In the summer of 2005:

The Lions lost a series

Roger Federer and Venus Williams won Wimbledon

Brazil won the Confederations Cup

Pigeon McGrath predicted a 5-0 Aussie whitewash

Australia’s most experienced pace bowler picked up an injury

England won the Ashes

Just sayin’ is all…..

Just saying what exactly? I'd hate for there to be any ambiguity around your post once the results are known. Do spell it out CR -- are you predicting a 2-1 win to the Poms?

Glenn McGrath has handed down his biennial Ashes pick

A pigeon called Sweep

In the summer of 2005:

The Lions lost a series

Roger Federer and Venus Williams won Wimbledon

Brazil won the Confederations Cup

Pigeon McGrath predicted a 5-0 Aussie whitewash

Australia’s most experienced pace bowler picked up an injury

England won the Ashes

Just sayin’ is all…..

Just saying what exactly? I'd hate for there to be any ambiguity around your post once the results are known. Do spell it out CR -- are you predicting a 2-1 win to the Poms?

Maybe you are suggesting that 4 men with rucksacks will cause havoc to the London transport network. Then 4 others will try to copy them but fail miserably sueing Blue Peter for a poor design and bad preparation. Not forgetting the finale, a special forces manoeuvre resulting in a dead Brazilian and vilification in the press.

Or a devastating hurricane wipes out ca. 1,000 poor people in the US to the delight dismay of its president, who jumps straight into action on the rescue mission.

Or that Lance Armstrong will win le Tour before retiring (again)

Maybe you are suggesting that 4 men with rucksacks will cause havoc to the London transport network. Then 4 others will try to copy them but fail miserably sueing Blue Peter for a poor design and bad preparation. Not forgetting the finale, a special forces manoeuvre resulting in a dead Brazilian and vilification in the press.

Or a devastating hurricane wipes out ca. 1,000 poor people in the US to the delight dismay of its president, who jumps straight into action on the rescue mission.

I wonder on what odds you'd get on all that happening. Where's Armitage when you need him?

I wonder on what odds you'd get on all that happening. Where's Armitage when you need him?

Pah, that's nothing special. I've seen it all before.

You can keep your World Cup finals, your Olympics and even your East Lothian Conker Championships - the world's greatest sporting event starts today. In the spirit of pessimism/realism, I'll predict 2-1 to the Aussies. The big problem for me is trying to keep up with the cricket while looking as if I'm working trying to get some work done.

5-0 to England.

5-0 to England.

Did you get distracted by something half-way through posting Godot? Surely you meant 5-0 to England's weather.

That's morely likely than any other 5-0 result in this series.

5-0 to England.

Did you get distracted by something half-way through posting Godot? Surely you meant 5-0 to England's weather.

That's morely likely than any other 5-0 result in this series.

Well you have to be a bit optimistic living here Gunjy. The weather hasn't been too bad of late although it looks as if it's going to hit this match. I was imagining the glory of a series whitewash and the even greater glory of predicting it, fantasist as I am, but that was before Ponting and Katich got stuck in to us. Looks like it's time for plan B today: get them all out for 350 before lunch then build up a good total to finish the match in four days. That ought to do it. Ooo look, a pig with feathers has just landed in the garden.

Arise Sir Monty, Sir Jimmy and Sir Colly! Anyone who tells me Twenty20 is more exciting than Test cricket, well I feel sorry for 'em.

So, all square then. On we go. It'll have to be 4-0, Godot. smiley20whistling.gif

And Mr honez, Wales did England proud this week. Iechyd da!

To paraphrase Cloughie, I think it was... I make it rule to never comment on English cricketers, and I'm not going to break it for those timewasting cheats.

To paraphrase Cloughie, I think it was... I make it rule to never comment on English cricketers, and I'm not going to break it for those timewasting cheats.

Whingeing Ponting makes me laugh with his belief-beggaring hypocrisy. Here's a bloke who, for the last 15 years, has mastered the art of 'gamesmanship' so expertly he makes Machiavelli look like Gandhi. It's like Stalin having a pop at Hitler for wiping out a few million Jews.

And he's got a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.

It's down to the wire, with England needing a win to regain the Ashes and the Aussies needing a win to fulfil my series score prediction. The weather's ok, Eng have won the toss and decided to have a bat.

Let's get it on.

When did the Oval become the 'Brit' Oval? That was nearly as big a surprise as the cats 'half packet of maltesers' I found behind the couch while fixing the TV aerial.

When did the Oval become the 'Brit' Oval? That was nearly as big a surprise as the cats 'half packet of maltesers' I found behind the couch while fixing the TV aerial.

Not sure, but at least its not the 'Fosters Oval' any more.

Does it matter a f'uck?

The Footie season has started and nobody gives a toss.

They still had tickets for sale today, no bums on seats because nobody cares.

Worst of all, IF we win ( unlikely) we will have the usual tosspots and dick dribblers who will line the streets of the celebration tour route all pretending that they gave a sh*t, let alone were cricket fans to start with.

Lets be honest here, cricket is about as popular in this country as tiddlywinks.

Its all pretend, a bit like Soccer Saturday legend Jeff Stelling telling us that Cowdenbeath have gone two up at East Fife when we all know that there are only 37 people actually watching the game from the terraces....

Sorry to burst the balloon of our Down Under chums but the vast majority of us would, when asked, say that Fred Flintoff was that Barney Rubble fellas mate.

Its just not Cricket.

Does it matter a f'uck?

Worst of all, IF we win ( unlikely) we will have the usual tosspots and dick dribblers who will line the streets of the celebration tour route all pretending that they gave a sh*t, let alone were cricket fans to start with.

Lets be honest here, cricket is about as popular in this country as tiddlywinks.

Its all pretend, a bit like Soccer Saturday legend Jeff Stelling telling us that Cowdenbeath have gone two up at East Fife when we all know that there are only 37 people actually watching the game from the terraces....

Sorry to burst the balloon of our Down Under chums but the vast majority of us would, when asked, say that Fred Flintoff was that Barney Rubble fellas mate.

Its just not Cricket.

I think that cricket is second only to gold in the 'Dull As F'uck' stakes.

Give me a good old Moto GP any day. Airbags in leathers, who'da thunk it!

Does it matter a f'uck?

You sure?

I was there (sadly near the twats of the 'Barmy Army') and the touts were doing tickets for over three times face value, the only empty seats were the corporates after the traditional 2 hour boozy lunch. Unlike 'The Best League In The World' which can only fill stadia to 2/3 capacity apparently.

Hate to break it to you but football sold its' soul to Mammon and it's getting harder and harder to care about which team of mercenary millionaires lose to which other team of grasping morality-free oil-sheiks playthings.

Anyway, it's going right to the wire now, who's going to get that last burst over the line?

Does it matter a f'uck?

You sure?

I was there (sadly near the twats of the 'Barmy Army') and the touts were doing tickets for over three times face value, the only empty seats were the corporates after the traditional 2 hour boozy lunch. Unlike 'The Best League In The World' which can only fill stadia to 2/3 capacity apparently.

Hate to break it to you but football sold its' soul to Mammon and it's getting harder and harder to care about which team of mercenary millionaires lose to which other team of grasping morality-free oil-sheiks playthings.

Anyway, it's going right to the wire now, who's going to get that last burst over the line?

Well, according to the news there were, it was showing the digital display board outside advertising that tickets were still available.

I agree with you regarding the Football situation,however, the reality is it doesnt matter what billionaire owns what we still care about our teams.

We do tend to forget that there are four divisions of the English league and a whole plethora of amateur ones.

Its a fact that the Engish Championship League is better attended than most other top flight leagues in Europe, moreover, I see this league and the two below as still retaining Football at its most raw and purest, if thats possible.

You only have to ask Mary why he is prepared to travel all over the shop to see his beloved Carlisle.........

I wasnt knocking Cricket, I was knocking the hype surrounding it, the supposed " everybody is on the edge of their seats" bull.

I do hope we win the Ashes, not because I love cricket but because i like the idea of Aussie bashing. :birthday:

Does it matter a f'uck?

You sure?

I ventured down to the Wheatsheaf yesterday afternoon for a pie and a pint. On one TV they were showing England v Australia, on the other a couple of London derbies in the Premier League. I'll give you three guesses which screen attracted the most attention.

Does it matter a f'uck?

You sure?

I ventured down to the Wheatsheaf yesterday afternoon for a pie and a pint. On one TV they were showing England v Australia, on the other a couple of London derbies in the Premier League. I'll give you three guesses which screen attracted the most attention.

The one showing Strictly Come Dancing. Southern Poofs.

I do hope we win the Ashes, not because I love cricket but because i like the idea of Aussie bashing. :party:

I've been timid to reply as of late...

You guys bash me most of the time :birthday: and I'm an Aussie (although I do hold British citizenship). You might have the Ashes and you might have an undeserved sense of accomplishment, but we have nicer beaches.

Score one to Australia.

P.S. I'm an AFL man anyway.

I do hope we win the Ashes, not because I love cricket but because i like the idea of Aussie bashing. :party:

I've been timid to reply as of late...

You guys bash me most of the time :birthday: and I'm an Aussie (although I do hold British citizenship). You might have the Ashes and you might have an undeserved sense of accomplishment, but we have nicer beaches.

Score one to Australia.

P.S. I'm an AFL man anyway.

You had a few nasty bitches too in Prisoner cell block H.

• Like 1