Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

Who Should Be on the 2012 DeathList?

what about people like Carl Reiner, Joan Rivers, Ed Asner, Warren Beatty, & Dick Van Dyke? they were all born in either the 20's or 30's, I believe.

Wouldn't bother with Beatty, he's only 75 in March, still active and his bed-hopping years seem to be well behind him. The others are all worthy of consideration, especially Reiner

He was still born in the 30's. ;) & so was his older sister, Shirley Maclaine. & while we're at it, what about Ned Beatty?

Nelson Mandela (gone back to his village to await death - can't be a good sign!)

Robbie Coltrane (my medical books tell me he must die soon)

Christopher Hitchens

Muhammad Ali

Robin Gibb

Margaret Thatcher

Nigel Lawson

Al Megrahi

Clive James

Stephen Hawking

Aye, in the absence of Keith Richards Coltrane's high-octane/high-calorie lifestyle may be the most rock 'n' roll pick included in the half century of doom, or summat. He is likely to go suddenly, and probably by way of a sudden pulling up followed by a collision with the floor. So it might as well be in 2012.

If they can put Brooke Astor on the list, they can put Johannes Heesters on it.

Brooke Astor was more well known that Johannes Heesters - and more likely to get a suitable obit.

At 108 (109 in 2012), I think Heesters would be the oldest candidate we've ever had.*

*Except Ruby Muhammed, depending on her actual age (which I maintain, based on the evidence, was 10 years younger than stated).

Al Jaffee - (born March 13, 1921)

Isn't this just another ideas and possibilities thread under a different guise?

Just a bit more pertinent. Ideas and Possibilities is more about the heath and status of celebs which might be in the next year's list. This is much more a debate as to whose actually going in, with a couple of weeks until D-Day...

Just a bit more pertinent. Ideas and Possibilities is more about the heath and status of celebs which might be in the next year's list. This is much more a debate as to whose actually going in, with a couple of weeks until D-Day...

Either way, it's akin to taking Stevie Wonder around the Louvre or appointing Beckham to the CERN committee, believe me. I know who picks the list and I know how likely they are to either read or take the blindest bit of notice*. Still, it's all good fun and I'll try and come up with my own list of ten before the year's out.

* with the possible exception of Welshy

Either way, it's akin to taking Stevie Wonder around the Louvre or appointing Beckham to the CERN committee, believe me. I know who picks the list and I know how likely they are to either read or take the blindest bit of notice*. Still, it's all good fun and I'll try and come up with my own list of ten before the year's out.

* with the possible exception of Welshy

Can confirm I am reading the thread ::-)

It's also more "names that you wouldn't be surprised to see on the front page" as well. DL isn't going to put on people who write a blog about battling cancer, Australian news readers or baseball coaches like some DDPers.

Considering DL's penchant in previous years for picking Nazi and Royalty, can I throw two other names in the mix not already mentioned;

Roschus Misch - has terminal cancer, the "last survivor" of Hitler's Bunker

King Bhumibol of Thailand - multiple ailments and any mention of him being ill is heavily cracked down upon - any chance of ranter fire is welcome in these rather sanitised days.

Guest Saibasabu

I would suggest Florence Green who is past 110. She is the last official veteran of World War I. Although she isn't a celebrity, the circumstances make her notable.

Some would likely disagree but I'd put in George Bush Sr. as a surprise wildcard entrant. Nobody might see it coming but I'd put my money on this being the year for him or a lesser possibility of Jimmy Carter.

And take Aretha Franklin and Michael Douglas off the list.

I would suggest Florence Green who is past 110. She is the last official veteran of World War I. Although she isn't a celebrity, the circumstances make her notable.

Millions of people served during the First World War. She is only notable because she has outlived the rest of them due to her advanced age. It would, therefore, be against the unwritten rules to put her on the list because she is famous only for being old (and therefore ill if you count 'extreme old age' as an illness).

Thats probably the reason why the likes of Henry Allingham and Harry Patch were never put on the list.

A bit of a long shot and very US-centric but what about considering that Ron Paul bloke? He is the leading Republican candidate in a number of straw polls at the moment.

"The most contentious issue for Republicans is Ron Paul's views on foreign policy and civil liberties. He voted against the Iraq war, he voted against the Patriot Act, he wants to stop the current wars, bring American troops home from their bases in ~150 countries around the world, close Guantanamo Bay, end government torture, and stop the war-mongering against Iran..."

Source: http://www.abc.net.a...ed/3730604.html

I am sure that those sane attitudes would make him a ripe target for assassination by the "hawk" nutters in the US military-industrial complex if he ever gets too close to the top job.

Other than that, the bloke is 76 so the campaigning is sure to take a bit of a toll on him.

2012 seems like one of those years a lot of former Heads Of States kick the bucket.

I am thinking most or all of Kim Jong Il, Piet de Jong,Robert Mugabe, George HW Bush and Yitzhak Shamir won't see out the year

Guest Guest

Johanns Heesters is definitely a good choice for the 2012 list - both notable in his own right and very old (108!). The fact that he supposedly performed in front of Hitler should make him notorious enough to get a UK obituary. Definitely would be a better choice than some on the 2011 list, like Ayatollah Ali Khamenei or Aretha Franklin.

Guest cold rocker

I think that in the top list should be full with the names of the persons that i hate like my class.!!!!They deserve to die..

2012 seems like one of those years a lot of former Heads Of States kick the bucket.

I am thinking most or all of Kim Jong Il, Piet de Jong,Robert Mugabe, George HW Bush and Yitzhak Shamir won't see out the year

and let's not forget Thatcher!

I'd say Bush has a couple more years left in him. There are more likely candidates that can be put on the list

I'd like to nominate June Foray the voice behind Rocky Squirrel.

At 94, although no reported health problems, could still be a possibility.

Johanns Heesters is definitely a good choice for the 2012 list - both notable in his own right and very old (108!). The fact that he supposedly performed in front of Hitler should make him notorious enough to get a UK obituary. Definitely would be a better choice than some on the 2011 list, like Ayatollah Ali Khamenei or Aretha Franklin.

I'd sooner see the Ayatollah on the list - even if he were to survive 2012 and Heesters were to die.