Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

Rahul Bajaj, chairman emeritus of Bajaj Auto, died in Pune on Saturday of cardiac and respiratory ailments at the age of 83.

After returning from Harvard Business School with an MBA in the 1960s, he built Bajaj Auto into the country's pre-eminent two-wheeler company with households willing to wait for a decade to own a Bajaj Chetak or Bajaj Super scooter. Its iconic 'Hamara Bajaj' campaign became synonymous with middle-class dreams.

SC

SirC: Doc, what did my MRI say about my injury?

Doc: Well, Sir Creep, looks like you have a deep sidhu. I’m scheduling surgery for Monday.

Actor-turned-activist Deep Sidhu, accused of being the key conspirator of the Red Fort violence on Republic Day last year, died Tuesday evening after his car hit a truck on Kundli-Manesar-Palwal expressway near Kharkhoda in Haryana's Sonipat district, police said.  He was 37.

SC

Filipino weaver Apuh Ambalang Ausalin dead at 78:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/02/18/22/manlilikha-ng-bayan-ambalang-ausalin-passes-away-at-78

She was one of the 16 recipients of National Living Treasures Award (Philippines), for people who have contributed to the country's cultural heritage, awarded since 1993:

1. Ginaw Bilog (1953-2003) For Mangyan poetry. 

2. Masino Intaray (1943-2013) Palawan musician and epic chanter.

3. Samaon Sulaiman (1953-2011) Kutyapi boat-lute musician.

1998:

4. Lang Dulay (1928-2015) Traditional T'nalak weaver.

5. Salinta Monon (1920-2009) "last Bagowo weaver"

6. Alonzo Saclag (1942-) Traditional Kalinga musician.

7. Frederico Caballero (1938-) Sugidanon epic chanter.

8. Uwang Ahadas (1945-) Folk musician.

9. Darhata Sawabi (died 2005) Pis Syabit weaver.

10. Eduardo Mutuc (1949-) Pinukpuk metalworker.

11. Haja Amina Appi (1925-2013) Sama master mat weaver.

12. Teofilo Garcia (1941-) Ilocano hatter.

13. Magdalena Gamayo (1924-) Ilocano weaver. 

14. Ambalang Ausalin (1943-2022) Yakan traditional weaver.

15. Estelita Bantilan (1940-) Blaan traditional weaver.

16. Fu Yabing Masalan Dulo (1914-2021) Blaan traditional weaver.

There are a lot of countries that have these types of awards, however all of the Filipino recipients are notable enough to have a Wiki page. Only 7 out of the 16 are alive, but if you need any weavers on your teams...

• Like 1

Russian actor Boris Nevzorov dead at 72

• Like 2

The Kenyan High Commissioner to Nigeria, Wilfred Machage, on Saturday, slumped in his Abuja residence from where he was rushed to a hospital where he was confirmed dead.

According to The Standard newspaper in Kenya, Sospeter Magita, his twin brother who is a former Kenya ambassador to Russia, said he died after eating lunch.

SC

French biologist Francois Gros dead at 95 

I was sure I had him on my list but apparently I dropped him last minute…

• Like 1

German actress Sabine Bethmann (Wiki) reported dead at 90

In the 50s and 60s, she played in around 40 films and had even been booked for the female lead role in "Spartacus", but director Stanley Kubrick replaced her against the will of producer Kirk Douglas by Jean Simmons.

The death was made known by this.   RIP (October 25, 1931 - November 8, 2021)

PS: The obituary says she died at 81

Sabine Bethmann | Discography | Discogs 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gisooo said:

German actress Sabine Bethmann (Wiki) reported dead at 90

In the 50s and 60s, she played in around 40 films and had even been booked for the female lead role in "Spartacus", but director Stanley Kubrick replaced her against the will of producer Kirk Douglas by Jean Simmons.

The death was made known by this.   RIP (October 25, 1931 - November 8, 2021)

PS: The obituary says she died at 81

Sabine Bethmann | Discography | Discogs 

Official death notice here says born 1929, so she was 92.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2021 at 20:28, arghton said:

I actually did a 50-person list of ailing/old/frail/dying Finnish celebs around august 2020...

New list for October 2021-2023:

1. Martti Ahtisaari (1937-) President 1994-2000, Alzheimer's
2. Jyrki Kasvi (1964-16 November 2021) Former parliament member, incurable cancer
3. Viesker (1989-) Best Finnish racehorse in history
4. Paavo Lipponen (1941-) Prime Minister 1995-2003, impressive history of heart problems

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ravit/a/a84ca35f-976c-4147-a609-d37e2437c8f6

Viesker (Finnish wiki) best Finnish racehorse in history, five-time winner of Ravikuninkuus dead at 32. 

Quite a legend. Thousands of people came to see the horse on his 30th birthday.

Geoffrey T. Malone, the co-founder of the Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF), has died.

Per a Straits Times report, Malone died on Thursday (February 17) after a long illness at the age of 79.

SC

Rep. Charlie Cojuangco of Tarlac's 1st District (Philippines) has died, his wife confirmed on Tuesday. He was 58.

SC

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/a/b537766d-13ac-4ecd-b7f4-d208e2540819

Kenyan actor Telley Savalas Otieno dead at 43 in a traffic accident.

He was known for portraying Marshall C. G. E. Mannerheim in the Finnish-Kenyan fictional film The Marshal of Finland (2012) 

84a483179234960b7707e99960560a3b.jpg.9c58053b4a4075129e3e977158ba966f.jpg

It was very controversial at the time, caused a debate before it was even released due to Mannerheim's actor being Kenyan. Woke up a few dinosaurs (Gustav Hägglund, Matti Kassila, Jörn Donner) who rushed to comment about how wrong it was to ruin Mannerheim's reputation

Article from 2012: http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/yles_new_take_on_mannerheim_stirs_a_hornets_nest/6257902

32 minutes ago, Planetist said:

Jaakko Kuusisto has died.

Sense this is the beginning of another late-month "ha ha, you can't put me on your Deathlist Cup team now" surge

11 hours ago, Planetist said:

Jaakko Kuusisto has died.

0% chance another human pulled off the double A double K double U combo.  Something to be said for being a unique human in 5BY.

Veteran Nollywood actor, Chief Lari Williams, has died at the age of 81 following a long illness.

Williams, who was famous for his roles in hit soap operas such as Village Headmaster, Ripples, and Mirror in The Sun, died peacefully on Sunday at his home in Ikom.

During his lifetime, Williams was a poet, playwright and celebrated actor both in live theatre and on screen, earning him a prestigious national honour; Member of the Order of the Federal Republic in 2008.

Chief Williams was the first president of the Actors’ Guild of Nigeria and had a career that spanned over five decades.

SC

French philosopher Marcel Conche dead at 99, 2 months before his centennial. I red several books of him during my studies, he was a true genius… RIP…

+1 for my french list which means 6/50 already ! 

• Like 2

Huge one in France : Jean Pierre Pernault, Newsreader  for 32 years on National Television has died after a long battle with cancer at 71. Another miss after Dominique Paturel on my french time, damn, I let them down just before finishing my list !! He was so loved out there, a sad news… 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Huge one in France : Jean Pierre Pernault, Newsreader  for 32 years on National Television has died after a long battle with cancer at 71. Another miss after Dominique Paturel on my french time, damn, I let them down just before finishing my list !! He was so loved out there, a sad news… 

Left him off every team in favor of the two cancer-ridden Brit newsreaders.  Big mistake, so far, but the year's still relatively young.

Accidental alt obits hit for me, as I just slapped him onto the team as a replacement. I take it though.

• Like 1

https://min.news/en/entertainment/570bbacd1b7d9290489ee9be405b0c4b.html

Badly translated article on Hong Kong film industry stars. Mentions twelve people who have recently died and four who are currently battling serious illnesses:

1. Zhang Weiwen (64) Popular singer there, suffers from diabetes, lumbar spondylosis and a plethora of other health issues. Recently diagnosed with covid, "relies on four oxygen machines to breathe"

2. Yuan Weiren or Yuan Wei-jen (53) "Well-known Taiwanese singer-songwriter and producer" who had a cerebral hemorrhage in 2018, fell into coma for two months, diagnosed with brain tumor, fall in 2020, apparently now bedridden and in vegetative state.

3. Li Jiaxin (52) Hong Kong actress, went into ICU in critical condition a few months ago and "almost became a vegetable" but has now mostly recovered, not in serious condition.

4. Yu Yuanqi (38/39) Taiwanese singer, she's been suffering from terminal colorectal cancer for ages, estimated to have only two months to live last month.  DEAD

• Like 3

Nadungamuwa Raja, main casket bearer of the procession of Esala, The Festival of the Tooth dead at 68/69 from a heart attack:

http://www.adaderana.lk/news/81029/ceremonial-tusker-nadungamuwa-raja-dies

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sri-lankas-most-sacred-elephant-dead-68-stuffed-posterity/

nadungamuwa.png.740b88a83b0bf2d2de1f4cdcb15fb184.png

Yes, the elephant. Due to his important role in that festival, he had his own armed guards. The President of Sri Lanka has issued directives to name him a national treasure.

• Like 3