Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Pop stars from major Anglophone African nations are guaranteed as BBC pick-ups now, a lot more than the equivalent famed star from, say, Germany or France would be. Yes I am still annoyed about Michel Delpech.

In addition to that I think BBC-Guardian have some Jazz aficianados among the obit writers. It would be shocking if major figures in Ethiopian music like Mulatu Astatke or Ali Barra did not get Qualifying Obits should they pass away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

In addition to that I think BBC-Guardian have some Jazz aficianados among the obit writers. It would be shocking if major figures in Ethiopian music like Mulatu Astatke or Ali Barra did not get Qualifying Obits should they pass away.

Ooh, someone else listened to the collection ETHIOPIQUES? I'd say, the no.1 name is Mahmoud Ahmed.

Edit: Winner of the BBC 2007 World Music Award.

17 hours ago, gcreptile said:

If you want to see a pancreatic cancer face of someone who REALLY won't make it to 2018, here's José José:

http://puentelibre.mx/noticia/93516-jose_jose_reaparece/2

He is on my Gris Gris team (that wasn't accepted this year a-hem).  He had a huge drinking problem some time ago so no doubt it's self induced.  He was supposed to be clean in recent years (meaning 3 or so) but the damage musta been done, which is why despite being only 61 or so, he made my cut.  So now the gig is up.  Thanks for telling everyone.

SC

Mirgayas Shirinsky, the Russian ambassador to Sudan, has been found dead aged 62 in his swimming pool. This marks the 9th Russian diplomat to die in the space of less than a year. 

Disgusted that the non-diaspora Italians on this forum didn't alert me to the fact that Gero Caldarelli died at 75 earlier this week. the man inside true Italian culture icon and national hero Gabibbo:

gabibbo-morto-gero.jpg

14 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Mirgayas Shirinsky, the Russian ambassador to Sudan, has been found dead aged 62 in his swimming pool. This marks the 9th Russian diplomat to die in the space of less than a year. 

Under the radar (and possible conspiracy theory), how about all the American diplomats coming back from Cuba with sudden brain ailments and nerve disorders?
SC

Legendary Italian dubber Mario Milita, Italian voice of Abraham Simpson until 2008, has died on August the 22nd aged 94.  Also dubbed John Pertwee in Worzel Gummidge and Fred Flinstone in every Flinstones episode. Truly on of the greatest dubbers ever.

Former Minister of Foreign Affairs in Iran and leader of the Freedom Movement of Iran Ebrahim Yazdi is dead at 85. Another pretty significant death from August...

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:25, drol said:

Last week Mireille Darc was gravely ill and near death after sepsis and three operations to her liver and bladder. This was reported by multiple sources, but denied by her husband. Now it seems there's at least something real about it, but she won't necessarily die.

Apparently she will: https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rtl.fr%2Fculture%2Fcine-series-jeux-video%2Fmireille-darc-est-decedee-a-l-age-de-79-ans-7785046830&edit-text

Darc deceased.

On 8/24/2017 at 04:05, Thatcher said:

Do you happen to have a link to a piece which talks about all 9? Everything I've seen has named up to 8, max, and this is just fascinating me, the way the Russian dominoes are falling!

2 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Do you happen to have a link to a piece which talks about all 9? Everything I've seen has named up to 8, max, and this is just fascinating me, the way the Russian dominoes are falling!

Here you go.