Magere Hein

Ratko Mladic

I always found the Srebreniza massacre by the Serbs in Bosnia as a far worse spectacle than Sept 11th. Four times as many people killed, closer to Devon than New York, also televised and, most critically it could have been stopped if the UN forces on the ground there had been given permission to use their guns instead of wave them around like lollypop sticks.

You're touching a sore point here, from a Dutch POV. Those UN forces on the ground were Dutch forces, who more or less expected UN controlled (US and French, mostly) airforce to bomb them out of trouble, which never happened. The men on the ground didn't dare to shoot and let General Mladic and his Merry Men do their evil unhindered.

I recently saw some footage again of the Dutch commander of Srebrenica, (then) Lieutenant-Colonel Karremans in conversation with General Mladic, in which the former tried to joke himself out of trouble. It made me cringe, again.

[Edit]Here's an image of the happy occasion:

sreb20bpeacekeeper2eu.jpg

regards,

Hein

I would like to start a thread on Ratko Mladic who has been in the news lately. I don't know if there is an already existing thread about him, but I feel he should be considered for next year's list - if he indeed survives that long.

Currently there are an ocean of rumors about the health of Europe's former most wanted man. :)

Allegedly in 2009 he underwent treatment for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Also he has apparently suffered some strokes in the past few years.

And he is a war-criminal on trial - war-criminals sometimes have a habit of dying in the middle of their trials.

Of course this could all be a ruse, like Biggs, Almegrahi, Demjanjuk etc. doing the old "I'm too ill to stand trial/serve sentence" trick.

I would like to start a thread on Ratko Mladic who has been in the news lately. I don't know if there is an already existing thread about him, but I feel he should be considered for next year's list - if he indeed survives that long.

Agreed. I moved the only other post about Mladic here.

I expect his opening will be the Demjanjuk defense, but I woulnd't be surprised if he'd develop the Milošević variation late in the endgame.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Topic consolidated and moved

Agreed. I moved the only other post about Mladic here.

I expect his opening will be the Demjanjuk defense, but I woulnd't be surprised if he'd develop the Milošević variation late in the endgame.

regards,

Hein

Yay...I've made a thread that might not die in the arse :P

As a reminder of what exactly mr Mladic has to account for: here's a site that gives some (not necessarily accurate) background on the Srebrenica massacre.

On 16 April 2002 this fail of the Dutch army led to the resignation of Prime Minister Kok's cabinet, as I see it the honourable thing to do. After that, Dutch politics changed beyond recognition.

regards,

Hein

It seems the first moves of the Demjanjuk Defence are being played. Dutch news site nu.nl reports that his attorney claims that he's in hospital, possibly with a kidney stone.

regards,

Hein

It seems the first moves of the Demjanjuk Defence are being played. Dutch news site nu.nl reports that his attorney claims that he's in hospital, possibly with a kidney stone.

It seems it's working. He didn't appear in court yesterday, due to illness. The tribunal just ordered a full medical checkup in order to "better assess whether and to what extent his health condition could affect the preparation of the upcoming trial". AP has the story,

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Link to AP added.

Judgement coming up soon:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/frail-mladic-awaits-fate-un-cell-033307499.html

Apparently, he's had three strokes in the past years and one half of his body is paralysed.

His lawyers say that he could die "at any moment".

He must have had a heart attack as well, as his lawyers fear "another" one.

Ah, "strokes".

And he didn't even make the one criminal error of Seselj and Karadzic - admitting all their plans in the Death of Yugoslavia documentary series in the 90s.

One of his friends is Dead. Drank poison. Bye. 

(Wonder if Mladic will following suit? )

40 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

One of his friends is Dead. Drank poison. Bye. 

(Wonder if Mladic will following suit? )

Cowardice seems to be a theme here; creating a scene in the court-room to be expelled to deny your victims proper closure, drinking poison to avoid going to gaol. 

• Like 1

Cowardice deathers?

Lol.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Dead on the wires.

Foreign language link

Whoo hoo, a hit for me somewhere.

Assuming it's all legit, you never know with these kind of picks.