The Yeti

The Welsh

I don't think anyone's mentioned this man before - Cledwyn Jones, the last of the vocal trio Triawd y Coleg with Robin Williams (d. 2003) and Meredydd Evans (b. 1919, d. 2015) seems to be still knocking around. Atleast, he was in 2019. Triawd y Coleg became very famous in Wales through BBC Radio in the 1940s. Jones was born in 1923 and might obit in Welsh-language media - which probably isn't much use to most deadpools I suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned this man before - Cledwyn Jones, the last of the vocal trio Triawd y Coleg with Robin Williams (d. 2003) and Meredydd Evans (b. 1919, d. 2015) seems to be still knocking around. Atleast, he was in 2019. Triawd y Coleg became very famous in Wales through BBC Radio in the 1940s. Jones was born in 1923 and might obit in Welsh-language media - which probably isn't much use to most deadpools I suppose.

Might it be this Cledwyn Jones who died in August 2020?

Well that link didn’t work. Cledwyn Dobson Jones, d. 11 August 2020; probate granted 6 September 2021.

Who knows, Jones isn’t exactly unusual.

Also there is a Cledwyn Jones d. 21 October 2021; probate granted 15 March 2022.

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Might it be this Cledwyn Jones who died in August 2020?

Well that link didn’t work. Cledwyn Dobson Jones, d. 11 August 2020; probate granted 6 September 2021.

Who knows, Jones isn’t exactly unusual.

The GRO Index is down at the moment, otherwise I would check.

I highly doubt it. They seem to be a prominent trio in Wales, and the two other members got QOs.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2022 at 13:49, YoungWillz said:

Also there is a Cledwyn Jones d. 21 October 2021; probate granted 15 March 2022.

The GRO Index is back up.

These individuals were born in the 1930s, so not him.

15 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Oh bugger!

Cledwyn Jones died in October aged 99 and I missed it and put him on my DDP list. Tamping!

As I expected, he got a Welsh-language BBC Cymru obit but nothing in English. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/63326738

What are the rules with that?

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

What are the rules with that?

I mentioned it on the DDP thread but it didn't get much discussion. I think it's a big no because there's a rule that states obits must be in written English. Understandable but a bit frustrating in a so-near-but-so-far way, cos there are obituaries that don't count despite being published by the BBC on the BBC News website and written in an official language of the UK. 

9 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I mentioned it on the DDP thread but it didn't get much discussion. I think it's a big no because there's a rule that states obits must be in written English. Understandable but a bit frustrating in a so-near-but-so-far way, cos there are obituaries that don't count despite being published by the BBC on the BBC News website and written in an official language of the UK

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

’Post of the Year’ candidate.  Judges?

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

’Post of the Year’ candidate.  Judges?

It is in Wales.

• Like 2

Musician and composer Mark Thomas has reportedly died: 

Nominated for a prime time Emmy for music for the series Episodes.

Played violin on notable films such as A View To A Kill, Clockwise, Highlander and Willow. Composed the theme music for Shaun The Sheep - Farmageddon. Extensive music composer in TV and film, what caught my eye were The Magic Roundabout: The Movie, Dalziel And Pascoe, the Shaun The Sheep TV series and Benidorm.

• Like 6

R Alun Evans, BBC Wales reporter and the first to commentate on a Wales football match in the Welsh language, has died aged 86. He later became head of BBC broadcasting in Wales and also had longstanding association with Eisteddfod.

(See also commentators).

• Like 2

On 19/07/2023 at 10:13, YoungWillz said:

Musician and composer Mark Thomas has reportedly died: 

Nominated for a prime time Emmy for music for the series Episodes.

Played violin on notable films such as A View To A Kill, Clockwise, Highlander and Willow. Composed the theme music for Shaun The Sheep - Farmageddon. Extensive music composer in TV and film, what caught my eye were The Magic Roundabout: The Movie, Dalziel And Pascoe, the Shaun The Sheep TV series and Benidorm.

Do you live in Croydon or Pudsey?

• Like 1