Sign in to follow this  
3minutes2midnight

UK Heatwave

There is however a minimum working temperature that if reached ends your working day....

Reminds of severe winter weather we had a few years ago, the outside temperatures reached -20, our office was way below the minimum working temperature, we phoned Health and Safety for advice only to be told that because it was 'freak' weather the minimum w.t. didn't apply and we would have to stay at work :lol:

It is also interesting to see the correlation between temperature height and amount of questions people feel only the boss can answer. Usually timing their entry into his office to coincide with him taking a lengthy phone call.

DWB :lol:

Assuming - of course - there is a hell.

Ever been to Coker Creek? A hellish little spot in Tennessee......not even Devil's Food Cake is allowed there it's so dreadful :lol:

Bruno man, I appreciate as an American your reference is to a 'back of beyond' sort of place. But the closest English relations to the place you describe may well be less than an hour's drive from Maryport. I mean, we have schools, a bus route and a deep swimming pool but some isolated villages in West Cumbria barely boast a gene pool!

At the moment in Dallas (8:46pm) it is 99 degrees (37c) with a heat index of 102 (39c). There is a south wind blowing at 14mph bringing massive amounts of humidity up from the Gulf of Mexico. It topped out at around 105 (41c) today with heat indexes over 112 (44c).

I am reminded of the record breaking summer of 1980 when we had something like 65 days over 100 (38c). I had the tan from hell that year, which was damn handy as I was 15 and looked really good in the black bikini I had.

Should be 104 (40c) tomorrow, 106 (41c) on Friday and then we are getting a cold front that will drop temps into the mid 90s for a couple of days - might even rain. We're in a severe drought, so it would be nice to see some rain. The lakes are so low there are trees sticking out of them. Dead ones, of course. :lol:

A little poetry from an unknown author:

Hell In Texas

THE DEVIL, we're told, in hell was chained,

And a thousand years he there remained,

And he never complained, nor did he groan,

But determined to start a hell of his own

Where he could torment the souls of men

Without being chained to a prison pen.

So he asked the Lord if He had on hand

Anything left when He made the land.

The Lord said, 'Yes, I had plenty on hand,

But I left it down on the Rio Grande

The fact is, old boy, the stuff is so poor,

I don't think you could use it in hell any more."

But the devil went down to look at the truck,

And said if it came as a gift, he was stuck;

For after examining it careful and well

He concluded the place was too dry for hell.

So in order to get it off His hands

God promised the devil to water the lands.

For he had some water, or rather some dregs,

A regular cathartic that smelt like bad eggs.

Hence the deal was closed and the deed was given,

And the Lord went back to His place in Heaven.

And the devil said, 'I have all that is needed

To make a good hell," and thus he succeeded.

He began to put thorns on all the trees,

And he mixed the sand with millions of fleas,

He scattered tarantulas along all the roads,

Put thorns on the cacti and horns on the toads;

He lengthened the horns of the Texas steers

And put an addition on jack rabbits' ears.

He put little devils in the bronco steed

And poisoned the feet of the centipede.

The rattlesnake bites you, the scorpion stings,

The mosquito delights you by buzzing his wings.

The sand burrs prevail, so do the ants,

And those that sit down need half soles on their pants.

The devil then said that throughout the land

He'd manage to keep up the devil's own brand,

And all would be mavericks unless they bore

The marks of scratches and bites by the score.

The heat in the summer is a hundred and ten,

Too hot for the devil and too hot for men.

The wild boar roams through the black chaparral,

It's a hell of a place be has for a hell;

The red pepper grows by the bank of the brook,

The Mexicans use it in all that they cook.

Just dine with one and then you will shout,

"I've a hell on the inside as well as without."

They're forecasting snow to sea level here tomorrow, which is handy for those at the beach I suppose...

We only seem to be able to cope with grey weather in the UK. If it turns yellow or white everything grinds to a halt.

I don't understand why people head to the beach when it gets hot & then just sit on the sand. Hardly anyone seems to go in the sea to cool off.

Is this supposed to be a heatwave? :D

FFS, I used to live in North Africa, when it was 50 degrees celsius in the shade on a cloudy day!!

Go & live in Southern Tunisia for 6 months, then moan to me about heat :D<_<

I can't handle the heat here, so I think I'll pass up your exciting invitation to sweat myself to death in considerably less than 6 months. ;)

From the other end of the thermometer, I'll wear shorts & t-shirt down to about 0 degrees (depending on wind-shill factor) and be happy; my problem is that people who get cold can just wear extra stuff. I can't stop myself sweating like a pig once it gets to about 25 C and I have to wear a suit. To be fair my problem is partly caused by a medical condition (side effect of diabetes that's really come to life over the last few years) but people just look at me as if I don't wash or am somehow intrinsically unable to master basic hygiene practices because of the sweating. Possibly a fair enough reaction, it's that bad my work shirt that goes in the laundry basket on a Monday can still be wringing wet when I go to wash it the following weekend; thought you'd like to know.

Thank god this isn't a dating forum, my profile doesn't scream 'Alpha Male' does it? :D

TLC, judging by your reference to writing to the lead singer of Echo & the Bunnymen, were you, by any chance, watching Comedy Connections - The Young Ones last night? :D

Spot on regarding the young ones OoO, but complete coincidence that I used it yesterday. I just thought of it as I was typing, I've not seen that episode for about 10 years. :P

Thank god this isn't a dating forum

It isn't? I wish someone had told me sooner. What a f**ing waste of my time... 400+ posts and I'm not even going to get laid? I thought I'd been grooming CP beautifully. :D

Indeed, didn't something absurd like 20,000 extra French people die during the heat wave of 2003? Apparently it was from the collective smell of a nation's worth of sweaty armpits. And interestingly the death toll was higher than the number of French soldiers that have died in action in the country's entire military history.

Cowboy Ronnie, you old 'francophile' you :D . I can't comment on the relative merits of one country's body odour over another, but your amusing quip about the number of dead soldiers is not strictly true. In fact it is completely inaccurate. If, as a sample, we take the two major conflicts of the last 100 years, to compare the relative success at getting killed of the French, U.K. and U.S.A armies:-

During the First World War there were the following military fatalities,

France: 1.3 million

U.S.A: 126,000

G.B. and Empire: 908,000

During the Second World War there were the following military fatalities,

France: 212,000

U.S.A: 407,000

U.K: 382,000

(These figures seem to vary but are broadly similar from various sources)

So I suppose you can argue that the French had/have an absolutely crap army, but they are very good at getting killed. The U.S.A. however are crap at getting killed, except in films when they are fantastic. Although they are quiet good at killing other Americans if my distant memory of American Civil War history is correct.

As Edwin once said, 'War! Huh - yeah, what is it good for?' :D

Thank god this isn't a dating forum

It isn't? I wish someone had told me sooner. What a f**ing waste of my time... 400+ posts and I'm not even going to get laid? I thought I'd been grooming CP beautifully. :D

I was trying to style out the fact that I've got nowhere in 300+ posts by pretending to be using this forum for other purposes.

Are you grooming CP for personal use, or for the open market? If for the market, does that make you a feeder or is that something else entirely?

A friend asked me to ask, I nearly forgot to add that important disclaimer.

Are you grooming CP for personal use, or for the open market? If for the market, does that make you a feeder or is that something else entirely?

No way. This stud's a show horse! :D

What is SC even complaining about anymore? Most days, he posts more than me... I even took a whole week off back in June! :D

So I suppose you can argue that the French had/have an absolutely crap army, but they are very good at getting killed. The U.S.A. however are crap at getting killed, except in films when they are fantastic. Although they are quiet good at killing other Americans if my distant memory of American Civil War history is correct.

As Edwin once said, 'War! Huh - yeah, what is it good for?' :D

We are quite good at killing each other outside of a civil war as well.

The weather here is hotter than normal which basically means that we have had our first summer ever. :D

It hasn't rained for almost four days now, that must be another record.

Fraserburgh holds/did hold a weather record once. For a time in the 1980s we had the strongest gust of wind ever recorded in Britain (just one gust mind).

So basically, the weather here is just right.

Fraserburgh holds/did hold a weather record once. For a time in the 1980s we had the strongest gust of wind ever recorded in Britain (just one gust mind).

Ah yes, that was after the inaugural Fraserburgh International Sprout Eating Contest if I remember correctly......

Ah yes, that was after the inaugural Fraserburgh International Sprout Eating Contest if I remember correctly......

Well actually it was just after the inaugural Fraserburgh International Cabbage Throwers Contest.

After the wind came, we burned the last Provost at the stake because we felt that or cabbage throwing had angered the Gods. He had to be sacrificed....

Bloody hell, what's going on? Just got in after a week away and the heat is unbearable, can't sleep, no airconditioning and the Godettes have nicked all the fans. This really is deadly weather.

The heatwave has killed 64 people in France.

I'm one of those lucky buggers who has spent time abroad in real heat. I quite like the British "heatwave", compared to Kiribati, it's lovely and fresh.

I also remember been in Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea, the temperature was 110 degrees and the humidity was so high that the puddles weren't evaporating. That was too much, I had to take solace in alchohol during the majority of my time there :banghead:

I'm one of those lucky buggers who has spent time abroad in real heat. I quite like the British "heatwave", compared to Kiribati, it's lovely and fresh.

I also remember been in Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea, the temperature was 110 degrees and the humidity was so high that the puddles weren't evaporating. That was too much, I had to take solace in alchohol during the majority of my time there :banghead:

How'd you end up in Kiribati DDT? Similarly to Moresby, in Lae on PNG's north coast it was a bit tropical as well. We drank copious amounts of Gin and Tonic, to keep the mosquitoes away of course.

How'd you end up in Kiribati DDT? Similarly to Moresby, in Lae on PNG's north coast it was a bit tropical as well. We drank copious amounts of Gin and Tonic, to keep the mosquitoes away of course.

Of course. Unfortunately, when I was in Indonesia many years ago I could only afford beer. I now know empirically that that works too.

regards,

Hein

I also remember been in Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea, the temperature was 110 degrees and the humidity was so high that the puddles weren't evaporating. That was too much, I had to take solace in alchohol during the majority of my time there :referee:

I was there for a couple of years in my mid twenties - my MA thesis was "Drug and Alcohol Use in Micronesia and Polynesia." I also went to The Marshall Islands, Samoa, Guam and French Polynesia. I enthusiastically investigated the subject matter. Many practical experiments were carried out. :banghead:

I was there for a couple of years in my mid twenties - my MA thesis was "Drug and Alcohol Use in Micronesia and Polynesia." I also went to The Marshall Islands, Samoa, Guam and French Polynesia. I enthusiastically investigated the subject matter. Many practical experiments were carried out. :banghead:

Did you get a research grant for that? I applied for one for participating observation of alcoholism among students in my home town. It was denied.

regards,

Hein

I was there for a couple of years in my mid twenties - my MA thesis was "Drug and Alcohol Use in Micronesia and Polynesia." I also went to The Marshall Islands, Samoa, Guam and French Polynesia. I enthusiastically investigated the subject matter. Many practical experiments were carried out. :)

Did you get a research grant for that? I applied for one for participating observation of alcoholism among students in my home town. It was denied.

regards,

Hein

Can a man observe what he does himself? Apparently not. ;)