Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Eddie Stobart

No particular reason to suspect imminent death but I realised recently that 'Steady' Eddie Stobart, as in the guy that founded the company, is 80 this year. It's his name on the trucks though it was his son - always known as Edward - who made the company a massive success, and Edward sold out several years ago to his brother William and William's business partner Andrew Tinkler.

No particular reason to suspect imminent death but I realised recently that 'Steady' Eddie Stobart, as in the guy that founded the company, is 80 this year. It's his name on the trucks though it was his son - always known as Edward - who made the company a massive success, and Edward sold out several years ago to his brother William and William's business partner Andrew Tinkler.

Eddie Stobart (the younger one, not the older one) is dead at 56. One year of life for every hitchhiker his employees rape and murder a month.

Haulage magnate is no longer on the road..

I am stunned that there are Stobart Lorry Spotters.. This may be sadder than the train species..

Urban myth that is apparently true according to the limited Googling I did: "Eddie Spotting" as a hobby was invented by Jools Holland during his Squeeze days.

Eddie spotting is no myth, you only have to read the biography of the firm - written by Hunter Davies - to get a handle on how passionate some of the brood are. For a few years one of my family was employed near the Carlisle depot of the firm on an industrial estate near the M6. She worked within sight of the Stobart's base, which started with one unit but expanded to take in a vast chunk of the estate, and a regular amusement/annoyance around there was the arrival of the public who'd park on the estate roads, snap photos of the trucks and run around with notebooks logging the female names scrawled on their cabs. My relative has moved on in her work, but those spotters are still turning up in Carlisle.

Eddie Stobart r.i.p. They have made a film of his life already Ive seen the trailers!

As Eddie Stobart (the company) suffer extreme financial issues, the slew of press about them in the last month reminds us that company founder Eddie Stobart is still alive and aged 90.

Not to be confused with his son Eddie Stobart, who died in 2011.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

As Eddie Stobart (the company) suffer extreme financial issues, the slew of press about them in the last month reminds us that company founder Eddie Stobart is still alive and aged 90.

Not to be confused with his son Eddie Stobart, who died in 2011.

I hate people that name their sons after themselves 

18 hours ago, dean1991 said:

To be fair - the Stobarts only half did that

Everyone knew Eddie (the founder of the company who basically serviced agricultural machinery and had trucks as part of the business) as Father Eddie and since this is Cumbria we're talking about it being pronounced as "fah-thur" Eddie

His son was always known as Edward and it was Edward who started hiring out the family trucks when they weren't in use and ended up running the biggest independent haulier in the UK.

Both sons - Edward and William - were conspicious under-achievers at school and Edward's success is further to be respected because when he started he was obliged to take most of his business bookings by phone and that was a challenge because he had a stammer.

Owt else yiz wannur knur?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

To be fair - the Stobarts only half did that

Everyone knew Eddie (the founder of the company who basically serviced agricultural machinery and had trucks as part of the business) as Father Eddie and since this is Cumbria we're talking about it being pronounced as "fah-thur" Eddie

His son was always known as Edward and it was Edward who started hiring out the family trucks when they weren't in use and ended up running the biggest independent haulier in the UK.

Both sons - Edward and William - were conspicious under-achievers at school and Edward's success is further to be respected because when he started he was obliged to take most of his business bookings by phone and that was a challenge because he had a stammer.

Owt else yiz wannur knur?

Would I be correct then in assuming that Edward did not get involved in naming the trucks?

I don't think I have ever seen any named 'Ccccccarollllinnne Rrrrrrose' or the like.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, dean1991 said:

A bit harsh, as often there is pressure involved to keep a family name going.  It used to be the norm, everybody did it.  There were even set naming patterns in some regions in which children were named after relatives in a strict order.

Also people were incredibly unimaginative with forenames, and there was only a small pool of names in common use until the end of the Victorian age.

Sorry to be a nerd, but names have always interested me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Says Toast.

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:
3 hours ago, Toast said:

Says Toast.

If you are interested, the story of my name is as follows.

I originally attempted to register as Brown Bread (rhyming slang for dead), but there was already someone registered with that name. 

So I came up with Toast as an alternative, because:

1.  Toast is bread which has become brown.

2.  It is another slang term for death.

3.  It's also a cheerful expression involving drinking   champagne-toast.gif

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I originally attempted to register as Brown Bread (rhyming slang for dead), but there was already someone registered with that name. 

I'd like to claim I put the same effort into the DDP team name Pan Breed (which is the Glaswegian equivalent of brown bread) but tbh it was more a case in late 2011 of going "Aww shite, I have to come up with a name for this team" at the last minute. :lol:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

Cheers. I was just poking fun. I actually like it for its simplicity, but hearing your explanation adds a couple of layers for sure.

Me, I'm just a skinny guy that wears a kilt when I race. And no, I don't go regimental, before someone cracks wise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, msc said:

I'd like to claim I put the same effort into the DDP team name Pan Breed (which is the Glaswegian equivalent of brown bread) but tbh it was more a case in late 2011 of going "Aww shite, I have to come up with a name for this team" at the last minute. :lol:

Aye, frankly it was the "Aww shite" approach several years ago that's left me trading as Carkers Convention on the DDP.

48 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Cheers. I was just poking fun. I actually like it for its simplicity, but hearing your explanation adds a couple of layers for sure.

Me, I'm just a skinny guy that wears a kilt when I race. And no, I don't go regimental, before someone cracks wise.

Actually there is a thread where Toast and many of us already explained our names.  So this a bit of a reboot.  

27 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Actually there is a thread where Toast and many of us already explained our names.  So this a bit of a reboot.  

I'd like to hear your pseudonym's story.  I can't possibly imagine where it may have originated.

59 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:
1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I'd like to hear your pseudonym's story.  I can't possibly imagine where it may have originated.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/2148-members-user-names/?page=12&tab=comments#comment-218883

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/2148-members-user-names/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Toast said:

A bit harsh, as often there is pressure involved to keep a family name going.  It used to be the norm, everybody did it.  There were even set naming patterns in some regions in which children were named after relatives in a strict order.

Also people were incredibly unimaginative with forenames, and there was only a small pool of names in common use until the end of the Victorian age.

I am the youngest of four kids. I was named after my father and both my grandfathers. My middle name was after my cousin who was almost contemporary with my Mum and following whose wedding I was conceived. The said cousin told that story at his Mum's funeral.

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Knowledgeable on names I see! 

I've always understood naming your kids after the grandparents but I've generally just seen it as arrogance to name them after yourself. Kind of like 'I'm so great, I want another duplicate'. I'm sure it ain't always the case but I believe quite often is nowadays. Enough names out there to do something different.