harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Jerry Lee Lewis

4 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

So besides Sonny Rollins and JLL, are there any other 50's major solo artists left standing?

I can think of Helen Merrill but don't know if she is considered as big as both of them.

Duane Eddy, Johnny Mathis and Don Everly (not a solo artist, I know, but still worth mentioning) all come to mind, besides those who have already been mentioned.

Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, the surviving Shadows, Jerry Allison of The Crickets and the surviving Crew Cuts also boing to the brain!

Notably two charting members of Bill Haley and his Comets are still alive and a few of The Crickets.

Duane Eddy being alive always surprises me.

There's also Eugene Wright from the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Last one standing.

Oh, if we’re including band members too Jimmy Cobb is still alive from Kind of Blue...

Think Brenda Lee Just scrapes in here.

14 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

So besides Sonny Rollins and JLL, are there any other 50's major solo artists left standing?

Connie Francis and Caterina Valente were superstars those days.

Duane Eddy's not long turned 82, fairly clean living most of his life, I think - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Eddy

Likely the best of the rest once Lee Lewis goes, but frankly we are down to one legend in terms of original rock n rollers.

Pat Boone deserves a place on the Fifties survivors list as well. Petula Clark as well.

Lloyd Price (Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Personality) was a star on Specialty Records before Little Richard - he’s still about. There’s also Leon Hughes of the Coasters, Huey “Piano” Smith, Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Most of the UK rock and rollers are still about - Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Terry Dene, Wee Willie Harris, Jim Dale. Vera Lynn counts too, she had UK number ones in the 50s. 

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Lloyd Price (Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Personality) was a star on Specialty Records before Little Richard - he’s still about. There’s also Leon Hughes of the Coasters, Huey “Piano” Smith, Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Most of the UK rock and rollers are still about - Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Terry Dene, Wee Willie Harris, Jim Dale. Vera Lynn counts too, she had UK number ones in the 50s. 

Dare I say it? Cliff? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Dare I say it? Cliff? 

Bennett?

5 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Dare I say it? Cliff? 

2 hours ago, redrumours said:

Bennett?

He's a bit of a rebel. 

Most recent Jerry Lee Lewis story I know of is from 2017, when Vince McMahon decided to call a wrestling show Great Balls of Fire. Because Vince is insane. But didn't check the copyright, thinking it public domain. Because he's out of touch and insane.

However, he was saved by Jerry Lawler, who knew Jerry Lee Lewis, as they share the same lawyer. Well, of course they do.

Jerry Lee Lewis gladly took the money and ran.

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2020 at 10:07, Joey Russ said:

Oh, if we’re including band members too Jimmy Cobb is still alive from Kind of Blue...

That didn’t last too long unfortunately...

Partying with 80 year old Ringo and 76 year old Keith then, 

Three way getting down works best when your mates are a bit younger: https://news.stv.tv/video/102-year-old-man-shows-off-tiktok-dance-moves-at-care-home?top

Video from 2 weeks ago:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Video from 2 weeks ago:

Goodness gracious, get him on next year's DeathList!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Goodness gracious, get him on next year's DeathList!

I agree he has to be considered for a return next year.  If he makes it that far

• Like 2

American rock 'n' roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis, 85, renewed marriage vows with his seventh wife on their ninth anniversary, weeks after getting vaccinated against COVID-19.  Rev. Donnie Swaggart, son of the late televangelist Jimmy Swaggart, who was Lewis' cousin, officiated on Tuesday. The couple held hands in the living room of Lewis Ranch, a tourist attraction where they live part time in Nesbit, Mississippi.

"Killer, you may kiss your bride," Swaggart said, referring to the musician by his nickname.

SC

4 minutes ago, Sir Charms said:

American rock 'n' roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis, 85, renewed marriage vows with his seventh wife on their ninth anniversary, weeks after getting vaccinated against COVID-19.  Rev. Donnie Swaggart, son of the late televangelist Jimmy Swaggart, who was Lewis' cousin, officiated on Tuesday. The couple held hands in the living room of Lewis Ranch, a tourist attraction where they live part time in Nesbit, Mississippi.

"Killer, you may kiss your bride," Swaggart said, referring to the musician by his nickname.

SC

Jimmy Swaggart isn't dead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Jimmy Swaggart isn't dead.

Maybe they meant he was late to the marriage renewal. :D