The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

RIP. A very talented cricketer who had the misfortune to be playing at a time when Australia had probably the best side in both red and white ball formats of all time. Would probably have played for Australia more than he did during another era.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

eta. BBC Obit.

• Like 2

David Holford, former Barbados & West Indian all-rounder has died aged 82.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 12:30, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Graham Thorpe seriously ill in Hospital.

Nearly a month on and no sign of any real improvement. Ben Stokes wore a shirt in tribute to him for the toss before today's Test between England and New Zealand and confirmed he is still "very unwell". Doesn't exactly sound promising... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61672907

• Like 2

Lots of coverage of the Bob Willis Fund for prostate cancer at this latest Test match including interviews with Alan Lamb, Geoff Miller and Tim Rice who appear to have survived their brushes with the illness. Lamb in particular looks in rude health. 

• Like 1

Former Kiwi captain Barry Sinclair has died aged 85. 

He was captain in 3 of his 21 tests, scoring 3 centuries, but never finishing on the winning side.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When Eileen Ash died last year at the age of 110, it was incorrectly reported that she was the last Test (& probably club) cricketer to have overlapped with the life of the famous W G Grace who died on 23 October 1915. However, in the height of the cricket season when 2 days ago some county games were shortened due to extreme heat (& then yesterday due to poor light), it seems a good time to mention Thelma McKenzie of Australia (& former Test cricketer) who is 107 and was born on 6 April 1915 so she overlapped with W G Grace (born 174 years ago in 1848) for 6 months and 17 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

When Eileen Ash died last year at the age of 110, it was incorrectly reported that she was the last Test (& probably club) cricketer to have overlapped with the life of the famous W G Grace who died on 23 October 1915. However, in the height of the cricket season when 2 days ago some county games were shortened due to extreme heat (& then yesterday due to poor light), it seems a good time to mention Thelma McKenzie of Australia (& former Test cricketer) who is 107 and was born on 6 April 1915 so she overlapped with W G Grace (born 174 years ago in 1848) for 6 months and 17 days.

She’s been discussed many times on here. Likeliness is she’s long dead.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This issue could be solved, but in the Ryerson Index, it is very difficult since we don't know which one it is? There is nothing from her (i thought she was alive), only if she lived under the surname of her last husband. Has she lived all her life in Australia or has she migrated?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gisooo said:

This issue could be solved, but in the Ryerson Index, it is very difficult since we don't know which one it is? There is nothing from her (i thought she was alive), only if she lived under the surname of her last husband. Has she lived all her life in Australia or has she migrated?

I know Wiki is not perfect but if her details are incorrect on 'Oldest Cricketers' then it is the only error that I can find on a very detailed statistical list of deceased & living first class & Test cricketers, male & female. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

I know Wiki is not perfect but if her details are incorrect on 'Oldest Cricketers' then it is the only error that I can find on a very detailed statistical list of deceased & living first class & Test cricketers, male & female. 

I have no idea, we just found out she was in New South Wales in the 70's and as Ulitzer said she may have died there (off the radar maybe) but after the 90's or 2000's.

• Like 2

Laurie Sawle (wiki), first class cricketer who played for Western Australia, dead at 96.

He was also chairman of selectors for the national team between 1984 and 1995.

• Like 4

On 21/07/2022 at 20:26, Ulitzer95 said:

Played just one match in 1948, didn't bat or bowl, it's unlikely anyone alive even remembers her playing.

I suspect one reason why Wisden has never carried a 'Births and Deaths' list for women Test cricketers (when its women's records section is generally pretty thorough) is that so many marry, change their names, and disappear off the radar, especially so for those who played before the 1970s. Male cricketers are affiliated to counties, states or domestic sides and often maintain close ties to the game long into retirement. The only Test players whose deaths aren't recorded are a couple of early South Africans and, more famously, an Indian batsman of the 1930s - Cota Ramaswami, who deliberately disappeared into obscurity in old age. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

He died in a car crash according to multiple reports. 

I swear there’s been so many car crashes this month it’s honestly scary 

• Like 1

Pakistani cricket legend Zaheer Abbas has been in utterly poor health for months after catching covid the second time in late june, had pneumonia and was critical in ICU, put on dialysis and ventilator in a London hospital. For a while it was radio silence on his health, but ten days ago he was reported to still be in hospital, now with pneumonia, kidney failure and liver malfunction

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Former Pakistani test umpire Asad Rauf reported dead aged 66. He was found to have been involved in match fixing and banned for 5 years from 2016.

• Like 3

Former Sussex captain Robin Marlar has died aged 91. He was also The Times' cricket correspondent and once President of the MCC

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, time said:

Former Sussex captain Robin Marler has died aged 91. He was also The Times' cricket correspondent and once President of the MCC

Also stood as the Tory candidate for the seat of Bolster in 1959 when he was just 28. There can't be many UK parliamentary candidates from the 1950s still around. The last few from the 1940s died a few years back now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Travis Basevi, a Cricinfo pioneer, and developer of its StatsGuru feature has died of cancer, aged 47.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not many old cricketers have left the crease of late. But Alan 'Froggy' Thomson who played against England in 1970-71, and also took the first wicket to fall in a one-day international (one G Boycott) is the latest. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/australia-quick-bowler-alan-thomson-who-took-the-first-wicket-in-odi-history-dies-aged-76-1342781

I don't think he's actually demonstrating his 'unusual bowling action' in that photo. I'd have thought there were better images they could have used. 

• Like 2