The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 15:12, YoungWillz said:

Hubert Doggart, sports administrator and former England Test cricketer, dead at 92. https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/625554

DDP Pick.

Now, Hubert Doggart gets a name check in this article from The Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/thanksgiving-service-douginsole-pgdhsxqrq

Anyone able to read the whole thing to see if this might be a QO for the DDP?

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Now, Hubert Doggart gets a name check in this article from The Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/thanksgiving-service-douginsole-pgdhsxqrq

Anyone able to read the whole thing to see if this might be a QO for the DDP?

It's not. A poem by Doggart about Insole was read at the service. No mention of Doggart being dead.

• Thanks 1

Cheers, msc, very possible they are preparing one, though. Times big on their cricketers.

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Cheers, msc, very possible they are preparing one, though. Times big on their cricketers.

I know very little about cricket, but the little I do surely tells me anyone who played for England will get a Times obit before too long.

I can't believe IL Bula (i.e. Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau), the First Class cricketer with the longest name is still apparently alive. 96 years old. Probably the most famous Fijian cricketer. Pretty decent player by all accounts.

Might be obit worthy due to the name length.

• Like 3

Bland was always one of my favourite South African cricketers. Truly set new benchmarks for fielding.

It's not OVER yet then.

2 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Happy Birthday Dickie Bird. 85 not out. 

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport and outdoor

• Sad 1

In the category of great sports names, South Africa has an outstanding wicker-keeper batsman named Quinton de Kock.
I stumbled upon this whilst searching other stuff -- so yes, I stumbled onto de Kock.

SC

I hope Sir Creep doesn’t discover the Saffers Fanie de Villiers, or England’s Peter  Willey, or India’s Salman Butt.

Or that three Aussies have been suspended for ball tampering.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, time said:

I hope Sir Creep doesn’t discover the Saffers Fanie de Villiers, or England’s Peter  Willey, or India’s Salman Butt.

Or that three Aussies have been suspended for ball tampering.

The Batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

In the category of great sports names, South Africa has an outstanding wicker-keeper batsman named Quinton de Kock.
I stumbled upon this whilst searching other stuff -- so yes, I stumbled onto de Kock.

SC

When Gent won the Belgian league (and then did surprisingly well in the Champions League), they had a midfielder called Sven Kums.

He's not ill or anything, I'm just letting you know.

That brings to mind an old episode of Fantasy World Cup Football in which Baddiel and Skinner sang to the tune of Nessun Dorma

We hoped so much that Italy

Had learned a lot from Germany

We thought they'd play like Klinsmann, Sammer -

Instead they played like Kuntz.

16 minutes ago, Toast said:

Instead they played like Kuntz.

My (step) grandfather's surname was Kuntz.  He and much of my father's side were 'Pennsylvania Dutch'. 

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

My (step) grandfather's surname was Kuntz.  He and much of my father's side were 'Pennsylvania Dutch'. 

You don't say?

• Like 1

Former Test umpire Don Oslear died a few days ago, aged 89 (second story in link). Umpiring career cut short by controversy over ball-tampering.

8 hours ago, time said:

Former Test umpire Don Oslear died a few days ago, aged 89 (second story in link). Umpiring career cut short by controversy over ball-tampering.

If I lost a job every time I was ball tampering, I'd be unemployable.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2017 at 12:26, gcreptile said:

Carrick keeper Gordon Browne recovering from a brain tumour:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/cricket/cricket-family-so-supportive-during-my-cancer-battle-says-carrick-keeper-gordon-browne-1-8036086

Feeling good right now, but it was high-grade gliobastioma. So it is likely to return and kill him.

It did, and he died, but doesn't appear to troubled any bigger press.

Ajit Wadekar, Indian cricketer, has died aged 77. He was Captain of the Indian Team from 1971-1974, during Tests against the West Indies and England. Probably couldn't deal with the absolute pasting England is giving India in the current Test. 

Edit: BBC, The Telegraph, The Independent obituaries.

• Haha 1

Former Sussex wicket keeper Rupert Webb has died aged 96, played between 1948 & 1960 (i.e before most of us were born). Last week he signed and donated his copies of Wisden to the Sussex CCC museum.

After retiring he took up modelling and acting, and appeared (according to the the report) in Four Weddings & a Funeral as Duckface's father.