Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

18 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Unconfirmed reports calypso musician Winston Bailey aka Mighty Shadow has died at age 77.

Unconfirmed reports where? State in your posts... and if it's Twitter, FB etc. then provide a link so we can judge credibility ourselves.

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Unconfirmed reports where? State in your posts... and if it's Twitter, FB etc. then provide a link so we can judge credibility ourselves.

I prefer to wait for a proper source.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Unconfirmed reports calypso musician Winston Bailey aka Mighty Shadow has died at age 77.

Now confirmed

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/local/the-mighty-shadow-has-died/article_34410394-d6c3-11e8-9e5a-234f910deb0e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

31 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

If you edit the OP, it counts as one post.  If you quote yourself, it counts as two.  We see what's going on here.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

If you edit the OP, it counts as one post.  If you quote yourself, it counts as two.  We see what's going on here.

Sometimes, a source isn't immediately available.  Usually, I do edit to keep it one post, if the information becomes available shortly afterward.  However, when somebody has already responded, I find editing the original post complicates the thread.

On 24/03/2011 at 23:52, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Monica Vitti 

87 today! Another useless :birthday:

Shin Seong-Il aka Shin Sung-Il, a legendary figure in the South Korean cinema who made 500 films over 40 years, has died.  He was 81.  His date of death is November 4th, not April 4th, as indicated in the translation.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/11/04/2018110400019.html&prev=search

Edit:  English language obit:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/11/689_258135.html

On 10/12/2017 at 14:17, gcreptile said:

Great list, thanks a lot. I just thought something like this needed to be done with 3 losses in 3 days.

On 09/12/2017 at 19:35, Thatcher said:

Here is a list of surviving People's Artists of the USSR. Remarkably, they all they all tend to receive an obituary in their home country (and usually one in Russia too). Many of these, particularly the Russians, are still popular and prominent even today. After the fall of the Soviet Union they remained well connected and some went into politics themselves. You'll often see them at photoshoots with Vladimir Putin or waving Russian flags at events in support of the annexation of Crimea.

Igor Luchenok dead

https://www.tvr.by/eng/news/kultura/ushel_iz_zhizni_legendarnyy_kompozitor_narodnyy_artist_belarusi_igor_luchenok/

Véronique Sanson cancels Pleyel concerts  (en français)

(news about her was originally in the Possibilities for 2019 thread but due to latest update I think this is more suitable here)

Véro originally cancelled dates from her tour, including the Roubaix concert I was due to go to :rant:, back in September after announcing that she was being treated for throat cancer (more precisely, a tumour on a tonsil), but was hopeful to complete the final dates of her tour at Salle Pleyel, Paris, at the end of the year.  I always thought this was a bit optimistic and so it comes to pass.

For those who can't/be bothered to read French:

"Véronique had a radiotherapy treatment in October which forced us to cancel her concerts in November (...) Side effects due to radiation therapy require Veronique to rest for at least three months," explains her promoter Gilbert Coullier . 

"There is no second tumor or spread in the mouth. The radiation therapy has just caused an inflammation of the area that does not allow him to sing, "said a close source of the singer in Le Parisien. 

Unless the cancer does spread, I don't think she's a contender for 2019. She's always had somewhat fragile health but radiotherapy isn't as nasty as chemotherapy so I expect to see her back to full strength and on tour sometime next year.

Lucho Gatica

The Chilean Singer is dead at 90. One of the most popular Bolero Singer's of the 50s and 60s,was especially a favorite of my Abuelita.  There was an interview with him in Billboard earlier in the year,and he has a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.So some english language obits should roll in over the next week.

Malaysian actor Zaibo never had the chance to become the Spanky Manikan of 2019:

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/under-one-roof-star-zaibo-dies-from-cancer-at-62

• Angry 1

Even the Cup shortlisters are going now. (Also likely Deathracer and potential Alt Obit'er.)

On 14/11/2018 at 05:06, gcreptile said:

Malaysian actor Zaibo never had the chance to become the Spanky Manikan of 2019:

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/under-one-roof-star-zaibo-dies-from-cancer-at-62

Well fuck.  I’m actually saying ‘well fuck’ as it looks like someone else was onto this guy, I honestly thought I had a unique.

SC

35 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Well fuck.  I’m actually saying ‘well fuck’ as it looks like someone else was onto this guy, I honestly thought I had a unique.

SC

Well, depends on the Deadpool. I'm pretty sure he would have been a unique for you in the DDP.

• Like 1

Alyque Padamsee, who was known for his role as Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the film Gandhi, died today at the age of 90.

Padamsee was widely regarded as the Father of modern Indian advertising, as he founded Lintas, which is considered one of the top advertising agencies in the country. He made his stage debut at the age of 7 in Merchant of Venice, a William Shakespeare play, directed by his brother Bobby Padamsee.

SC

Decorated war veteran Brigadier Kuldip Singh Chandpuri died in a private hospital in Mohali near here on Saturday, family sources said. He was 78.

Chandpuri, who was an Army Major during the 1971 India-Pakistan war, had held his post through the night in the famous battle of Longewala in Rajasthan with just 120 men against a full-fledged attack by advancing Pakistani Patton tanks.

SC

Former Chief Secretary Mohammad Iqbal Khanday died after a prolonged illness on Sunday night. He was suffering from lung cancer.

Khanday, 63, who is survived by his wife and daughter, was laid to rest in Srinagar on Monday evening.  Khanday had resigned on August 25, 2015, three months ahead of his retirement without citing any reasons.

SC