Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Well another one gone before the gong with the death at 97 of Sabine Weiss, French photographer. Wanted to include her on my list for next year. RIP

• Like 2

Mexican actor Alfonso Mejia dead at 87. Notable for playing a lead role in Bunuel's classic teenage street-gang movie Los Olvidados, and for having been the last surviving member of the cast.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 02:09, arghton said:

Silvia Pinal hospitalised (apparently in ICU) with arrhythmia and high blood pressure, has also tested positive for covid in hospital but already vaccinated three times:

https://elpais.com/mexico/2021-12-23/la-actriz-mexicana-silvia-pinal-hospitalizada-por-covid-19.html

Silvia Pinal also suffered from urinary tract infection and pneumonia but was apparently discharged on the 29th, currently cared for by a nurse at home. 

On 25/07/2021 at 23:02, arghton said:

List of Calypso Monarchs from 1939-2010 (not including the newest ones) confirmedly still alive (there are a few early ones who are presumably dead), as some younger calypso singers (including 2003 monarch Singing Sandra):

From Wikipedia:

The Calypso Monarch (originally Calypso King) contest is one of the two major annual calypso competitions held in Trinidad as part of the annual carnival celebrations.

List:

1956, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1972, 1973 and 1992: Mighty Sparrow, real name Slinger Fransisco (b. 1935) 8-time winner called the "Calypso King of the World". Undefeatable not only in calypso but also in health, as he looks much younger than what he is and still performs.

1964: Mighty Bomber, real name Clifton Ryan (b. 1928) Alive according to facebook, it has recent pictures of him (ca. 2019) and a message presumably from him about celebrating his 93th birthday. Often confirms that he is alive on his birthday on 30th of January by thanking god for another year.

1976, 1977, 1981, 1989, 1993, 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2017: Chalkdust, real name Hollis Liverpool (b. 1940) Starting to look older, but still performs.

Clifton Ryan aka. Mighty Bomber won't thank god for another year anymore, as he died in his sleep on new year's day at the age of 93, under a month before his 94th: https://newsday.co.tt/2022/01/02/veteran-calypsonian-mighty-bomber-dies-at-93/

Mighty Sparrow ORTT CMT OBE, called the Calypso King of the World is now the oldest Calypso Monarch living. He's 86 and still performing:

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 15:24, Lafaucheuse said:

Ohoh : one of the Bogdanov’s brother, Grichka, dead at 72. Huge new in France as they’re really famous and often on the television. I’ve seen them both at a party 2 years ago and can tell you that they looked quite scary. Dunno if they’re also famous outside of here though 

And now Igor Bogdanoff dead too !! 

• Like 9
  • Shocked 2

On 28/12/2021 at 14:24, Lafaucheuse said:

Ohoh : one of the Bogdanov’s brother, Grichka, dead at 72. Huge new in France as they’re really famous and often on the television. I’ve seen them both at a party 2 years ago and can tell you that they looked quite scary. Dunno if they’re also famous outside of here though 

And now Igor also dead.

• Like 3

I'm stunned. Someone actually beat Thatcher to a death post. Historic day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Just now, Thatcher said:

And now Igor also dead.

Ahah we’re both quite quick ! First Breaking News from Le Monde in France ! A hit for me already but I regret that I didn’t put him in ao…

18 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

And now Igor also dead.

Wow, they certainly had faces you couldn’t forget, I only knew them from being an unapologetic fan of the ‘Masked Singer’ franchise and they appeared on the French version. Possibly the first contestants to die from any version of that show? God knows…

2 hours ago, msc said:

I'm stunned. Someone actually beat Thatcher to a death post. Historic day! 

My sincere and deepest condolences to Thatcher and all who love him/her/it on today's news.

• Haha 3

On 04/09/2021 at 20:28, arghton said:

8. Paavo Nikula, father of Jone Nikula, former Chancellor of Justice until his 2007 intracranial hemorrhage, 79

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/260ad721-e036-489b-9911-77f7deae56ef

His successor, Jaakko Jonkka, Chancellor of Justice of Finland 2007-2017 has died after a short illness at 68.

How is Paavo still alive? He hasn't been seen since his ICH in 2007. 

F Sionil José dead at 97

• Like 3

Not many Filipino names left on my list of people born up to 1926 now. There were dozens when I started it in '08.

The survivors:

Avelina Gil (wiki, b. 1917) writer
Whang-od (wiki, b. 1917) tattoo artist
Josefina Constantino (wiki, b. 1920) essayist and poet
Rosalia Merino Santos (wiki, b. 1923) dancer and choreographer
Juan Ponce Enrile (wiki, b. 1924) President of the Senate, 2008–2013
Magdalena Gamayo (wiki, b. 1924) weaver
Virginia Ty-Navarro (wiki, b. 1924) sculptor
Eugenia Apostol (wiki, b. 1925) publisher
Amelita Ramos (wiki, b. 1926) First Lady, 1992–1998

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not many Filipino names left on my list of people born up to 1926 now. There were dozens when I started it in '08.

The survivors:

Avelina Gil (wiki, b. 1917) writer
Whang-od (wiki, b. 1917) tattoo artist
Josefina Constantino (wiki, b. 1920) essayist and poet
Rosalia Merino Santos (wiki, b. 1923) dancer and choreographer
Juan Ponce Enrile (wiki, b. 1924) President of the Senate, 2008–2013
Magdalena Gamayo (wiki, b. 1924) weaver
Virginia Ty-Navarro (wiki, b. 1924) sculptor
Eugenia Apostol (wiki, b. 1925) publisher
Amelita Ramos (wiki, b. 1926) First Lady, 1992–1998

According to this Virginia Ty-Navarro died in 1996.

Avelina Gil and Josefina Constantino are quite borderline. Wouldn't be surprised if they die off radar.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drol said:

According to this Virginia Ty-Navarro died in 1996.

Avelina Gil and Josefina Constantino are quite borderline. Wouldn't be surprised if they die off radar.

Thanks for that!

Also found this. It confirms it and states she died from Alzheimer's (in the "touch-up" section).

screenshot-2022-01-06-at-17-29.png.20108d1b3416e1881dfa965fe579aee2.png

• Like 1

Whang-od and Juan Ponce Enrile seems the toughest and both still pretty active (that Wangh-od still works daily, see on Twitter). Actually I read somewhere Whang-od does not exactly know when she was born and 1917 is a "fixed" date. She was actually born "between 1917 and 1925".

• Like 2