Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

New Year Greetings

Happy New Year

Just spent last hour in total darkness due to power cut caused by storms. Got me thinking what do you do when there is no power? Iwas at a total loss, couldn't even see what was in the fridge. How our lives depend on electricity. No internet, no TV ONLY mp4 player (and bottle of whisky to keep me company) :) Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all

<---- raising a glass of Bruadar to one and all...

Happy New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ONE AND ALL!

Hope everyone has a prosperous and thoroughly enjoyable 2007. :)

2007hny2amv7.gif

New Year Greetings to every one of you!

Happy New Year!!!

Happy new year everyone. I'm going back to bed. Between other refreshments, I drank a yard of ale last night, finished 3rd out of 21 in our village's annual speed drinking competition. The thrill of success in only fleeting, the hangover lasts all day.

Best wishes for a peaceful and happy New Year everyone. I'm off round my brother's to get slaughtered.

Enjoy yourself LB, I'm heading round to one of our neighbouring farms expecting the same fate.

A guid new year to all deathlisters.

Enjoy yourself LB, I'm heading round to one of our neighbouring farms expecting the same fate.

A guid new year to all deathlisters.

I wish you all health, wealth and happiness.

I am very glad to get this year over and done with. It has been difficult and stressful.

A house move later this week will see the end of all the shite and, I hope, the true beginning of a new year for the FN household.

To those I met this year, I had a great time and you were all far too nice!!!

To those I have yet to meet, hope to see some of you in 2008 on another DL p*ss up.

Best wishes everbody

From the ( quite nice really) LFN ;)

Happy New Year to everyone, i'm currently at work and getting ready for midnight.

Happy New Year everyone. I'm f*****g working. ;)

Yes, Happy New Year to one and all.

May the fullness of time bring many points.

Happy New Year to you all, may 2008 bring you all lots of wealth, health and happiness. scsi and I have been loaded with the flu for 2 days so we struggled to get ready for the 'bells', worth it though. We've had a great time, one of our neighbours who lives on the other side of our quadrant had a piper in his front garden, playing traditional Scottish songs beautifully, fireworks going off everywhere too, the only thing I missed was all the boats on the Clyde blowing their horns, could be they didn't want to after the tragedy of the Flying Phantom 2 weeks ago, a poignant reminder of a sad year, or perhaps the fireworks going off drowned them out.

I wonder if anyone else does this - open the front and back doors of your house just before midnight on Hogmanay/New Years Eve to let out the old year and welcome in the new year? I do and I open all the windows too.

We used to knock on doors and give people pieces of coal. But Margaret Thatcher put an end to that.

We used to knock on doors and give people pieces of coal. But Margaret Thatcher put an end to that.

Ah, first footing Godot, something to burn, the traditional 'first foot' should be tall and dark and they bring 'something to eat' 'something to drink' and 'something to burn', coals being the norm in my childhood. My parents had coal fires long into my 20's and even into my early 30's, so bits of of coal weren't hard to come by here. It's folklore here, you don't step over your door until you have a ''first foot",if you do bad luck will come your way. The 'first foot' is the first person to enter your home after the 'bells', he must bring the aforementioned 'somethings' (and he should be tall and dark!), it can result in people not going out for even a pint of milk cause they haven't had a ff.

Happy New Year! Well, most of y'all are well into 1/1 by now but it's only 2:21am here. I'm heading off to bed so I can get up by noon and make black-eyed peas and cornbread. Gotta have black-eyed peas on New Years Day or the rest of the year isn't worth sh*t, or summat. ;)

Ah, first footing Godot, something to burn, the traditional 'first foot' should be tall and dark and they bring 'something to eat' 'something to drink' and 'something to burn', coals being the norm in my childhood. My parents had coal fires long into my 20's and even into my early 30's, so bits of of coal weren't hard to come by here. It's folklore here, you don't step over your door until you have a ''first foot",if you do bad luck will come your way. The 'first foot' is the first person to enter your home after the 'bells', he must bring the aforementioned 'somethings' (and he should be tall and dark!), it can result in people not going out for even a pint of milk cause they haven't had a ff.

Ah, those were the days LG, brings it all back. I used to kind of qualify in a "you'll do" sort of way. I think I'd get the door slammed in my face these days.

Have just been discussing this with the Missus and she says that around our way the first footer was expected to come armed with: a coin of the realm "to buy you the necessities of life," a piece of coal to keep you warm, a green twig to "remind you of God's good earth," and a piece of bread to keep you from starvation. No drink though, but I expect you could just breathe on them.

I'm surprised that Tesco haven't started marketing a "first footer kit" in Scotland.

I like the green twig bit, comfortingly pagan if you exclude the reference to God that I'm sure was only included to hide the pagan undertones.

I will be taking the one taiking photos

That would be a little distracting for the photographer. I hope he's got anti-shake mode on his camera.

As we say in Maryport:

A'd like ter wish everyone 'ereabouts a dead barie new year, wid the exception ov the fifty individuals whee'll find themsells on uz lis'.

hny2008dl8fp9.png

Bloody hell, I've still got a headache, I feel sick, I had absolutely NO sleep last night due to dossing on an air bed with Mr LB who has a snoring habit (that, and every time he rolled over I was catapulted into the air) and I've got to be up early tomorrow for a trip to London. But I've already done my good deed for 2008, we found a drunkard with a gaping hole in his head on the driveway at about 1am, so we saved him by giving him a tea towel for his injury and calling the paramedics. Hurrah, I don't have to do another kind act for 365 days now.

Hearty good wishes for 2008 all!