The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Today is the 60th anniversary of the first tied Test match between West Indies and Australia. Somewhat surprisingly the guy who was out to cause the tie, Ian Meckiff (born 1935), the guy who ran him out, Joe Solomon (born 1930) and the guy who was bowling, Wes Hall (born 1937) are all still alive. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

Ian Chappell is well enough to be commentating with Jim Maxwell on the Australia v India Test. Evidence here https://mobile.twitter.com/abcsport/status/1339433532922318848

Chappell looks a lot like Bruce Forsyth in his later years to me. However, I think he looks and sounds ok for a man of his age and no obvious deterioration following his cancer fight. Presumably if he was still ill he'd be shielding? 

18 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Ian Chappell is well enough to be commentating with Jim Maxwell on the Australia v India Test. Evidence here https://mobile.twitter.com/abcsport/status/1339433532922318848

Chappell looks a lot like Bruce Forsyth in his later years to me. However, I think he looks and sounds ok for a man of his age and no obvious deterioration following his cancer fight. Presumably if he was still ill he'd be shielding? 

If the run rate stays the same as it is for the next couple of days, he is more likely to die of boredom. At least Jim Maxwell has had no more medical problems since his stroke a few years ago. Both sound well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Cases are virtually nill in Australia so not really much of a risk.

On 17/12/2020 at 09:08, Bentrovato said:

If the run rate stays the same as it is for the next couple of days, he is more likely to die of boredom. At least Jim Maxwell has had no more medical problems since his stroke a few years ago. Both sound well. 

He probably perked up while the Aussies (i mean non-indigenous ex-cons) were skittling the Indians (native south Asian indigenous peoples) for 36, the lowest Test innings total since New Zealand (indigenous peoples of Down Under near Aussie with even more annoying accents) set the current record of 26 against England (racist white patriarchal overlords) 65 years ago.

• Haha 1

I thought the commentators were going to have shock induced heart attacks after that display. Defibrillators on standby for Maxwell and Chappell and the rest. Ruined my early morning cricket for the weekend. So inconsiderate. 

19 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Vic Marks has given up his Guardian column and I presume TMS.

Presumably this is for 'editorial' reasons  (i.e. The Grauniad can't afford him) rather than health reasons, unless I've missed something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

Presumably this is for 'editorial' reasons  (i.e. The Grauniad can't afford him) rather than health reasons, unless I've missed something.

Just saw he was trending on Twitter and followed the link. Not wading through the whole article but don't want another CMJ situation

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just saw he was trending on Twitter and followed the link. Not wading through the whole article but don't want another CMJ situation

Ah, ok. Reading the article, or rather the comments, it would appear he's been handed his P45, though it's speculation; no mention of health. People BTL seem to think he'll still be on TMS.

• Like 1

One of my favourite commentators is Marks - witty and self-deprecating in equal measure. His exchanges with Agnew are usually a vast improvement on the rather tedious 'banter' served up by Vaughan and Boycott. 

Love listening to Marks' educated, mellifluous voice on TMS. I hope he'll carry on. 

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 16:39, Bert Trautmann said:

The kind that kills you 8 years later?

Robin Jackman dead reportedly: https://www.latestly.com/sports/cricket/robin-jackman-dies-at-the-age-of-75-fans-mourn-the-death-of-the-former-england-player-cricket-commentator-2229559.html Cause unknown.

• Like 1

A shockingly sad Christmas for Surrey CC with first Edrich and now this. If these things come in threes which Surrey player comes next? 

2 hours ago, Heef said:

Not long after John R Reid, another NZ stalwart - John F Reid - has passed away. Much younger and more unexpected of course. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/300194432/former-new-zealand-cricketer-john-f-reid-dies-aged-64

Maybe someone should warn politician Lord John Reid, the flat jockey John Reid or Elton's former manager and lover John Reid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Maybe someone should warn politician Lord John Reid, the flat jockey John Reid or Elton's former manager and lover John Reid. 

Put Susanna Reid on suicide watch as she wakes up and realises she has another ten years of working with Piers Morgan to look forward to. 

9 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Put Susanna Reid on suicide watch as she wakes up and realises she has another ten years of working with Piers Morgan to look forward to. 

She could marry Harry Reid, divorce him and marry a younger Andy Reid, divorce him and marry an even younger (by 6 months) Vernon Reid, making her Susanna Reid-Reid-Reid-Reid.

Moeen Ali has tested positive for Covid 19. He is currently in Sri Lanka with the England team. 

He shouldn't have been picked in the first place. He's had a shite last 2 years. 

Presumably others in the touring party will also trst positve at a later date.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exu said:

He shouldn't have been picked in the first place. He's had a shite last 2 years. 

Presumably others in the touring party will also trst positve at a later date.

Not always - some people get the virus but don't seem to be able to pass it on as their spouse does not catch it.

They might as well stay out there though - Sri Lanka with a mere 215 Covid deaths would appear to be a far safer place than Britain right now. 

Odd that the England team was out there last March and had to fly home when the pandemic first broke. 

• Like 1