The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Former Sussex & England player, and Warwickshire coach, Alan Oakman has died aged 88.

He played twice for England,  most notably taking five catches to assist Jim Laker's nineteen wickets against Australia in 1956.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:49, time said:

Former Sussex & England player, and Warwickshire coach, Alan Oakman has died aged 88.

He played twice for England,  most notably taking five catches to assist Jim Laker's nineteen wickets against Australia in 1956.

Oakman was at a dinner once, with Laker, and was introduced as 'the man who took all those catches off Jim Laker's bowling.' Laker piped up, "not still dining out on that, are you Oaky?"

Meanwhile here's one who got away, for now … brother of the much more famous Brendon.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/former-zealand-cricketer-denies-own-124615850.html

On 17/06/2008 at 09:21, Anubis the Jackal said:

Anyone up for a punt on who's going to be the first to try it and make an utter twuttle of themselves?

I'd say Brendan McCullum.

Nathan McCullum is alive and well, and to prove it threw out the ceremonial first pitch in Auckland Tuatara's baseball game against the Canberra Cavalry on Sunday.

Social media had been in a whirl on Saturday night after a Facebook fan page post surfaced that the former Black Cap had died following complications in hospital.

His outraged brother Brendon, the former New Zealand skipper, vowed to find the person responsible after reading the post in the United Arab Emirates as he prepared to fly home from the T10 League.

SC

Sharmeen Khan, who is widely credited for having women’s cricket in Pakistan officially recognised, has died aged 46.  News outlets in Pakistan reported that she died of pneumonia.  Sharmeen played two Tests – Pakistan’s women’s team has only ever played three – and 26 ODIs between 1997 and 2002, opening the bowling with her right-arm pace and batting in the lower-middle order. Sharmeen, along with her elder sister Shaiza, played in Pakistan women’s first ODI, in Christchurch in 1997.

SC

Former England cricket coach David Lloyd has described a former headteacher who died earlier this month as 'a true gentleman and very accomplished sportsman'.

Terence Neville from Rishton was goalkeeper for Accrington Stanley Football Club in the late 1960s and early 1970s as well as keeping wicket for the town's Lancashire League cricket club.

The former head of Accrington Moorhead High School died aged 83 on Sunday December 9 after suffering from kidney failure.

SC

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, as expected, that's my first faller from the DDP Main team 2019.

Better e-mail @Spade_Cooley.

Wow!

Not her death, you picking her! :o

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Wow!

Not her death, you picking her! :o

Told you, if you can't beat them, then have a go at beating them! :lol:

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Told you, if you can't beat them, then have a go at beating them! :lol:

Hah yeah, but I was still thinking around the Fairlie level. Now very curious to see 12 Lords/8 ladies (etc) on Jan 1st too.

(Admittedly,  I look forward to everyones teams, and the DL 50. It's like Christmas Day for deadpoolers...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, as expected, that's my first faller from the DDP Main team 2019.

Better e-mail @Spade_Cooley.

Your first female sub has now been promoted.

• Like 1

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Your first female sub has now been promoted.

Cheers, sorry to see Ruth go 2 days before it starts, I had hoped she would have at least seen the New Year. Gawd rest her soul.

Sachin Tendulkar has paid a glowing tribute to his former coach Ramakant Achrekar, who has died in Mumbai at the age of 86.

Achrekar was renowned for coaching a host of players who went on to enjoy successful careers, with Tendulkar his most famous pupil.
SC

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Scottish cricket player Con De Lange is dead of brain cancer at 38:

https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/sa-born-scotland-cricketer-passes-away-20190419

He never told how bad it was. Quite a miss for us.

The amount of time he lasted gels with the typical prognosis for glioblastoma - so probably was a glio case. Sod's law!

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Scottish cricket player Con De Lange is dead of brain cancer at 38:

https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/sa-born-scotland-cricketer-passes-away-20190419

He never told how bad it was. Quite a miss for us.

I should’ve realized that him looking in fairly decent shape probably meant he wasn’t getting treatment.

Former West Indies batsman Seymour Nurse died yesterday aged 85.

A former Wisden cricketer of the year, he stills holds the record for the highest score in a final test innings (258 v New Zealand).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, time said:

Former West Indies batsman Seymour Nurse died yesterday aged 85.

A former Wisden cricketer of the year, he stills holds the record for the highest score in a final test innings (258 v New Zealand).

RIP

He sounds like a Carry On character.

• Haha 1

On 18/03/2019 at 13:39, Spade_Cooley said:

Unique hit for Blueberry Crumble when the QO comes in.

I see you spotted very quickly the qualifying obituary for my unique pick in The Times today! Thank you!