The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Dex Dexter and Ted Dexter within hours....ironically sinister.

(Little Latin joke for those scholars among you...ego ibo meum lorica).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing on TMS which I am listenting to live. Odd.  Update: they did a nice remembrance at lunch. 

On 10/08/2021 at 11:30, Cerberus said:

Family confirm that Chris Cairns has been left paralysed after suffering a stroke during heart surgery and faces 'a long road to recovery'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58353597

• Sad 2

John Watkins, the former South African all-rounder has died aged 98, 10 days after catching covid. He was the oldest surviving test cricketer in the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

John Watkins, the former South African all-rounder has died aged 98, 10 days after catching covid. He was the oldest surviving test cricketer in the world.

Oldest former Test player is now Ronald Draper (wiki), 95 in December and 3.5 years younger than Watkins.

Also a South African. Neither of them picked in the DDP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, time said:

If he'd been English he would have dropped covid.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Oldest former Test player is now Ronald Draper (wiki), 95 in December and 3.5 years younger than Watkins.

Also a South African. Neither of them picked in the DDP.

Neil Harvey must be close to the oldest Test cricketer. Last of Bradman's Invincibles of 1948 and I think the last living player to play in the same team as the Don as well as being a top player in his own right. Worthy of Deathlist consideration I would say if he makes 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Neil Harvey must be close to the oldest Test cricketer. Last of Bradman's Invincibles of 1948 and I think the last living player to play in the same team as the Don as well as being a top player in his own right. Worthy of Deathlist consideration I would say if he makes 2022. 

Third on the list behind Draper and another Aussie, Ken Archer, who has 5 test caps. This is for men only, obviously Eileen Ash  at 109 is older than everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time said:

Third on the list behind Draper and another Aussie, Ken Archer, who has 5 test caps. This is for men only, obviously Eileen Ash  at 109 is older than everyone.

No disrespect to Draper, Archer or Ash but Harvey is a much bigger name as a player than they are. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

No disrespect to Draper, Archer or Ash but Harvey is a much bigger name as a player than they are. 

Shame the stat is "oldest living Test cricketer" not "oldest living famous Test cricketer" isn't it? :rolleyes:

The point is well made though - Harvey in 1950s Australia was at least as famous a sportsman as George Best, say, in 1970s Britain. Definitely 2022-worthy. 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 18:25, Cerberus said:

The point is well made though - Harvey in 1950s Australia was at least as famous a sportsman as George Best, say, in 1970s Britain. Definitely 2022-worthy. 

Definitely. Harvey was as famous in his era as Keith Miller & Richie Benaud were. Miller is remembered probably as he was more extrovert (like Botham, Grace, Stokes) & Benaud for his second career as a commentator in both England & Australia. Benaud seemed to work for whatever channel was televising the cricket & he married the amanuensis (not a euphemism!) of E W Swanton - a legendary cricket writer who was known for his snobbishness. He was born in Catford

but said it was Forest Hill & was so pompous that Ray Illingworth said he was too much of a snob to ride in the same car as his chauffeur!!

Edited by The Watcher
Incorrect name of region of London
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Definitely. Harvey was as famous in his era as Keith Miller & Richie Benaud were. Miller is remembered probably as he was more extrovert (like Botham, Grace, Stokes) & Benaud for his second career as a commentator in both England & Australia. Benaud seemed to work for whatever channel was televising the cricket & he married the amanuensis (not a euphemism!) of E W Swanton - a legendary cricket writer who was known for his snobbishness. He was born in Cathill but said it was Forest Hill & was so pompous that Ray Illingworth said he was too much of a snob to ride in the same car as his chauffeur!!

As you mention him, Ray Illingworth isn't a bad shout either for 2022. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deathrace said:

As you mention him, Ray Illingworth isn't a bad shout either for 2022. 

I read that Illingworth is the only survivor of the very first Question of Sport filmed many decades ago. There's been a lot of publicity about the show this week as there is a new presenter to replace Sue Barker & also new team captains. The 'cosy club' is no more - one red top says it was a nice little earner for them as the 3 of them would go round the country with the show.

On 27/08/2021 at 15:24, RoverAndOut said:

Family confirm that Chris Cairns has been left paralysed after suffering a stroke during heart surgery and faces 'a long road to recovery'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58353597

Statement from Chris Cairns, looking rather well considering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time said:

He sounds ok as well all things considering. 

1 hour ago, time said:

Lucky to survive it full stop. It wasn’t a condition I knew about till my Brother in Law dropped dead last month - he was gone in about 2 minutes flat 

3 and a half weeks before Eileen Ash is 110. If she makes it, she will beat the oldest male cricketer (John Manners) by 5 years. She is the only international cricketer (probably the only person alive to ever touch a cricket bat pre WW1) that has overlapped the life of W G Grace. (1848-1915). Grace of course overlapped the well-known (in his day) cricketer George Brown (1787-1853).

• Like 3

Ivan Johnson, a former team mate of Imran Khan during 4 seasons with Worcestershire in the 70s, has died following a cardiac arrest aged 68. He combined his cricketing career with that of Journalism, working as a trainee reporter at The Tribune in his native Bahamas during the off-season , taking over as chief reporter in 1976 when the incumbent abruptly left.

In 1990 he started his own newspaper, The Punch.

• Like 1

Sri Lanka's first test captain Bandura Warnapura has died aged 68, of a heart attack following a leg amputation necessitated by complications of diabetes.

He was later banned from cricket for 25 years for leading a 'rebel' tour to South Africa, in defiance of anti-apartheid sanctions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Former Test & ODI umpire Fred Goodall of New Zealand has died aged 83. Standing in 24 tests and 15 ODIs, he's most remembered for the second test of the 1980 series against the West Indies, when they refused to to emerge after tea unless he was immediately replaced. They were eventually persuaded to do so by the NZ captain, Geoff Howarth, but after several more decisions went against them, bowler Colin Croft ran into him at the end of the bowling run-up; he maintained it was an accident.

Goodall was also reportedly the youngest ever Test umpire, aged 27 when he first officiated.

• Like 1

Got some information from a friend from the West Indies. It turns out my friend has a distant connection to former West Indies player Vanburn Holder who was on the 1975 World Cup Squad and from what my friend knows, Vanburn Holder is not in the greatest of health these days though my friend does not know details. 

Also worth thinking about his teammates Bernard Julien, who survived cancer in the 2000's, as well as Lance Gibbs and Rohan Kanhai (both aged over 85).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Got some information from a friend from the West Indies. It turns out my friend has a distant connection to former West Indies player Vanburn Holder who was on the 1975 World Cup Squad and from what my friend knows, Vanburn Holder is not in the greatest of health these days though my friend does not know details. 

Also worth thinking about his teammates Bernard Julien, who survived cancer in the 2000's, as well as Lance Gibbs and Rohan Kanhai (both aged over 85).

Quite a lot of decent West Indian cricketers from the 1960s still knocking about. In addition to those names mentioned, Gary Sobers, Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith are all big names from that era still batting well into their 80s. 

• Like 1