Guest Tom Green

Who Will Be The First Rolling Stone To Die?

A great, great shame about Charlie. The beat behind one of the most legendary bands of all time.

And Keith lives on :o

I listen to Beatles, not Stones. 

So, how surprising is this death? 

On 05/08/2021 at 01:02, Ulitzer95 said:

Billy Wyman is 85 this year.

Charlie Watts 80.

Keith Richards 78.

Mick Jagger 78.

How the f*** are they all still alive?!

This aged well.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 2

The relative unscathedness of the Stones was one of those welcome musical miracles. But mortality creeps on us all.

RIP

• Like 4

They were about to tour..  Detroit one of their stops in about two months.  Hmmmm show must go on?

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This aged well.

In terms of predictions, hopefully the Motorhead dominos one is equally shite then.

First stone stopped rolling.....

Charlie Rots. Will the devil have any sympathy? 

• Like 1

This feels strangely relevant. 

• Like 2

R.I.P. Charlie 

Dwd6_VeX4AAJOjo.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Is this the start of a domino effect ?

it’s just a shot away

RIP pure legend and such a great drummer. I always liked his calm demeanour. He was the glue that held the Stones together. Somehow, even with age, I wouldn't have picked him as first to go in that band. Jagger once said the Stones would only continue if he, Richards and Watts were all in the band. Interesting to see what they will now decide to do.

• Like 2

On 3 June 2005 at 20:12, Paul Bearer said:

Charlie Watts.

From 16 years ago. Bit of a long wait. 

• Like 2

So I guess the Rolling Stones are now essentially The Mick N Keef Show.

I presume Charlie's death is connected to what he underwent that emergency op for. Really sad news, a huge death and I'm really surprised it isn't getting more coverage on the news - I suppose Biden's continuing Afghanistan cock-up is dominating. Really sad news, seemed a good guy.

To clear up a few little points earlier in the thread, I agree 1940s pop stars (and late 30s/40s-born actors) are the next big DP thing. Never mind the excesses of the 60s and 70s, they're simply all getting on in age. However, unless they are known to have an illness they're currently pot luck - any of them could just pop off out of the blue.

I do think some rock n roll excesses are overestimated, as said by a few people here. However, as also stated, quality of product is important too. You can quite happily maintain a heroin addiction for many years and with little fuss with a decent supply and being careful with dosing. Keef was already rich and with access to the best people with the best connections by the time he dabbled with smack (Robert Fraser, Miles, John Dunbar - the Indica Gallery types - plus minor aristocracy like the Ormsby-Gores). His real rock bottom was 1977 and the Toronto drugs bust - most of the stories of excess after that are almost certainly, if straight up untrue, then exaggerated to maintain the myth.

Re Jefferson Airplane - they used to get their acid direct from Owsley Stanley; there was no better source! I still think Grace Slick will outlive the lot of them, in much the same way that I suspect David Crosby will be the last CSNY to fall. Sod's law and all that. Crosby was by far more of a reckless intoxicant pig than Grace - she was always fairly cautious (didn't touch heroin, for example)  and she's on record as saying, even with drink she was a binger more than anything, she could go months without doing anything but when she did indulge it was to excess and often resulted in bad behaviour. We often think of Grace as being the main hedonist of the Airplane but Jorma Kaukonen's drug intake was far, far riskier to himself.

As for real rock n roll casualties, other than the usual names (Ozzy, Steven Adler) I'd mention John Frusciante, who was really down and out for years. Stevie Wright (Easybeats) was a complete wreck by the time he died. Joe Walsh seems to be somewhat damaged too, he certainly doesn't come across as all there in interviews even today.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Phantom said:

R.I.P. Charlie 

Dwd6_VeX4AAJOjo.jpg

I never knew Javier Bardem played the drums for them.

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1

On 24/08/2021 at 22:07, RIP Wee Jum said:

Is this the start of a domino effect ?

I say that Bill Wyman and Ronnie Wood will go soon enough, Mick Jagger in the next 2-3 years but Keith Richards? Keith Richards has cheated death so much, that I say that Keith will outlive the rest by many years (I think Keith will live to his late 80's)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Former Rolling Stones tour manager Mick Brigden dies while digging his pet's grave.

Bit harsh, he was a fine drummer! ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Former Rolling Stones tour manager Mick Brigden dies while digging his pet's grave.

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1489547/Mick-Brigden-dead-death-Rolling-Stones-tour-manager-digging-dog-grave-news-latest-update

Is life without a dog even worth living?

• Like 1