Sign in to follow this  
3minutes2midnight

UK Heatwave

Phew, must be a real stinker of a summer heatwave over there.

I see from the BBC weather site it was 26C today and they are forecasting 24C for tomorrow.

I don't know how all those old people aren't falling over like ninepins, seeing how it's such a scorcher an' all. :lol:

Still too hot for the Aussie Cricket Team....

Seems that's one group of old fogies that are wilting in the heat!

Phew, must be a real stinker of a summer heatwave over there.

I see from the BBC weather site it was 26C today and they are forecasting 24C for tomorrow.

I don't know how all those old people aren't falling over like ninepins, seeing how it's such a scorcher an' all. :lol:

Still too hot for the Aussie Cricket Team....

Seems that's one group of old fogies that are wilting in the heat!

Now, now, no call for that. Ever notice how little people talk about the weather where the weather's nice?

Ever notice how little people talk about the weather where the weather's nice?

I wouldn't know - in Scotland, the weather is never nice. :lol:

I do, however, recall a friend coming up from Oxford for the Festival, who remarked that she had never seen so many people with a blueish tinge to their skins, trying to catch what passes as sunshine up here, as she walked around with two jumpers and a coat on.

I wouldn't know - in Scotland, the weather is never nice. :lol:

Ah, come on! That's just a ploy to keep us sassenachs away! Still, bet those damn midges are biting up there around now!

I wouldn't know - in Scotland, the weather is never nice.  :lol:

The weather forecast in today's Dutch 8 o'clock news said that Scotland had 18 C today. The fact that that fact was mentioned at all must have some deep meaning, which unfortunately the weather woman failed to explain.

regards,

Hein

I wouldn't know - in Scotland, the weather is never nice.  :lol:

The weather forecast in today's Dutch 8 o'clock news said that Scotland had 18 C today. The fact that that fact was mentioned at all must have some deep meaning, which unfortunately the weather woman failed to explain.

regards,

Hein

A heatwave in Scotland - and I missed it!!

Oh well, there'll be another in around 5 years. Plenty of time to stock up on sun screen.

Smog warning.

......."During the 2003 heatwave, it was estimated... up to 800 premature deaths may have occurred as a result of the poor air quality."

Aye well, it's rainin' outside after a week of scorching heat and all the aged SE England living Deathlisters are still alive. Maybe Claire Raynor's porky carcass will take a lightning strike or succomb to a golf ball sized hailstone.

Think we're due a result soonish from someone on the list.

Smog warning.

......."During the 2003 heatwave, it was estimated... up to 800 premature deaths may have occurred as a result of the poor air quality."

In August 2003, over 11,000 people died as a result of a heatwave in France.

'Over 11,000' dead in French heat

I never quite get what's being suggested with stories like that. Is that 11,000 people who would otherwise not have died? Is it 11,000 on top of the normal death figures? Presumably many of them were very old and frail, and would have gone anyway, whether there'd been a heatwave or not. So it must be very difficult to quantify how many deaths the heatwave was directly responsible for.

I suppose anyone whose last words were: "this heat! I can't stand it! Aaaaargh!" (expires) would be a "tick." :blink:

I never quite get what's being suggested with stories like that. Is that 11,000 people who would otherwise not have died? Is it 11,000 on top of the normal death figures? Presumably many of them were very old and frail, and would have gone anyway, whether there'd been a heatwave or not. So it must be very difficult to quantify how many deaths the heatwave was directly responsible for.

I suppose anyone whose last words were: "this heat! I can't stand it! Aaaaargh!" (expires) would be a "tick." :blink:

According to French news at the time, it was 12,000 people who otherwise would not have died during the same period, mainly elderly and frail as you say.

In a bid to provide extra funding to prevent this happening again, the Government scrapped one of France's numerous public holidays. The French being the French, most people just took the holiday anyway and it was loosely described as a strike.

Wonder if the current heatwave will see off anyone on the list? The elderly are very vulnerable in hot weather.

Wonder if the current heatwave will see off anyone on the list? The elderly are very vulnerable in hot weather.

Indeed, didn't something absurd like 20,000 extra French people die during the heat wave of 2003? Apparently it was from the collective smell of a nation's worth of sweaty armpits. And interestingly the death toll was higher than the number of French soldiers that have died in action in the country's entire military history.

The members of DeathList should get used to the heat. For the sin of contributing to this site, we're all going to burn in Hell. :lol:

Indeed, didn't something absurd like 20,000 extra French people die during the heat wave of 2003? Apparently it was from the collective smell of a nation's worth of sweaty armpits.

According to New Scientist:

At least 35,000 people died as a result of the record heatwave that scorched Europe in August 2003, says an environmental think tank.

and more relevantly:

France suffered the worst losses, with 14,802 people dying from causes attributable to the blistering heat.

I wonder how they calculate that with such precision, but that's not the point. The article doesn't list sweaty armpits among the causes.

And interestingly the death toll was higher than the number of French soldiers that have died in action in the country's entire military history.

:lol:

You're not a francophile, I gather.

regards,

Hein

Assuming - of course - there is a hell.

It's hot but not scorching on the Cumbrian coast. Global warming gives us the perfect summer climate. Incidentally, Marra the dolphin is back this year although it's not such good news where he's concerned. People encountering him out at sea have reported a few scars on his body as if he's collided with small boats.

Does anyone else get sick of people whose happiness is entirely linked to the thermometer & lack of cloud cover? No problem that people prefer the sun etc., but to suggest that I must be 'loving it' today simply because I get to commute into Central London in a f*cking suit* on trains that don't even have those crappy air vents on any more and windows that only open about 3mm in case someone can climb out for christ's sake, is complete madness.

Perhaps if my job was to sit outside with a beer and do nothing all day then yes, but apparently it isn't. When I'm at work I'd rather get a bit of light drizzle, with nice weather for when it serves some purpose.

Is there anyone I can write to to express my outrage at the haphazard weather arrangements in this country? An Ombudsman? The Daily Mail? My Local MP? The lead singer of Echo & the Bunnymen? 'Dear Mr Echo...'

Probably with the Mail you'd just have to suggest that immigration was causing the heatwave ('they come over here bringing their bloody African weather with 'em, I don't know') and then they'd be right on to it.

*just a normal suit I'm afraid, I have no special 'f*cking suit' that I wear to work.

Yours indignantly,

Outraged of SE London (name witheld)

Is this supposed to be a heatwave? :lol:

FFS, I used to live in North Africa, when it was 50 degrees celsius in the shade on a cloudy day!!

Before moving back to England last winter, I'd lived in the Med for 6 years & today would be treated as a cooler, breezy day.

So whilst Britain lazes & collapses, I've been walking round to work in a suit (no sashette, ie+, I'm afraid :D) without feeling the heat and after work, been for a jog. As I did the latter, I saw lazy fat-arses sprawled everywhere, moaning about the heat.

Go & live in Southern Tunisia for 6 months, then moan to me about heat :D<_<

Yours,

a very unimpressed & not-at-all hot OOO.

TLC, judging by your reference to writing to the lead singer of Echo & the Bunnymen, were you, by any chance, watching Comedy Connections - The Young Ones last night? :D

So whilst Britain lazes & collapses, I've been walking round to work in a suit (no sashette, ie+, I'm afraid :lol:) without feeling the heat and after work, been for a jog. As I did the latter, I saw lazy fat-arses sprawled everywhere, moaning about the heat.

Really OoO? It's so hot here right now that that's all I've been walking round in.

Today the local radio station assured motorists that the city was combatting "the melting roads" by bringing out the gritting machines. That kinda heat can't be good for the infirm and eldery; I reckon it's only a matter of time now before we have our 8th graduate.

I do love the weather right now; any excuse to lie around outside, as scantily clad as possible, is good enough for me.

I do love the weather right now; any excuse to lie around outside, as scantily clad as possible, is good enough for me.

I won't deny it isn't hot, but it comes down to what people are used to. For many people, this is the hottest they know. But me - well, I LAUGH, yes LAUGH at the forecasters warning me to "take care" in the sun. BWA HA HA HA you fools.............

Ahem..

I've just had a look at me avatar & realised I am turning into General Gordon. You'd never catch him wearing shorts or, indeed, anything less than full regalia even in the stifling heat of the Sudan fighting the fuzzy-wuzzys. Also, if he was ever wearing white, somehow it never got dusty or sand over it. A true Briton abroad.

Not that it did him much good when they lopped his head off, but at least he didn't spill blood on his sashette.

I don't know about an 8th DL candidate, but I'd be amazed if the hot weather doesn't claim a number of the remaining WWI vets.

Today the local radio station assured motorists that the city was combatting "the melting roads" by bringing out the gritting machines. That kinda heat can't be good for the infirm and eldery; I reckon it's only a matter of time now before we have our 8th graduate.

Today I watched the fire brigade spraying several bridges in town. They wouldn't open, or even worse close, due to heat expansion. The only problem I have with this weather is at night, when I try to sleep.

regards,

Hein

I used to live in North Africa, when it was 50 degrees celsius in the shade on a cloudy day!!

Did you have to school uphill both ways with no shoes too? :lol:

Did you have to school uphill both ways with no shoes too? :lol:

Nah, it was at the end of the (flat) road :D

To be fair, I didn't even see proper sunshine for the first 20 years of my life.

FYI it's been so hot in Cumbria the gritters have been spraying rock dust on the melting tar, but with the cool Maryport breezes comin' in off the Solway it's still been bearable to sit outside and eat a portion of fish and chips of an evening.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

An interesting situation occured today at work. Whilst myself and colleagues were slaving away in the factory, the internal temperature was waaay over 100 (old money). So, we ask the boss when we saw him what Health and Safety says is maximum working temperature? Answer: no such thing. There is however a minimum working temperature that if reached ends your working day. This temperature was in danger of being reached in said bosses office whilst his 4 (four) air conditioners worked their buns off! I'm surprised he hadn't reached for his hat and gloves!

DWB :lol: