Arnold

Nigel Lawson

40 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Nigel Lawson just appeared on Newsnight.I was shocked by his appearance.He was frail, dishevilled, with a beard and long hair.He looked a bit like a derelict in fact ! He was rambling and incoherent at times,Something is seriously wrong with him by the look of things.Watch this space ! 

Maybe a punt pick for the list next year then.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Nigel Lawson just appeared on Newsnight.I was shocked by his appearance.He was frail, dishevilled, with a beard and long hair.He looked a bit like a derelict in fact ! He was rambling and incoherent at times,Something is seriously wrong with him by the look of things.Watch this space ! 

Decide for yourself here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tweet247.net/united%20kingdom/lord%2blawson/amp

Looks quite good for 88, IMHO. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Decide for yourself here. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tweet247.net/united%20kingdom/lord%2blawson/amp

Looks quite good for 88, IMHO. 

His voice is a lot stronger than it was for the Thatcher stuff last year when he looked like a ghost. Mind you, he's either dyed his hair since then or that's a far more flattering camera shot. Ulitzer - whose "in" with politicos is far better than mine - actually met Lawson last year and said he was very frail but still sharp. His health does appear to fluctuate quite a lot in the last decade, and I know when he was ill in 2011-12 (when he got on the DL) there were folk writing him off entirely but he bounced back then.

Mind you, we're not short of apparently ailing big figures. Douglas Hurd is meant to have been ill for years, Winnie Ewing is very unwell (although as she's out of the public eye entirely now, its hard to know how far gone she is), and there's been Labour radio silence around updates on John Prescott. Which hopefully means he's recuperating in private and not that he's fucked. Add Dennis Skinner and Norman Fowler and someone somewhere is well on their way to a DDP theme team!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Met him 2 years ago. He was very frail and slow on his feet. Frailty does not mean he’s about to peg it though.

9 hours ago, msc said:

His voice is a lot stronger than it was for the Thatcher stuff last year when he looked like a ghost. Mind you, he's either dyed his hair since then or that's a far more flattering camera shot. Ulitzer - whose "in" with politicos is far better than mine - actually met Lawson last year and said he was very frail but still sharp. His health does appear to fluctuate quite a lot in the last decade, and I know when he was ill in 2011-12 (when he got on the DL) there were folk writing him off entirely but he bounced back then.

Mind you, we're not short of apparently ailing big figures. Douglas Hurd is meant to have been ill for years, Winnie Ewing is very unwell (although as she's out of the public eye entirely now, its hard to know how far gone she is), and there's been Labour radio silence around updates on John Prescott. Which hopefully means he's recuperating in private and not that he's fucked. Add Dennis Skinner and Norman Fowler and someone somewhere is well on their way to a DDP theme team!

A few other Thatcher era figures like Bernard Ingham, Kenneth Baker, Norman Tebbit, Tom King and Michael Heseltine who are increasingly in poor health as well. 

Is Heseltine really that bad ? Seems to be relatively ok for a man in his late 80's when I've seen him recently on the TV

On 24/07/2020 at 12:09, msc said:

Well enough to go to the Lords to have lunch with Angela Rayner.

• Like 1

Just been listening to a  weekly political podcast where journalist Iain Dale said  he was at a function in Eastbourne this week and  said Nigel Lawson was there and he  is now in a wheelchair.  Just thought  I would mention it for what it's worth.

• Like 5

He also stated that Sunak who wanted to meet his father in Summer 2020 had to travel to see him as Nigel then 88 was unable to travel.

Nigel Lawson was trending on Twitter and I got my hopes up for a minute

Apparently he has endorsed Rishi Sunak in the leadershit race

On 04/08/2022 at 12:04, Bibliogryphon said:

Nigel Lawson was trending on Twitter and I got my hopes up for a minute

Apparently he has endorsed Rishi Sunak in the leadershit race

His son now said he prevailed on him to write the article and in his latest comment states his father is "not in the best of health".

• Like 1

Revealed on the UK Parliament website this morning that he retired from the House of Lords on 31st December.

His place in that chamber and the power to make contributions meant a lot to him, so I would suggest this signals the end is nigh.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Revealed on the UK Parliament website this morning that he retired from the House of Lords on 31st December.

His place in that chamber and the power to make contributions meant a lot to him, so I would suggest this signals the end is nigh.

It does. 

Through it might not be a for a few months or so- retirement is not mandatory and therefore if he felt he was going to die pretty soon he might not have bothered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

It does. 

Through it might not be a for a few months or so- retirement is not mandatory and therefore if he felt he was going to die pretty soon he might not have bothered. 

Kind of wish he was a stronger consideration for my own deathlist now

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I feel these announcements somehow always come out at the beginning of the year. Just today, Senator Bob Casey announced his cancer diagnosis. It's almost like people are aware of these lists and time their announcements to throw us off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He planned this departure date nearly a year ago I believe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I feel these announcements somehow always come out at the beginning of the year. Just today, Senator Bob Casey announced his cancer diagnosis. It's almost like people are aware of these lists and time their announcements to throw us off.

He announced his retirement a long time before and set the date.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm believing nowt until the National Enquirer reports he's in his sad last days.

Or maybe I'm bitter from not having him within sight of any of my teams this year

• Like 2

Field, Hurd, Tebbit and Skinner are all in more vulnerable states than Lawson IMO

Lawson is not a bad pick for 2023 but I get the vibe he is not in any immediate danger, just wanting a quiet retirement and will likely get in a couple years of retirement before he goes. But yes, obvious declining health in advanced age probably played a part in his decision to finally step down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Times death notice for Lawson's second wife, The Lady Thérèse Lawson (née Maclear), aged 76.

Nigel Lawson has now outlived both of his wives.

Spoiler

LAWSON The Lady Thérèse Mary on 31st January 2023, aged 76, at home. Dearly loved mother of Tom and Emily, grandmother, sister and friend. Her humour, sparkle and kindness will be for ever missed by the many who knew and loved her. Funeral at 1.30pm on 7th March at St Peter’s, Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8RY. Funeral directors: Richard Steel & Partners, 01962 862333.

• Like 4