Sign in to follow this  
football_fan

Deep Purple

chris curtis (ex searchers, roundabout and the catalyst for deep purple) is still around as far as i know, but has been a bit iffy for a long while.

Chris Curtis died last year. Here is the link.

Hell, I'd no idea he was still alive, I mean he isn't now, obviously, but you get my drift.

On a totally trivial note we should also mark this death for the rock fans. Sir Malcolm conducted the orchestra for the excrable but historic performance known and hated as 'Concerto for Group and Orchestra.' The Deep Purple album that comes between the heavy psych period that ended with their third album and just before the heavy blast of 'Deep Purple in Rock.' All told, if he kept his sanity for 36 years after close personal involvement in that abomination the man is to be respected.

Re the 'any one' pick.

Would any one member of Deep Purple be acceptable? 12 musicians in total have been in that band, one - Tommy Bolin - is long dead. None of the others are looking like dying so far as I can see but they're in late middle age.

This would mean any one from Don Airey, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Ian Paice, Roger Morse (the current band)

plus

Jon Lord, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Ritchie Blackmore, Rod Evans and Nick Semper

Re the 'any one' pick.

Would any one member of Deep Purple be acceptable? 12 musicians in total have been in that band, one - Tommy Bolin - is long dead. None of the others are looking like dying so far as I can see but they're in late middle age.

This would mean any one from Don Airey, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Ian Paice, Roger Morse (the current band)

plus

Jon Lord, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, Ritchie Blackmore, Rod Evans and Nick Semper

The "any one" nomination has, over the years, taken on a largely ceremonial function for the DL, much like the Royal Family. It wouldn't be permitted for any actual choices as it of course is a total cheat, trying to encapsulate numerous people with just one pick. Things have moved on since the heady days of 1986 when the first DL contained the now timeless "any one Beatle" pick. MPFC is clearly into the spirit of things with his Deep Purple suggestion.

And is it just me, or does English rock music have a disproportionately high number of guys called "Roger"?

Frontman for 80s hair metallers Poison, best known for lighters-in-the-air power ballad "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Michaels himself also known to the hip young kids of today for his "Rock of Love" reality TV dating show, in which he sleeps with strippers and that's it.

Ahhhh. So its only you who's heard of him. I'm a Deep Purple sort of guy. Any news on ian gillan?

Rod Edwards, original lead singer of Deep Purple, seems to have vanished completely. Rumours abound that he's either working as a paramedic in Essex, or singing under an assumed name in California.

Rod Edwards, original lead singer of Deep Purple, seems to have vanished completely. Rumours abound that he's either working as a paramedic in Essex, or singing under an assumed name in California.

He once got sued for taking a line up on the road in the USA under the name of Deep Purple, during Purple's inactive period.

Shame we never got to experience "David Van Day's Deep Purple" then, really.

Tony Edwards

Deep Purple's former manager has died aged 78. He is credited with coming up with their name, an improvement on the original (and less than magic) "Roundabout".

Jon Lord, keyboardist and founding member of Deep Purple, has announced he is suffering from cancer.

Jon Lord, keyboardist and founding member of Deep Purple, has announced he is suffering from cancer.

Probably best posted in the ideas and possibilities thread?

I'm trying to post a bit less in that thread. I was worried people might think I was a wierdo. :closedeyes:

I'm trying to post a bit less in that thread. I was worried people might think I was a wierdo. :closedeyes:

Maybe it should be in the Dead Prog Stars thread...

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Fear not, I have a cunning plan...

Reason for edit: Fear not, I have a cunning plan...

One that cannot fail?

regards,

Hein

Lord is the oldest former Purple alive, and he left the band a while ago. Incidentally, I noticed I'd missed Joe Lynn Turner from the list of former members still breathing.

The mystery cancer he was suffering from was pancreatic. He's currently undergoing treatment and "hopes to be back with the band" by the end of the year. So he's a goner.

I saw them in December with Don Airey and a damn good show they were too. None of the current line up appeared anywhere near death's door.

Good Lord! Jon scheduled to play live with the Hagen Philharmonic in Germany.

For the concert on July 6, and subject to the continued progress of his recovery from cancer, Jon will play Hammond organ on his Durham Concerto and piano on a further selection of his solo pieces, including Lick My Love Pump, mixed with works by other composers connected to Jon and his music
For the concert on July 6, and subject to the continued progress of his recovery from cancer, Jon will play Hammond organ on his Durham Concerto and piano on a further selection of his solo pieces mixed with works by other composers connected to Jon and his music

For the concert on July 6, and subject to the continued progress of his recovery from cancer, Jon will play Hammond organ on his Durham Concerto and piano on a further selection of his solo pieces, including Lick My Love Pump, mixed with works by other composers connected to Jon and his music
For the concert on July 6, and subject to the continued progress of his recovery from cancer, Jon will play Hammond organ on his Durham Concerto and piano on a further selection of his solo pieces mixed with works by other composers connected to Jon and his music

It's off. Anyone get the feeling I have a vested interest in Mr Lord's predicament?

Smoke obscuring the water.

It's off. Anyone get the feeling I have a vested interest in Mr Lord's predicament?

Not quite first to post the death, but first in the most apt thread.

Not quite first to post the death, but first in the most apt thread.

Hopefully this shakes DDT out of his vacation.