The Unknown Man

The Dead Of 2012

This thread is an abortion at the best of times, tbh, but especially when our beloved guests/sub-100-post contributors decide to turn it into "C+P a Wikipedia notification monthly".

My favourite is when they do that but try and make out like they have an idea of who the person they're talking about is, so they say shit like "the business world is in morning after ceo of illinois tool works david speer dies of cancer"

Maybe just limit posts in this thread to people who've been with the site long enough?

Kenny Morgans - Munich air crash survivor has died

Search option as outlined above - http://www.deathlist...ndpost&p=178871

Both of you should have used the search option. News of his death was posted here yesterday.

I've said this before, but I think all deaths should be recorded in the "Dead of (current year)" thread. That way, we have a comprehensive record of the year's deaths in one place.

Wikipedia?

Sorry Toast, for once I'm in agreement with Windsor - if you want to know who has died, go to the wikipedia deaths page. The DL should aspire to higher things. I hate The Dead thread and I'd lock it if I could; it's the natural habitat of the lazy and the unimaginative - iain's spiritual home. There are hundreds of great, interesting threads where just about every death could be found a suitable home if people would make the effort.

Quite probably true, but that brings us back to the question of 'how many threads should a death be posted in?'

There is also the problem of some of the threads not being great, interesting - for example the 'Munich Air Crash Survivors' thread; five posts in less than 24 hours of the thread being opened, then lying dormant for the best part of three years.

Finally, without 'The Dead Of' thread you'd probably get drive-by guests popping in to start threads on just about anybody that croaks just because they can't be arsed to use the search function to find the proper thread. At least this way, they're pretty much contained.

My two-penn'orth for what its worth.

There shouldn't be any guests. Members only...

• Like 1

There shouldn't be any guests. Members only...

Agreeded, 90% of the time, guests only pollute the forums with their innane comments, ideas, and outdated updates.

• Like 1

I generally don't mind a death being posted in two different places.

What does annoy me is when:

1) A death is reported for a second time in the same thread, about two posts down from the first post.

2) Someone posts about a death about two weeks after it has first been reported and discussed.

3) If one person posts/reports a death in multiple threads.

Genuine errors don't really bother me.

I think we should keep the Dead of 2012 thread, mainly because not every celebrity has a thread of their own...and I've always been told that creating a new thread for a newly dead celebrity is frowned upon by management...(they are no use to us dead so why have a thread to discuss it).

"I've said this before, but I think all deaths should be recorded in the "Dead of (current year)" thread. That way, we have a comprehensive record of the year's deaths in one place."

Hear, hear! 'Dead of 2012' should mean what it says and not 'Dead of 2012 except those who have threads in some other places...'

• Like 1

A combination of sides .. you just want to grab a fistful of sides all together and smash them in your favorite spicy nacho salsa. Obviously your not into the main course.

A combination of sides .. you just want to grab a fistful of sides all together and smash them in your favorite spicy nacho salsa. Obviously your not into the main course.

Delightfully irrelevant. Thank you Banshees and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all my deathlist friends.

• Like 1

hmm...very sad...not overely familiar with her tho...and I presume she was completely off the radar in 2011?

Guest Harry Lagman

This thread is an abortion at the best of times, tbh, but especially when our beloved guests/sub-100-post contributors decide to turn it into "C+P a Wikipedia notification monthly".

pot-calling-the-kettle-black.jpg?w=630

Chris Stamp - co-managed the Who

Terence's wee brother if I mind right?

Michael Cole; not the effete some-time journo, press officer and television presenter (did I ever tell you about the time I was a guest on his show?)

Anyway, we're talking British spunk, eccentricity and a strange visionary ability. So it's the Daily Telegraph that wrote him up best.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/9701971/Squadron-Leader-Michael-Cole.html

Michael Cole; not the effete some-time journo, press officer and television presenter (did I ever tell you about the time I was a guest on his show?)

Anyway, we're talking British spunk, eccentricity and a strange visionary ability. So it's the Daily Telegraph that wrote him up best.

http://www.telegraph...chael-Cole.html

Where the fuck is the Torygraph getting all these names from? Do their obit writers hang outside veterans clubs and slip a tenner into the pocket of the barmen when they leave in order to get some tips?

Where the fuck is the Torygraph getting all these names from? Do their obit writers hang outside veterans clubs and slip a tenner into the pocket of the barmen when they leave in order to get some tips?

All joking aside, it'll be something along those lines. Basically a combination of a matchless network amongst those highly individual but also highly clubbable types coupled with an open door policy everytime some upper-crust accent rings their obits desk and opens a conversation with; "Can I speak to someone about an obituary, you see, my old chum Bunny just bought it, dashed fine fellow he was..."

All joking aside, it'll be something along those lines. Basically a combination of a matchless network amongst those highly individual but also highly clubbable types coupled with an open door policy everytime some upper-crust accent rings their obits desk and opens a conversation with; "Can I speak to someone about an obituary, you see, my old chum Bunny just bought it, dashed fine fellow he was..."

Or it could be just a case of bunging a few quid each month in a brown envelope to a public servent in the records office just to give them a call if someone interesting should come up, (so to speak!) No reason to suspect that News corp are the only ones doing it!

Best regards

Syd