fate had dealt a surprising number with bizarre and unusual ends. My favourites include: crushed by a crane loading sugar aboard the SS Muriel (Charlie Absolom); in a mud hut after falling off a cart and being interred in a coffin made from whisky cases (Monty Bowden); as he was putting on his boots to go to work (Johnny Tyldesley); from pneumonia contracted while watching Yorkshire play at Sheffield (George Ulyett); from septicaemia after falling on a dance floor ('Dodger' Whysall).

Q. I notice that you often refer to the method or location of death of cricketers. Is this an interest? What is the most unusual method of death for a first-class cricketer?

sirianblog

Bearders' Answer: When I compiled my Index of Test Cricketers for 'The Wisden Book of Test Cricket' series, I included their places of birth and, where appropriate, death. In researching my 'England Test Cricketers' I found that fate had dealt a surprising number with bizarre and unusual ends. My favourites include: crushed by a crane loading sugar aboard the SS Muriel (Charlie Absolom); in a mud hut after falling off a cart and being interred in a coffin made from whisky cases (Monty Bowden); as he was putting on his boots to go to work (Johnny Tyldesley); from pneumonia contracted while watching Yorkshire play at Sheffield (George Ulyett); from septicaemia after falling on a dance floor ('Dodger' Whysall).

You might be interested in David Frith's book 'By Their Own Hand - a Study of Cricket's Suicides'. Some tragic tales to cheer you through the Winter evenings.

Ta for the recommendation 12trees, but that's a tome I know well!

sirianblog

You might be interested in David Frith's book 'By Their Own Hand - a Study of Cricket's Suicides'. Some tragic tales to cheer you through the Winter evenings.

Ta for the recommendation 12trees, but that's a tome I know well!

sirianblog

In a spooky bit of coincidence, I'm afraid it's Bearders c Legionnaire b Reaper 69.

"There are 100,000 stars in our galaxy and 1,000 million galaxies. I am sure cricket must be being played elsewhere" - Sir Patrick Moore

After Pakistan and now India have dropped off the international radar, the ICC would probably settle for a slow turner on Alpha Centauri. Not quite the same atmosphere though, I wouldn't think.

Elsewhere, England's women have become world champions, while England's men have finally won a match, thanks to some nursery school maths.

I think it's time that the DLF had its own cricket graveyard, rather than relegate players of the noble game to the 'extra-curricular' outfield. After all, there seems to be a thread for players of American Rounders. I shall start by noting the demise of Ivan Madray. Perhaps not the most auspicious player to grace the game, but a West Indian Test cricketer nonetheless.

This thread ought to do it. Updates on the no longer mysteriously dead Bob Woolmer could go here. I don't really think it matters which forum it's in does it?

Worth a shout though.

Holland beat England at cricket today.

For you non-colonials/Yanks, this is like Venezuela beating USA at baseball or San Marino triumphing over Brazil in football. For you Aussies, Kiwis, Gunjas, Honezes, Tomb Raiders and Vaaagies, chuckle away.

For you non-colonials/Yanks, this is like Venezuela beating USA at baseball or San Marino triumphing over Brazil in football. For you Aussies, Kiwis, Gunjas, Honezes, Tomb Raiders and Vaaagies, chuckle away.

I wasn't even aware that we had a cricket-team.

Cricket???? WTF is cricket?

I wasn't even aware that we had a cricket-team.

Cricket???? WTF is cricket?

Where's that Hein when you need him eh?

Oh yeah, nearly forgot; chuckle, chuckle, guffaw et cetera.

Having beaten Pakistan quite easily yesterday, England managed to qualify for the next stage, wherein we shall prove that we can be beaten by teams far better than the Netherlands.

Actually, Venezuela's pretty decent at baseball, Harold. Curiously enough, so is Holland, although that's because most of the players come from a former Dutch colony in the Caribbean. Suriname or Curacao or one of them. A better analogy might be it would be like England beating the US in baseball.

Meanwhile, Oz got crushed like insects by the Windies, who have sleep-walked their way around the UK the past month or so, losing to all comers. I'd love it if Sri Lanka could finish the job tonight and send Punter and co out.

• Like 1

Actually, Venezuela's pretty decent at baseball, Harold. Curiously enough, so is Holland, although that's because most of the players come from a former Dutch colony in the Caribbean. Suriname or Curacao or one of them. A better analogy might be it would be like England beating the US in baseball.

Meanwhile, Oz got crushed like insects by the Windies, who have sleep-walked their way around the UK the past month or so, losing to all comers. I'd love it if Sri Lanka could finish the job tonight and send Punter and co out.

Aussies Out!

Aussies Out!

From the BBC website "and the Black Caps have got the Saffers by the jaffas."

Cricket umpire dies after ball hits him on head

"Alcwyn Jenkins, 72, was officiating at a league match between Swansea and Llangennech when the accident happened in front of a large crowd at the St Helen's ground in Swansea.

He collapsed after a fielder from the away side threw the ball in towards the stumps. Mr Jenkins, a widower, was struck on the side of the head and fell to the ground."

• Like 1