The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Mosharraf Hossain update (14 March via Google Translate): https://bn.bdcrictime.com/সংকটাপন্ন-অবস্থায়-আইসিইউ/

Musharraf Rubel in critical condition in ICU

Cricketer Mosharraf Hossain Rubel has been admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Square Hospital in critical condition. He was admitted to the ICU today after his condition deteriorated over the past few days.

Former national team captain and BCB cricket operations manager Shahriar Nafees said in a Facebook post, "Musharraf Rubel has been admitted to Square Hospital (ICU) and his condition is critical. Please pray for him.'

Rubel once played in the Bangladesh national team. Despite losing his place in the national team, he was a regular face in domestic cricket. Mosharraf Rubel dropped out of the field in 2019 after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. Although he almost recovered from the treatment, a new tumor was found in Rubel's brain.

Rubel's life is in danger as a new tumor is found in a sensitive area like the brain. The 39-year-old cricketer, who was on the verge of death, also tried to return to cricket after receiving medical treatment in Singapore. However, if the tumor is caught again, the walking on the field stops.

Then, in the second week of November, Rubel's brain tumor was surgically removed again at a hospital in India. However, there has not been much improvement.

He played 5 ODIs for Bangladesh national team. He is also quite successful in domestic cricket. He has taken 392 wickets in 112 matches in first-class cricket. He collected 3305 runs with two centuries and 16 half centuries at bat.

Hope he pulls through. :pop:

Mohammad Hussain, former Pakistani international cricketer has died aged 45, from kidney-related illness. He played 2 tests and 14 ODIs in a first class career spanning 15 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh wow... now that comes out of nowhere. I might have thought of a Yahoo obit, or a BBC Sports obit. But Mirror? Why...

Congratulations to An Fear Beag though.

Edit: It does keep the DDP on the one-hit-per-day ratio, as of yesterday. We're exactly on that level.

• Like 2

I must be one of the biggest cricket fans on this site, and I'd literally never heard of this guy. Slightly puzzled at the above reactions. Initially I confused him with the Bangladesh quick bowler Rubel Hossain, but 39 would put him far too old. 

Sad news anyway though. 

TBF the shock in this thread isn't that he died (beyond the general sense of "it's sad when someone dies that young") and moreso that he got a DDP-friendly obit when a cricket diehard such as yourself never heard of him.

Ronnie Hellstrom turns over in his grave...

There are millions of Bangladeshi's in the UK and I suspect they are trying to cater for them, Indian and Pakistani readers.

The amount of Swedes are much lower and not as desirable readership wise I suspect.

1 minute ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There are millions of Bangladeshi's in the UK and I suspect they are trying to cater for them, Indian and Pakistani readers.

The amount of Swedes are much lower and not as desirable readership wise I suspect.

tbh I was hoping for a Guardian reference nearer the World Cup, but I've been badly let down by the Swedish national team buggering up their playoff and not qualifying for the bloody tournament. :D

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 17:25, Deathrace said:

As a postscript, there's also nine Australian Test cricketers from the 1950s still alive: 

Gordon Rorke, Keith Slater, Bobby Simpson, Ian Meckiff, Gavin Stevens, John Rutherford, Alan Davidson, Neil Harvey and Ken Archer. 

Simpson, Davidson and Harvey are the biggest names on that list. 

John Rutherford reported dead: https://www.sportfm.com.au/post/john-rutherford-wa-s-first-test-cricketer-dies-age-92

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For England there's Jim Parks, Raman Subba Row, MJK Smith, Roy Swetman, Doug Richardson, Harold Rhodes and Ken Taylor who played Test cricket in the 1950s with Dexter and Illingworth dying recently. So 7 Australians and 7 Englishmen. 

• Like 1

Former Mumbai player Rajesh Verma, a member of the Ranji Trophy winning squad of 2006-07, died on Sunday, following a heart attack.  He was 40.

SC

On 19/04/2022 at 06:11, time said:

Ryan Campbell for the benefit of searches.

Strike him off your Cup teams.

Former WA cricketer Ryan Campbell — who was in an induced coma following a heart attack — is expected to make a full recovery after successfully being discontinued from his heavy sedation.

Australian Cricketers’ Associated shared a statement on behalf of the Campbell Family on Sunday afternoon confirming Ryan was talking and responsive.

John Rutherford, the first Western Australian-based player to be selected for Test cricket, has passed away at the age of 92.

Rutherford, who hailed from Bruce Rock, a small country town 243km east of Perth, played 67 first-class matches between 1952-53 and 1960-61 scoring 3367 runs at 31.76 with six centuries and 15 half-centuries.

WA had no official Test representatives prior to Rutherford's debut.  Rutherford's career ended suddenly at 31 when he suffered a stroke on the field while captaining WA in a tour match against West Indies in 1960.

SC

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

John Rutherford, the first Western Australian-based player to be selected for Test cricket, has passed away at the age of 92.

Rutherford, who hailed from Bruce Rock, a small country town 243km east of Perth, played 67 first-class matches between 1952-53 and 1960-61 scoring 3367 runs at 31.76 with six centuries and 15 half-centuries.

WA had no official Test representatives prior to Rutherford's debut.  Rutherford's career ended suddenly at 31 when he suffered a stroke on the field while captaining WA in a tour match against West Indies in 1960.

SC

:clivedunn:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

:clivedunn:

No point telling him anymore.

The Cunt only posts three things.

1. Someone already posted that they didn't care to search for

2. Someone no one has heard of or cares about.

3. Complaints about others and their posting behavior (irony for the ages).

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Exu said:

Nowt yesterday or today on what's actually wrong with him. Haven't seen anything that looks like informed speculation online either. Stumped, frankly!

• Like 1

Legendary Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds died in a car accident aged 46. He won the World Cup twice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1