Sign in to follow this  
3minutes2midnight

UK Heatwave

Are there any deathlist stalwarts out there who can tell us if, historically, there is a pickup in the strike-rate during the northern hemisphere summer. Or are our candidates lingering in airconditioned comfort.

In august of last year there were 3 dead in 5 days.

Henri Cartier-Bresson Red Adair and Fay Wray.

As well for this years summer i can see quite a few canidates

without there air conditioning running. ;)

Guest Guest
For this years summer i can see quite a few canidates

without there air conditioning running.  ;)

One would, without wishing to will ill upon the list's selectees, bloody well hope so as this years list is dying on it's feet (so to speak).

DL was doing so well - 5 dead before the end of April. What's the longest ever DL drought?

DL was doing so well - 5 dead before the end of April. What's the longest ever DL drought?

Its a tie between 1987 and 1996 they both had there last death in june.

I similar discussion took place last year:

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=114

Some "longest without a death" figures appear further down that thread if you are interested.

DWB ;)

Thanks. Hope we don't have to wait 241 days this time.

Of course, this is where experienced DL'ers would expect me to point out that it's winter here in southern climes.

So I won't....

But it is. (damn) :D

Hottest burst of the year so far predicted for the weekend and next week. A few of the current list live in SE England. There's an outside chance of some action from Patrick Moore, Edward Heath, Michael Foot, Claire Raynor.......

There's an outside chance of some action from Patrick Moore, Edward Heath, Michael Foot, Claire Raynor.......

:referee:

It's the stuff of nightmares.

Britain set for a scorching weekend

Hopefully this weather will break the dry spell that we have been experiencing with this year’s deathlist. :referee:

A funeral director friend of mine always said that January / February was his busiest time. 'Harvest time' I think was his mot juste.

I do some work as an obits correspondent - no really - I'm tellin' ya, heatwaves hit the elderly hard. Especially in the UK where people are prone to dropping dead from shock if it fails to rain for three days.

I've noticed that elderly people wear far too many layers of clothing in the heat. Is there a medical explanation for this? Does something happen as you get older that means your body doesn't regulate temperature very well?

Let's hope they forget to turn the a\c on.

:referee: I can only assume you've never been to England.

:rip: Obviously. Hehe. A/C in the UK. Teats on a boar. Hehe.

I've noticed that elderly people wear far too many layers of clothing in the heat. Is there a medical explanation for this? Does something happen as you get older that means your body doesn't regulate temperature very well?

The blood gets thinner as one gets older. Causes a tendency to be chilly.

Apparently it has something to do with shoplifting.

Phew, must be a real stinker of a summer heatwave over there.

I see from the BBC weather site it was 26C today and they are forecasting 24C for tomorrow.

I don't know how all those old people aren't falling over like ninepins, seeing how it's such a scorcher an' all. :lol:

I see from the BBC weather site it was 26C today and they are forecasting 24C for tomorrow.

I don't know how all those old people aren't falling over like ninepins, seeing how it's such a scorcher an' all. :lol:

Do I detect a whiff of sarcasm? :lol:

I think you should bear in mind that we brits aren't acclimatised to heat (despite it getting hot every year) and we tend to wilt in anything over 20C.

Also it was 32C in London yesterday