Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Dutch TV legend Aart Staartjes has had a stroke. The 79-year old Staartjes is at home recovering.

This guy lives only a few miles away from me. His death would be a shock The Netherlands. He is TV royalty

Eminent classical singer and Padma Vibhushan awardee Girija Devi passed away at a hospital in Kolkata on Tuesday following a cardiac arrest, hospital sources said.

She was 88 and survived by a daughter.
SC

Report of the death of Ray Lovelock, Italian actor, aged 67 from cancer. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/tv-radio/2017/11/10/news/e_morto_ray_lovelock_nei_polizieschi_anni_settanta_e_in_tv-180722972/&prev=search

Probably best known for Cassandra Crossing and his appearance as Fyedke in Fiddler on the Roof. He's the groom.

You know, I saw that Mikhail Zadornov had died this morning, and it was bothering me all day. I know that name from somewhere. Check shortlist/long list, nope. Check some other spots.

Just twigged they were on Switch's Deathlist Cup team. That's why I've heard of him.

Anyhow, he was a Russian comedian, and he's dead at 69.

4 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Well, I'll be damned.

José José has pulled a Stefan Karl - he's "cancer-free".

Pancreatic cancer is still pretty deadly, so I suspect it’ll come back and get him at some point. In the meantime, that means Olivia Newton-John is on my provisional 20 unless I find a suitable replacement for her...

5 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Well, I'll be damned.

José José has pulled a Stefan Karl - he's "cancer-free".

Yes, I saw how he got better. Very, very unusual, especially with his history of alcoholism. I also think that it'll be back.

Hiromi Tsuru, Japanese voice actress who played Bulma in the Dragon Ball franchise and also worked for the past 30 years on the long-running children's series Anpanman, has died from an aortic dissection at the age of 57.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/dragon-ball-voice-actress-hiromi-tsuru-found-dead-in-car_2360289.html

Thought there was a Herzog thread but I'm wrong....

Peter Berling at 83.

German author/actor who was a fav of Herzog.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (excellent) , Fitzcaraldo (excellent), The Name of the Rose, Last Temptation of Christ and The Gangs of New York on his résumé.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkp40PmEsIoFB3dkE1HOK

• Like 2

Aguirre Wrath of God the Herzog with the infamous line (badly paraphrased/remembered here) "Flying death sticks back in fashion"? Killed me when I saw it way back.

I've really screwed that up as it's not showing up in Google. Guy gets hit by an arrow, quips, dies.

Dieter Bellmann, an East German actor with a second act in Germany's most populat medical drama/soap has died at 79:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/dieter-bellmann-star-aus-in-aller-freundschaft-ist-tot-a-1179783.html (german)

The same series that my former Hartlepool Deadlypool pick Hendrikje Fitz came from.

The BBC reports on Sudanese pop star Hawa Mohammed Adam, who has breast cancer and has struggled to access treatment at home.  She has instead received care abroad in Egypt, funded by her fans.

"I discovered that I did not only have one tumour, but several tumours," says the musician, who also teaches piano at the University of Sudan and is looking forward to returning to work.

Leena Kaskela, a longtime Finnish TV news anchor, has died at 77 after a long illness.

Here is a list of surviving People's Artists of the USSR. Remarkably, they all they all tend to receive an obituary in their home country (and usually one in Russia too). Many of these, particularly the Russians, are still popular and prominent even today. After the fall of the Soviet Union they remained well connected and some went into politics themselves. You'll often see them at photoshoots with Vladimir Putin or waving Russian flags at events in support of the annexation of Crimea.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Here is a list of surviving People's Artists of the USSR. Remarkably, they all they all tend to receive an obituary in their home country (and usually one in Russia too). Many of these, particularly the Russians, are still popular and prominent even today. After the fall of the Soviet Union they remained well connected and some went into politics themselves. You'll often see them at photoshoots with Vladimir Putin or waving Russian flags at events in support of the annexation of Crimea.

Great list, thanks a lot. I just thought something like this needed to be done with 3 losses in 3 days.

• Thanks 1

Wikipedia notes the death of a Lev Venediktov, the fourth dead People's artist of the USSR in four days.