Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

14 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

He defected so he wasn't a very red Redford.

I'll get me coat.

• Like 7

Italian presenter Daniele Piombi, one of the key figure of Italian TV for decades, has died aged 83.

K-drama star Kim Woo Bin was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer, his agency said on Wednesday (May 24).

"Kim Woo Bin wasn't feeling good and recently visited a doctor. We found out that he has nasopharyngeal cancer," Sidus HQ said in a statement. "He started receiving drug treatment and radiation therapy. Please cheer for and support him."

The agency also said the 27-year-old star of the dramas The Heirs (2013) and Vampire Idol (2011) would focus on having treatment for a while.
SC

I found an interesting interview with Leslie Caron from a few months ago. She seems fine for her age but has some thoughts on death:

"Sitting with Leslie Caron, I am deeply conscious of the weight of her experience. We’re together at the moment she finds out Lord Snowdon has died, in a call from her daughter Jenny. The phone comes down; I see tears in her eyes. She knew him well; he caught his big break when his photographs of her appeared in Vogue, in the Fifties. She stares ahead, stoically. “It’s terrifying how people suddenly just disappear. You want to pull all of your friends close. This is the problem with battling on through life. I’m here, but sometimes it’s very lonely.”"

Also, she says, "... look at Marilyn Monroe. She had a few gorgeous successes, but her life was pure hell. Throughout your career, you were aware of your choices. Are you going to further your career or think of your health? She [Monroe] was reckless.”"

Sounds like Leslie has chosen to look after her health instead.

Source:  http://www.wyldemag.co.uk/a/la-legende/

• Like 1

Maybe not the right place to post it but i was this week in Documenta in Kassel and they had a a retrospective on Lithuanian-American director Jonas Mekas. He is still alive and currently 95 years old and still alive and belongs to a generation of amateur filmmakers who in the 60s made artfilms (when 16MM cameras became publically available). I saw a film by Douglas Gordon where Mekas tells the story of how he was send to a workercamp in the second world war and how he was a man without a country after the war (because it was annexed by the soviets) and eventually ended up in the United States. There where also a lot of videos showing of him which where narrated homevideo travelogues where he went back to Lithuania and the places of his youth and where he was during the war.

I have no idea how obitable he is but could easily imagine him getting a fullpage obituary in the artsection of the Guardian. (edit: definately the case https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/dec/01/jonas-mekas-avant-garde-film-interview and https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/dec/10/video-art-andywarhol )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Mekas

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 07:42, The Dead Cow said:

Things aren't sounding too great for Mao Kobayashi.

Her blog updates in recent weeks have mentioned symptoms of breathlessness and feverishness as well as receiving some blood test results which were worse than she had expected. In the translation of her most recent blog post, she mentions the following:

"Five days have passed.

I have been lying all day for the whole time
It was everyday.
With breathlessness and strange sweating and pain.

Although I could walk normally ten days ago,
It will be barely a matter of walking 10 steps"

Unfortunately, I think I may have been optimistic to say that she'd die at around November/December time. I reckon she's on the clock.

Dead. https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170623/p2g/00m/0dm/061000c

Whilst grateful for the points, I'm actually very sad to hear of her death.

Reading her blog had sort of become part of my daily routine ever since the year begun, and I'll miss translating her words into rather cryptic but at times beautiful updates on her health and her gratitude towards her family. I'm rather surprised as well, because she didn't look days from death on her last blog post a few days ago. RIP Mao.

Well done to Cow and gcreptile on a well-played gamble. :clap:

Wow! I think this puts Still Life in 2nd place. :clap:

Wow. Congratulations to the Dead Cow and gcreptile for making a good punt. :bow:

I had considered Julia Perez the bigger punt. Who would have thought that the right way to play it was to pick both?

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

I had considered Julia Perez the bigger punt. Who would have thought that the right way to play it was to pick both?

Yeah. I knew about one (see deathrace team), but the other avoided me. Of course, I'm doing more research and are picking up some more names this year...

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Still haven't heard of either.  Well done.

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah. I knew about one (see deathrace team), but the other avoided me. Of course, I'm doing more research and are picking up some more names this year...

What do Briggs, Elias, Kobayashi, Lakovic, Nevin, Perez, and Van-Zandvliet all have in common? None of them showed up in my search terms! Some of these names were even mentioned on the forum, ffs. 

Also hoping to do better research next year, and have some new strategies in mind that might help me.

1 minute ago, RadGuy said:

What do Briggs, Elias, Kobayashi, Lakovic, Nevin, Perez, and Van-Zandvliet all have in common? None of them showed up in my search terms! Some of these names were even mentioned on the forum, ffs. 

Also hoping to do better research next year, and have some new strategies in mind that might help me.

Well, be glad you didn't pick up Lakovic, cause that was a list of the lost pick. I knew about Lakovic and Zandvliet, with the latter being my first sub, but I had my doubts on Lakovic obitality. 

• Like 1

This makes Still Life a contender, imo.

26 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Hah, my shortlist has about 30 dead on it - most of them not on my team. D'oh!

• Like 3