The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

22 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Breaking News on Talksport Radio. Cricketer Bob Willis has passed away after a short illness aged 70. 

That is a shock. He'll probably be remembered for the Ashes 8-53 (?) but I remember that Viv Richards had a very low regard for him as a bowler and whenever he came on to bowl to Richards he used to smash him round the park.

If it was a short illness he obviously didn't approach death off his customary run up!

• Like 1

It appears to have been Prostate cancer according to social media. 

It was watching the likes of Willis on TV as a young lad that got me into cricket and over the years I developed a deep passion for the sport. Thanks for the memories!

RIP . 

30 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Shocking news. Must have been sudden as he was a regular on Sky Sports until very recently. With Willis and Graeme Dilley dying pretty young and Geoff Boycott in precarious health, it's noticeable how English cricketers from the legendary 1981 Ashes are struggling compared to the Aussie line up of that era. 

Botham doesn't look too good either.

35 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

That is a shock. He'll probably be remembered for the Ashes 8-53 (?) but I remember that Viv Richards had a very low regard for him as a bowler and whenever he came on to bowl to Richards he used to smash him round the park.

If it was a short illness he obviously didn't approach death off his customary run up!

Talksport now stating it was a "long illness" so his run up now fits in nicely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Talksport now stating it was a "long illness" so his run up now fits in nicely. 

Aye, and he was a fast bowler - so not hanging around into ripe old age fits as well.

Again, been out all day and saw this on the news.

Cricket just ain't my thing, but Gower, Willis and Botham were the triumviurate back in the day. Had the other two before Willis and maybe about another 7 years before you'd think about them.

Boycott lives. Life is deffo not fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Cricket just ain't my thing

You're Scots :rolleyes:. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Boycott lives. Life is deffo not fair. 

Too true.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Exu said:

Botham doesn't look too good either.

I don't think he looks too bad to be honest. 

Worth watching the various documentaries on the Ashes in the 1980s being screened recently by Sky. Of the 1981 players, Botham, Gower, Border, Kim Hughes, Terry Alderman, Geoff Lawson and John Dyson all interviewed. In hindsight, Willis didn't look well. No sign of Boycott, Dennis Lillee or Rod Marsh. Think all of the 1981 Australian touring party are currently still batting. 

Ah  I was a boy when we spent some time living in England.

Yes, we got caught up in the willow, to the extent that we had stumps and bails in the back garden, admittedly before Swingball, which then superseded all thought of cricket, the most dull game ever.

I lost interest when, as a fielder, a cricket ball aimed straight at my napper was snatched out of the air by my teacher. I had spent about an hour being bored, then effectively my life was saved by the teacher I hated most at Junior School.

I do have to say that the likes of Strauss, Cook, Hussain etc etc have never lived up to that era of late 70s/early 80s cricket when even I could say there go some personalities who also happen to be excellent at their game. Flintoff came close, but then he was and remains a total wanker.

I should add though that Flintoff is a superb boxer and should have gone that route. Pugilism of the most noble kind should have been his destiny.

The Aussies at that time were amazing. Chappell, R Marsh, Border, Alderman....surely never thought of but now Willis has gone relatively young.

How is Hadlee these days? Apparently liver cancer is survivable for at least 14 months.

A reminder that, John Edrich still lives, 19 years after he was told he had seven years left, cured of leukaemia by mistletoe.

• Like 1

It's also somewhat surprising that Ray Illingworth, captain on Willis' first Ashes tour in 1970-1 and fellow TV commentator is still alive despite numerous recent health issues. 

• Like 1

John Manners at 105 still keeps going and having played first class cricket in 1936 is surprisingly the only man alive to have played first class cricket before WW2.

Obviously not a big famous name but Denbigh cricket club have announced the sad news that their long time serving umpire David Alun Williams has died.

Roseberry can't be the most common name. Is he former Middlesex-opener (and County Durham born) Mike Roseberry's dad, I wonder?

21 minutes ago, Heef said:

Roseberry can't be the most common name. Is he former Middlesex-opener (and County Durham born) Mike Roseberry's dad, I wonder?

Well spotted your hunch is correct.I have just looked it up. :)

Waqar Hassan (Hasan), the last surviving player of Pakistan's inaugural test side (v India, 1952), has died aged 87.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:45, The Watcher said:

John Manners at 105 still keeps going and having played first class cricket in 1936 is surprisingly the only man alive to have played first class cricket before WW2.

John Manners Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/03/09/lieutenant-commander-john-manners-naval-officer-sank-u-boat/