Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

23 hours ago, RadGuy said:

What do Briggs, Elias, Kobayashi, Lakovic, Nevin, Perez, and Van-Zandvliet all have in common? None of them showed up in my search terms! Some of these names were even mentioned on the forum, ffs. 

Also hoping to do better research next year, and have some new strategies in mind that might help me.

Well yes but how are the obits working out?  Not so well.  Lakovic is killing me -- this year's Tony Adamowicz.  Sonovabitch.

SC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Well yes but how are the obits working out?  Not so well.  Lakovic is killing me -- this year's Tony Adamowicz.  Sonovabitch.

SC

Here's a solution: don't go for Us/Canadian sports people unless they are actually well known in the U.K. 

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Here's a solution: don't go for Us/Canadian sports people unless they are actually well known in the U.K. 

Sir Creep gets a pass on Lakovic....

:unsure:

Although in fairness, another 50/50er I am pretty sure me and DI were both going for, went in late December without a single British obit. Sods law, really.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Although in fairness, another 50/50er I am pretty sure me and DI were both going for, went in late December without a single British obit. Sods law, really.

Alphonse Mouzon? He was supposed to be Sir Creep's joker, actually. Dodged a bullet with that one.

• Like 1

Kobayashi knew how to do family photos. All should be thus _92606106_mao_familypic.jpg.e0f662eb815e

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Alphonse Mouzon? He was supposed to be Sir Creep's joker, actually. Dodged a bullet with that one.

I'd win a lot of DPs if I did what I was supposed to do in late December. :(
I had forgotten that name in fact until now. 
SC

14 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

*nods*

Mouzon was a name I might have considered in earlier circumstances, but similar names not QOing that year made me realize even before his death that "played with a lot of jazz giants" wasn't the safe ticket to a Guardian obit I thought it was.

"Played with a lot of jazz giants".... I've 'heard' of that one.

Italian presenter and music expert Paolo Limiti has died of cancer, aged 77. Funny guy, cryptogay.

1 hour ago, BeretBleu said:

Louis Nicollin, president of Montpellier HSC is dead . One of the biggest personnality of french football.

RIP . :(

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Louis-nicollin-est-mort/814528

Condoléances. :( Je n'ai pas suivi le football français avant, mais j'ai décidé d'adopter Amiens SC Licornes comme mon équipe. Ils font leurs débuts à la Ligue 1 cette année. Leur premier match sera contre Paris Saint-Germain, donc j'espère qu'ils seront annihilés. :P

Nigerian entertainer deaths so far in 2017.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2014 at 00:26, Predictor said:

This discussion about German Nazi-era film stars reminded me of Anneliese Uhlig. Born in 1918, she is still alive and actually appeared in a German TV movie called George in 2013. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2485900/

She resides in California nowadays: https://familysearch...3/1:1:QJF8-HFN5

Reportedly dead. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faz.net%2Faktuell%2Fgesellschaft%2Fmenschen%2Fanneliese-uhlig-ist-tot-die-frau-die-sich-goebbels-widersetzte-15092590.html&edit-text

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Interesting lady.  Refused to jump onto Goebbel's casting couch, thus finishing her German film career.  She was only 22 at the time, so it was a brave thing to do. 

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

"Legendary" South African musician Ray Phiri dies just days after news of his terminal lung cancer hit the web:

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/mpumalanga/riprayphiri-legendary-musician-has-died-10247197

Gets a BBC obit as well, though not too surprising as BBC's Africa Live ticker reported on the diagnosis a few days ago.

Pop stars from major Anglophone African nations are guaranteed as BBC pick-ups now, a lot more than the equivalent famed star from, say, Germany or France would be. Yes I am still annoyed about Michel Delpech.

Does seem that way, I think that's the fourth or fifth South African pop star to get a BBC obit in the past year now? Him, Mandoza, that jazz singer Mandela liked and a gospel singer, and probably a few others.

28 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Does seem that way, I think that's the fourth or fifth South African pop star to get a BBC obit in the past year now? Him, Mandoza, that jazz singer Mandela liked and a gospel singer, and probably a few others.

Mandoza. I'm just going to assume that he was a cert on you and Spade's teams, and thus only a 10 pointer...

November/December is the graveyard of smart "could have been" DDP picks. April/May is the graveyard of foolish picks.