The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Did he die today? Asking for cup purposes. 

Good question, if only msc was here, he seems to have access to full articles.

I'm looking at The Cat....help me o be wan Cat-obe, you're my only hope....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It says at the foot of the article that he died on 7 March.

(I'm not a subscriber, but am registered which lets me read the occasional item.)

• Like 3

Just now, Toast said:

It says at the foot of the article that he died on 7 March.

(I'm not a subscriber, but am registered which lets me read the occasional item.)

Yes, Toast! Whoop!

*wait, am I getting more goals scored against me because of this?*

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yes, Toast! Whoop!

*wait, am I getting more goals scored against me because of this?*

Naw, you’re safe this time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

So the final player to play first class cricket before WW2 has died aged 105 - he played as long ago as 1936. He was the oldest ever first class cricketer but Eileen Whelan at 108 and a former Women's Test cricketer is still alive.

16 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

So the final player to play first class cricket before WW2 has died aged 105 - he played as long ago as 1936. He was the oldest ever first class cricketer but Eileen Whelan at 108 and a former Women's Test cricketer is still alive.

Amongst Eileen's many and varied achievements was passing her driving test at 105 . She may be slightly older than most of us...but not much chance of her demise in the near future (assuming she washes her hands on a regular basis )

• Like 1

Those who used to tune into BBC2's coverage of the John Player League in the 1970s and 80s will remember Peter Walker, the former Glamorgan all-rounder who played three Tests for England in 1960. He's died at the age of 84. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Those who used to tune into BBC2's coverage of the John Player League in the 1970s and 80s will remember Peter Walker, the former Glamorgan all-rounder who played three Tests for England in 1960. He's died at the age of 84. 

Never forgot his wonderful encounter with John Arlott when a match at Lords was interrupted by rain. Arlott did an impromptu tour of the Long Room talking in impressive detail about people, places, matches from the paintings, prints and other memorabilia. At the conclusion of this Walker thanked Arlott for his “impressive dustbin of knowledge “ - dear John did not look in the least impressed by this sentiment.

If I misremember this I’m certain someone will correct me.

A fine cricketer, commentator and writer.

4 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Former left arm medium bowler for England Brian Bolus, who won the Priestley Cup in 1983, and became a Test selector for England in the 1990's, died at 86 years:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/52580857

Brian Bolus was a test batsman, not a bowler. In his first class career he scored over 25000 runs but only took 24 wickets. He played 7 tests for England as an opening batsman but lost his place to John Edrich & Geoff Boycott. Although he never scored a test 100, he holds a test record as playing the most test matches (7) & test innings (12) without ever scoring less than double figures. He had a sturdy stature like Colin Cowdrey which did not help when well into his 30's he reached the final of a long-forgotten single wicket competition when the particpants did all the bowling & batting but had fielders to assist. Bolus was out for about 1 (one) but his opponent, the dynamic Essex all-rounder Keith Boyce scored 84!!!

• Like 1

John Woodcock who was The Times chief cricket correspondent from 1954 to 1988 will be 94 in August. His father was born in 1857 and his paternal grandfather before the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. 

Richard Hadlee revealed that his cancer is at stage 4. No doubt he’s one to keep a closer eye on now...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Richard Hadlee revealed that his cancer is at stage 4. No doubt he’s one to keep a closer eye on now...

Oh, NOW it's Stage 4.

*Poker Tourney coming up, Poker Tourney coming up....*

• Like 1

Former Gloucestershire captain Tony Brown has died aged 83. Led the county to Gillette Cup victory in 1973, scoring 77*, he also took 1-33 and was man of the match.

• Like 1

Heard on the radio that Everton Weekes has died at 95 years old.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Former West Indian Batsman Sir Everton Weekes dead at 95

A shame - holed out on the boundary trying to reach his century with a six, I expect. Or Geoff Boycott selfishly ran him out while building towards his own ton.

• Haha 1

Reminds me of Balbir Singh. Keep active and healthy into his 90s so survived the original heart problems which would have killed normal folk, but the damage was too much and neither was able to fully recover.

19 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Former West Indian Batsman Sir Everton Weekes dead at 95

Wow.

Former Australian captain Barry Jarman has died aged 84. He later became an international referee.

• Like 2

One that went unnoticed at the time, even by the usually excellent Cricketer magazine: NZ keeper-batsman Graham 'Jock' Edwards, on 6 April. Big Jock played two Tests in England in 1978 but in a wet summer his agricultural approach was ineffective and he was replaced behind the sticks by opening batsman Bruce Edgar for the last Test. 

• Like 1