Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Egypt’s state-owned media says the army officer credited with the idea to destroy the Bar Lev line on the Suez Canal’s eastern bank during the 1973 Arab Israeli war has died.

The Akhbar al-Youm daily said Baki Zaki Youssef died on Saturday at the age of 87.

State-run Al Ahram daily hailed him as a “hero” while recounting war’s lead-up and how he thought to destroy the Bar Lev line with water pumps.
SC

• Like 1

Cuban singer Xiomara Alfaro passed away in Cape Coral, Fla. on June 24 at the age of 88 from respiratory failure.
The soprano, known for 'Siboney' and other classic Cuban songs, was a star of Havana stages and movies in the 1950s.

Well there goes a perfectly good 'X' in the ABC dpool.
SC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

According to a list acknowledging the deaths of local politicians, former Scottish Labour Party politician Norman Godman has died. No corroborating obituary, as of yet.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/organisation-page/association-former-members-parliament/43788/remembrance-departed-colleagues

Foreign personality?

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Foreign personality?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a general U.K. political thread.  I'm Canadian.  To me, he's foreign. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, alt obits guy said:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a general U.K. political thread.  I'm Canadian.  To me, he's foreign. 

ha, you have to reverse think, this is a British site. I've posted in the Political Frailty thread.

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

ha, you have to reverse think, this is a British site. I've posted in the Political Frailty thread.

Yes, that could've been another option.  Thanks for the cross-post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

There's a thread for Aristocrats which is where this chap could go.

Thanks!  Done.

• Like 1

Too little too late for Sir Creep's favourite Cup team member, 92-year old ND Tiwari, who was shifted yesterday to the ICU of a private hospital in New Delhi.  His condition is "extremely serious", his son Rohit Shekhar Tiwari said today.  According to Rohit Shekhar, his father has been put on dialysis "due to failure of his kidneys" and he is also being given antibiotics and antifungal medicines to fight infection in his stomach.

That said, SCreep has him on a couple new teams just launched so there's that.
SC

• Like 1

TV actor Kavi Kumar Azad, best-known for his role of Dr Hansraj Haathi in the popular comedy show Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, died today after suffering a cardiac arrest. Mr Azad was unwell and was admitted at Wokhardt Hospital in Mumbai. Asit Kumarr Modi, the producer of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, confirmed the news of the actor's death. 

SC

I think the stars are aligning..... I have a premonition that I will land a daily double ND Tiwari/Kulsoom Nawaz.  Dunno what day, but maybe by week's end. 

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I think the stars are aligning..... I have a premonition that I will land a daily double ND Tiwari/Kulsoom Nawaz.  Dunno what day, but maybe by week's end. 

Tiwari — multiple organ failure.

On 06/12/2016 at 05:11, Gooseberry Crumble said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/05/asia/jayaraman-jayalalithaa-obit/

Indian politician and former film actress Jayaraman Jayalalithaa refereed to by some as a goddess dies aged 68.

They tried to make her go to weight surgery, but she said no, no, no!

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/j-jayalalithaa-said-no-to-weight-loss-surgery-wanted-to-cut-down-weight-through-diet-doctor/articleshow/64949393.cms

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

You say that, but she's done brilliantly with weight loss since December 2016.

• Like 4

WIG OUT!!!

Prof N N Wig
, the doyen of Psychiatry in India who led many pioneering studies related to mental health at national and international levels and headed departments in various prestigious institutions like AIIMS, Delhi and PGIMER, died here at the age of 88 after a brief illness.  He breathed his last yesterday at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), where he had set up the psychiatry department in 1963.
SC

• Like 1

Finnish actor Tapani Perttu has died at age 78 after years of Parkinson's disease.

He was a fine singer too: