Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

New Year Greetings

Happy belated New Year to you all! May it be a year of deadlines successfully met.

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year.

Welcome back Windsor, we wondered if this list of names given to Scottish babies in 2007 (scroll down to page 67) might have been the reason for your absence :rolleyes: .

Happy New Year.

Welcome back Windsor, we wondered if this list of names given to Scottish babies in 2007 (scroll down to page 67) might have been the reason for your absence :rolleyes: .

20 Jades, 4 Jordans, 1 Kylie and 1 Windsor.

9 Gordons and 8 Maximillians

Happy New Year.

Thanks LG.

:banghead:

Windsor junior is not mine.

I was pissed off to read that the name 'Alex' became more popular in 2007. Who would name their child after that tub of lard.

Happy New Year.

Thanks LG.

I was pissed off to read that the name 'Alex' became more popular in 2007. Who would name their child after that tub of lard.

I think you will only have to start worrying when someone names their child 'Salmond'!

Happy New Year.

Thanks LG.

I think you will only have to start worrying when someone names their child 'Salmond'!

15 Conners this year, but not a single solitary Connery.

My personal favourites on that list.

I (1) Great name!

Happy (1) Give it 3 years....

Keane (2!) Christ on a bike!

Imogem (1) At least spell it right.

Jordanne (1) As above, but with added horror

Limo (1) Guess where he was conceived, class!

Moyes (1) Everton fan.

Neo (3) There is no spoon. No f*****g brain either....

Chanel (8) Armani (1) Deimante (2) Mercedez (1)Ah, you cant buy class.

Babyjane (1) She's got Bette Davis eyes

Temperance (1) Future Bucky Drinker.

Zinedine (1) see below

Zidane (1) see above

Soham (1) Now that's just so wrong

MacCartney (1) don't have a leg to stand on

Lettice (1) Large green head

Larkin (1) They've f**ked her up, her mum and dad...perfick.

My personal favourites on that list.

I (1) Great name!

Happy (1) Give it 3 years....

Keane (2!) Christ on a bike!

Imogem (1) At least spell it right.

Jordanne (1) As above, but with added horror

Limo (1) Guess where he was conceived, class!

Moyes (1) Everton fan.

Neo (3) There is no spoon. No f*****g brain either....

Babyjane (1) She's got Bette Davis eyes

Temperance (1) Future Bucky Drinker.

Zinedine (1) see below

Zidane (1) see above

Soham (1) Now that's just so wrong

MacCartney (1) don't have a leg to stand on

Lettice (1) Large green head

Larkin (1) They've f**ked her up, her mum and dad...perfick.

This may have been discussed before, but don't some countries have something like a Department of Sensible Names, and if you put something forward for your child and it's just ridiculous, they can block it? Most of those on the list above should be given the boot.

Kids should be given the option, at say age 10, of picking a new name if they want to. As if the whole "that child is an extension of me" concept isn't enough, the parent gets to choose one of the most important things about a person, something that will stay with them the rest of their life. They obviously must not get Big Brother in Scotland, otherwise how would 20 people have called their kid "Jade"?

Speaking of BB, is anyone in Britain watching the current format? What a great idea - let's have a celebrity Big Brother, we just won't have any celebrities in the house.

Anyway, Happy New Year DL'ers!

Kids should be given the option, at say age 10, of picking a new name if they want to. As if the whole "that child is an extension of me" concept isn't enough, the parent gets to choose one of the most important things about a person, something that will stay with them the rest of their life.

Is that a wise idea given the sort of things 10 year olds like, if that had happened when I was 10, most kids would have changed their name to Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker or possible even Chewbacca.

I see there is a Boudicca on the list too :rolleyes:.

According to Stephen Pile's "Heroic Failures" a Kent couple once gave their child the fine name of "Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake"

In the school where my other half works, there's a kid called Dejernee.

She's going to cop it so hard when they start learning French.

Oh, and there's also Satin Heaven and her brother Silk.

(edit, my friends cousin was named after the entire Brazil 1970 World Cup squad and Diego Maradonna (full names as well.)

Had about 130-odd names as I recall)

Kids should be given the option, at say age 10, of picking a new name if they want to. As if the whole "that child is an extension of me" concept isn't enough, the parent gets to choose one of the most important things about a person, something that will stay with them the rest of their life.

Is that a wise idea given the sort of things 10 year olds like, if that had happened when I was 10, most kids would have changed their name to Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker or possible even Chewbacca.

I see there is a Boudicca on the list too :rolleyes:.

I'd trust the average ten year old kid over a parent giddy with either joy or relief at the arrival of their progeny to make the best choice for a name. And "Han Solo" would be an awesome name - any kid called that would get tons of action as he got older, even if today's generation didn't know the movie character.

In fact, it's so cool I shall plan to name my as-yet hypothetical first child just that.

Some more crackers from that list

Hamza (1) I've got a great idea for a name, it's a notorious religious extremist with one arm

Fendi (1) The designer curse continues

Ebow (1) A great bit of kit for a guitarist, but a childs name?

Dre (1) Ain't nothin but a G thang

J (2) Your kids sh*t name isn't even unique

Hansen (1) That's just shocking defending

Ming (1) Have mercy!

Rhythm (1) No one will ever be able to spell her name correctly

Sno (1) Sno good

Siouxsie (1) Oh dear

There's something odd about that list. No William, No Andrew. No Robert. Are we to believe that in the land of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce with a Patron saint called Andrew, people opt instead for some name off the telly? Surely not.

Yet there were 296 Bens. That's as daft as calling your Scottish son Glen.

Boys on the left, girls on the right, Godot.

William, 176

Robert 158 and distubingly, Robbie 135

Andrew 288

And that's before the Wills, Bills, Bobs, Robs, Andys etc.

There's something odd about that list. No William, No Andrew. No Robert. Are we to believe that in the land of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce with a Patron saint called Andrew, people opt instead for some name off the telly? Surely not.

I'm surprised there are none called Burberry.

Only two Jeremy's as well.

I got the impression from mid-morning television that chavs/neds were producing about 75% of all Britain's children.

Surely by the age of ten they are thinking about the names they will be giving their own not so hypothetical first child?

If only Gordon could raise the age of puberty, I swear it is getting younger with every passing year.

Here endeth the gospel according to Stereotypus.

Boys on the left, girls on the right, Godot.

William, 176

Robert 158 and distubingly, Robbie 135

Andrew 288

And that's before the Wills, Bills, Bobs, Robs, Andys etc.

Ah, didn't scan it properly, thought that was odd.

Guest Liliacanada

Where you are going to meet new year?

They do say the Upper Thracian Plain is nice at that time of year. Can you suggest a pub?

I admit that it's getting exciting. The beginning of a new year is a time to motivate ourselves towards goals which will lead us into other phases. It's a time of renewal. I must also admit that the whole "New Years celebration" is a little overdone. All I really need on New Years is a drink and some satisfying appetizers. It's that time of year which is really my prime time.

Edited by Lady Grendel
New Year topic merged

Probably Aberdeenshire, depends if I can bothered to make the effort and right at this point in time that ain't appealing, but neither is Xmas....bah...humbug......