The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Michael Carberry scores a century following cancer treatment

I had him down on my long list to google at some point for further news since 2016.

When I saw he had scored a century and was back playing professional cricket I discounted him until I got near end of article and he asks media to continue  "respecting my privacy in dealing with my illness". 

So maybe not out of the woods yet..........

• Like 2

Carrick keeper Gordon Browne recovering from a brain tumour:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/cricket/cricket-family-so-supportive-during-my-cancer-battle-says-carrick-keeper-gordon-browne-1-8036086

Feeling good right now, but it was high-grade gliobastioma. So it is likely to return and kill him.

Doug Insole was my 11th hit. I put him on my list for no good reason other than for the reason posted by Thatcher above.

Not a dog but unquestionably mad in a clinical sense - former Windies fast-bowler Patrick Patterson, lengthy article on his less than healthy life here: http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/patrick-patterson-an-unquiet-mind-4762590/

Pakistan cricketer Zubair Ahmed was struck on the head with what proved to be a fatal blow during a game in Mardan on August 14.

Ahmed has played four matches for the ListA and T20 team Quetta Bears.

Query: How hard/dense is a cricket ball....they've played baseball for 120 years with only a couple casualties, and pitchers bean batters in the noggin many times a season.  Must be like a friggin billiard ball!  That said, I recall once picking up a lacrosse stick and ball and thinking my GOD if that ball hit you in the head, you'll be dead instantly (see billiard ball reference)
SC

Quite hard and solid iirc.

Not something you want to whack into you at great speeds.

A cricket ball and a baseball have roughly the same circumference with a cricket ball weighing in at about 160g and a baseball around 145g.

I don't know that in imperial but a cricket ball is about 10% heavier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

A cricket ball and a baseball have roughly the same circumference with a cricket ball weighing in at about 160g and a baseball around 145g.

I don't know that in imperial but a cricket ball is about 10% heavier.

Good info.  Yes, it's not the weight so much as the g's are packed into the same area, so it must be more dense, a big bang theory :-)
Like I said I worked with a guy who played lacrosse and I gained a total new respect for those who play it.  I'm serious, that damn thing will break bones if it hit your chest etc.  But you never seem to read about it.  Not enough pads for me to play goalie I can tell you that.

SC

Tom Pritchard, a New Zealand cricketer who played in England for most of his life, has died aged 100. He played for Warwickshire County Cricket Club from 1946-1955, and was the oldest living first class New Zealand cricketer. 

No idea as to motive and not a massacre as no cunto injured so here will do.

10/10 for effort, somecunt outside the Oval today launched a crossbow into the middle of the playing area, landing a mere 10 yards from the pitch.

A big fuckoff steel arrow caused them to, Lol, bolt, and game abandoned.

Have thought for Years terrorists should go lofi , and arrows would cause more FEAR than pricks cutting around with guns/knives etc. We are almost inured to them.

Ralph Dellor, a sports commentator for the BBC, has died aged 69. Besides being a former cricket player, he was also heavily involved in coaching, including the England Women's Team, Oxford University Team and the Norwegian National Team. He presented and commentated on programmes such as Grandstand, Match of the Day and Test Match Special.

Edit: The Times obituary.

Jan Brittin, an English cricketer who played Test Cricket and ODI for the England Women's Team, has died aged 58. She holds the record for most runs in Women's Test Cricket with 1935, and the most catches in Women's Cricket World Cup with 19. She played for England at the Women's World Cup in 1982 (runners up), 1988 (runners up), 1993 (champions) and 1997.

Edit: BBC, The Times, The Telegraph, Guardian obituaries.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22255244/clive-van-ryneveld-former-south-africa-captain-dies-aged-89

Clive van Rynevald at 89.

Sud Africa's oldest captain......

*prick also represented England ffs at Rugby in the 1949 5 Nations. Scored 2 offside tries against Scotland.

Bev Congdon at 79, captain on New Zealand in the mid 70's.

Put England's bowling to the sword a few times around when I started taking an interest in the game (ie international games only and support the other side).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5375087/NZ-cricket-great-Bevan-Congdon-dies.html

Ah jeez. Bev Congdon. One of my early cricket icons. One of NZ's best of the pre-(Richard) Hadlee era.

On 7 November 2017 at 21:11, gcreptile said:

Belatedly just noticed this. I played against this chap many times when he was in his 50s and he was a really nice bloke who retained a great passion for cricket even though his body was a bit knackered by this time. He achieved many fine feats during his earlier years ( I was there watching when he dismissed Boycott) , but still retained a sense of great modesty.

• Like 2