The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Enjoying the live coverage on Channel 4, the first live free-to-air Test cricket in Britain since 2005 - but perturbed to see there doesn't seem to be a highlights show later. Maybe OK for the weekend, but many will have to work Monday and miss the rest of the match.

Highlights are shown on All4 (C4's streaming/download service)

• Like 2

It does, or I could record it, but watching six hours of cricket after the event is a bit of a faff frankly. 

Would be ideal to have an hour of early evening highlights in place of a repeat of 'Come Dine With Me.'

4 minutes ago, time said:

Highlights are shown on All4 (C4's streaming/download service)

Thanks, will investigate. 

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It does, or I could record it, but watching six hours of cricket after the event is a bit of a faff frankly. 

Would be ideal to have an hour of early evening highlights in place of a repeat of 'Come Dine With Me.'

What???? Watching 48 hours of repeated Test Cricket is not a faff. It is just a general measure of wellbeing and love with life. As for the online commentary of 2005 and 1981. Highlights my arse. 

Former West Indies bowler & coach Ezra Moseley reportedly killed in a SUV v. bicycle collision on Barbados. He celebrated his 63rd birthday a month ago.

He was a member of the West Indies rebel tour of South Africa in 1982 and was the only West Indian who played for the national side once the original lifetime ban had been lifted.. He played in two tests against England (1989-90), taking six wickets and breaking Graham Gooch's hand. He played for Glamorgan in the county championship.

• Like 1

Ezra Moseley, West Indies fast bowler who played two Tests and most famous for breaking Graham Gooch's finger in 1990 has died in a road accident aged 63 according to multiple sources. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Ezra Moseley, West Indies fast bowler who played two Tests and most famous for breaking Graham Gooch's finger in 1990 has died in a road accident aged 63 according to multiple sources. 

I remember that. My Grandad disliked Gooch (and Gatting) with a fervour and laughed his arse off. Happy days. 

Just to note that Ezra Moseley was no relation to Hallam Moseley, who played county cricket for Somerset in the 1970s and whose nephew Shayne just made his debut in a remarkable match in which Bangladesh failed to defend a target of 395. 

Another quick bowler who had to wait until he was past 30 to play Test cricket, JB 'Sam' Gannon who played three times for Bob Simpson's patched-up side against India in 1977-78.

BBL Final: Sydney Sixers vs Perth Scorchers, black armbands, RIP Sam Gannon, cricket news 2021

51 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Just to note that Ezra Moseley was no relation to Hallam Moseley, who played county cricket for Somerset in the 1970s and whose nephew Shayne just made his debut in a remarkable match in which Bangladesh failed to defend a target of 395. 

Another quick bowler who had to wait until he was past 30 to play Test cricket, JB 'Sam' Gannon who played three times for Bob Simpson's patched-up side against India in 1977-78.

BBL Final: Sydney Sixers vs Perth Scorchers, black armbands, RIP Sam Gannon, cricket news 2021

Interesting about Sam Gannon. Very few Australian Test cricketers from the late 70s and early 80s have left us so far. Can only think of David Hookes and Bob Holland. The former didn't die naturally and the latter was well into his 40s when he started playing Test cricket so is not that surprising. 

Four I can think of who appeared in that series: Paul Hibbert (who only played the first Test), Tony Mann, Bruce Yardley and Gannon. Some played their only cricket for Australia while the Packer players were unavailable. 

Bob Simpson on the other hand is still going strong and just turned 85.

32 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Four I can think of who appeared in that series: Paul Hibbert (who only played the first Test), Tony Mann, Bruce Yardley and Gannon. Some played their only cricket for Australia while the Packer players were unavailable. 

Bob Simpson on the other hand is still going strong and just turned 85.

Given the huge number of players who played for Australia in the late 70s and early 80s due to World Series and rebel South Africa tours that's not many. Especially compared to England from that era. 

6 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Given the huge number of players who played for Australia in the late 70s and early 80s due to World Series and rebel South Africa tours that's not many. Especially compared to England from that era. 

That's true. At one time England sides were generally noted for being older than their opponents. In the 1972 Ashes for instance England fielded several players born in the 1930s: skipper Illingworth, Edrich, MJK Smith, D'Oliveira and Price. As well as 41-year-old Close who captained in the ODIs. England tended to favour experience over youthful exuberance (and mobility in the field). 

Bruce Taylor, the only player to hit  a century and take a five-for on test debut , has died aged 77. He'd played only 3 first-class matches before he was selected to tour India (for NZ) in 1965.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Former cricketer, Surrey & Warwickshire & one test for England, Joey Benjamin, has reportedly died from a heart attack, aged 60.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

RIP Joey best known as a one test wonder. His only test appearance for England came against South Africa in august 1994. Although he took 4 -42 in South Africas 1st innings he was overshadowed by Devon Malcolm who took 9-57 in the second innings as England won the match

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

88 next month and Looks in great nick. Plenty 10 years younger who wouldn't look as great

He actually looks better to me than he did 10 years ago. 

On 10/03/2021 at 11:49, six feet blunder said:

RIP Joey best known as a one test wonder. His only test appearance for England came against South Africa in august 1994. Although he took 4 -42 in South Africas 1st innings he was overshadowed by Devon Malcolm who took 9-57 in the second innings as England won the match

RIP. Actually got to play against him during his time playing in the NSSCL before he made the breakthrough into first class cricket at a relatively old age.

• Like 1

He's in hospital now.

• Sad 1