The Yeti

Irate Visitors Rage Here, If You Must.

15 minutes ago, arghton said:

I am not exactly enraged but I couldn't find a good thread for asking this:

Is there a list anywhere of alive people (maybe also smaller groups of people) who already have threads, preferably made before 2020? It would be helpful to know all the people who have one so that when they one day die, the death is reported in that thread and not somewhere else.

If there isn't, can I make a list of them?

Basically, you couldn't be bothered to find the 'Ask a Deathlister' thread.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, arghton said:

I am not exactly enraged but I couldn't find a good thread for asking this:

Is there a list anywhere of alive people (maybe also smaller groups of people) who already have threads, preferably made before 2020? It would be helpful to know all the people who have one so that when they one day die, the death is reported in that thread and not somewhere else.

There's a search function that's quite handy - particularly if you put in the full name of a fairly obscure person (in which case it might only throw up one or two threads and will make the last mention of that person easy to find)

They aren't all mentioned anywhere though

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Basically, you couldn't be bothered to find the 'Ask a Deathlister' thread.

Sorry, didn't know that thread exists

1 hour ago, arghton said:

4 minutes ago, arghton said:

They aren't all mentioned anywhere though

So set up a thread.

Call it Death List Index

Make a list of every single celebrity thread on here from the beginning of time.

Make sure it is alphabetical by surname and links to the thread.

Happy days.

(Alternatively just post a death wherever you fancy - ignore the moany fucks who complain and whilst complaining they always post a link to where you should have posted it and that would save you all this work :D - open a bottle of wine and enjoy the evening you wouldn't have had if you had been doing that stupid index thing that you think would be useful).

Somebody else suggested doing this a little while ago.  I remember the same arguments.

@arghton, I think everyone on the Forum has a certain degree of anxiety with the search function given that it's not the best but I've learnt how to use it better in the last few years.

1) If you don't feed enough characters into it, sometimes it won't return any results.

2) If you type in something like Kenneth Kaunda, it may throw up 200 results of posts where ONLY the word "Kenneth" appears, therefore it's important to put searches with multiple words in quotation marks ("Kenneth Kaunda").

3) In your searches, also try and account for spelling mistakes/alternative spellings which may have been used in posts instead. Sometimes less is more so a search for Kaunda would bring up relevant posts where users only used his surname as opposed to his full name. Obviously helps when there's a unique sounding surname but...

4) In the case of an individual where both the names are more common e.g. Johnny Johnson, then sometimes it helps by searching threads where you think they would've likely been discussed already. So e.g. go to the The Few/Battle of Britain thread then search "Johnson".

It's by no means a perfect search function, it's actually quite flimsy, but if you just vary the ways in which you search then you'll quickly be able to work out who has threads vs. who doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The search function isn't helped by people just posting links or embedded Twitter posts and the like, without actually mentioning the person's name in the body of the post.  Happens a lot.

• Like 1

Now, can we get a mobile app too? It would be much more comfortable for myself to use the app instead of the website. Now I have to urgently create my Deadpool teams, but It's difficult to find news about celebrity illnesses.

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2021 at 17:41, Etushispushingupdaisies said:

Now, can we get a mobile app too? It would be much more comfortable for myself to use the app instead of the website. Now I have to urgently create my Deadpool teams, but It's difficult to find news about celebrity illnesses.

No.  Apparently the other 95% of the DL group sit at their laptops or on work computes, otherwise this would have been addressed a couple years ago.

Didn’t really know where else to put this so this thread is as good as any. My friend and I do a bracket for a deathlist every year. He person takes 25 in the main list and the person with the most correct answers wins at the end of the year. We are looking to do a prize for the winner. Any fun ideas?

8 hours ago, War-Lord said:

Didn’t really know where else to put this so this thread is as good as any. My friend and I do a bracket for a deathlist every year. He person takes 25 in the main list and the person with the most correct answers wins at the end of the year. We are looking to do a prize for the winner. Any fun ideas?

The deadpools here that have a prize mostly give a donation to a charity of the winner's choice.

1 hour ago, N. Fritz said:

Lawl. The MSM have a fucking cheek calling us “sick” and “vile”. Their journos definitely have the Forum open in a spare tab on their browser as we often spot a lot of deaths from social media before them! Then they’re the ones who copy our research, take credit for it and get paid for it. Brass necks! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, N. Fritz said:

Other than two goes at calling us "vile" they're actually praising the accuracy and clear about the rules of the top 50 - tbh I'd say they're doing us a favour re generating some traffic.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Other than two goes at calling us "vile" they're actually praising the accuracy and clear about the rules of the top 50 - tbh I'd say they're doing us a favour re generating some traffic.

Well yeah, that's a good point.

Mind you, and I know I am as common as muck,  I think, maybe, I would prefer The Times doing the generating rather than a tabloid that is so shit it makes The Sun look like primary reading material for all members of MENSA.

Oh my, I am getting snobby in my old age.:D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well yeah, that's a good point.

Mind you, and I know I am as common as muck,  I think, maybe, I would prefer The Times doing the generating rather than a tabloid that is so shit it makes The Sun look like primary reading material for all members of MENSA.

Oh my, I am getting snobby in my old age.:D

Not at all, but you may have missed the point that the Star is so low-brow it's fairly popular in some high-brow places on the back of it's entertainment value (summat Star journalists are well aware of). I'll confess to buying the shape shifting lizards edition yesterday just to see how they wriggled out of the committment on the headline (skilfully as it goes - by quoting an opinion poll and making it clear what percentage of younger people were more likely persuaded by that shite and how the internet was impacting people's beliefs in some quarters). To be fair, other than the shit wages writing for the Star would be great - read some interesting stuff, knock out about as many words as a long post here, and go home well before anyone on a proper paper was allowed to check out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not at all, but you may have missed the point that the Star is so low-brow it's fairly popular in some high-brow places on the back of it's entertainment value (summat Star journalists are well aware of). I'll confess to buying the shape shifting lizards edition yesterday just to see how they wriggled out of the committment on the headline (skilfully as it goes - by quoting an opinion poll and making it clear what percentage of younger people were more likely persuaded by that shite and how the internet was impacting people's beliefs in some quarters). To be fair, other than the shit wages writing for the Star would be great - read some interesting stuff, knock out about as many words as a long post here, and go home well before anyone on a proper paper was allowed to check out.

Also The Star probably has a little more freedom in this respect a broadsheet might receive complaints from more conservative readers that they were giving us the oxygen of publicity whereas they expect no better from The Star. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Also The Star probably has a little more freedom in this respect a broadsheet might receive complaints from more conservative readers that they were giving us the oxygen of publicity whereas they expect no better from The Star. 

A fair point - and in today's edition  whilst others speculate on whatever future may be left for Prince Andrew, the Star considers whether astronauts will avail themselves of an obvious source of protein if it all goes to shit  on Mars: 

_122573632_star-nc.png

• Like 1

I’m no visitor, but Admins do please take note the most recent two ridiculous ‘added’ threads were posted by two newbies with less than 4 weeks membership combined. 

How many times does this need to occur before you adopt my suggested ‘no posting a thread for 6 months’ rule for new members?  We’re about as sensible as America and school shootings ‘how many more have to happen before we DO something about it!?’  And yes I just compared my having to endure the barrage of asinine newbie threads to dead school children….and I won’t say which sickens me more when I see it.

SirC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m no visitor, but Admins do please take note the most recent two ridiculous ‘added’ threads were posted by two newbies with less than 4 weeks membership combined. 

How many times does this need to occur before you adopt my suggested ‘no posting a thread for 6 months’ rule for new members?  We’re about as sensible as America and school shootings ‘how many more have to happen before we DO something about it!?’  And yes I just compared my having to endure the barrage of asinine newbie threads to dead school children….and I won’t say which sickens me more when I see it.

SirC

Charming.

We won't be introducing your proposed rule.  You will either need to accept that, or, if you cannot, find another website to frequent.

In any case, please ease up on the whining and personal abuse - it really is a very unedifying spectacle from a grown man.

DDT

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

As an addendum, I don't think that latest thread recipient is deserving of one at all and in usual circumstances I'd merge it, but if comparing its existence to school shootings is how you're going to go about it, then frankly it fucking stays.

• Like 7

Made a post stating that Sybil Fawlty turned 90 on her thread (hadnt been stated in the thread beforehand) yet admin removed it. Didnt even say anything offensive.

Thank you Admin, very cool!

• Like 1